1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Joe 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

This is a fascinating piece:-
    "COVID-19 patients experience many symptoms: Fever, chills, muscle pain, loss of taste or smell, sore throat, cough. But one of the biggest concerns for Dr. Jeff Pothof, chief quality officer at UW Health, is shortness of breath.

"If you're going to get in trouble with COVID-19, it's going to be based on your inability to breathe," Pothof said.

For some COVID-19 patients, the disease can look like Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome, or ARDS, a life-threatening condition in which fluid builds up in the lungs. Mechanical ventilators offer one way to treat those symptoms, and some hospitals have used them often as COVID-19’s epicenter shifted from China to Europe to the United States.

Fears of ventilator shortages spread around the country in the pandemic’s early days, and states including Wisconsin developed guidelines about who should have access to the machines if supplies ran short.

And ventilators have some benefits compared to other alternatives. Continuous positive airway pressure — or CPAP — machines may be more likely to spread the virus in a room, requiring more health workers to wear more protective gear, which is in short supply.

But Pothof is among experts in Wisconsin and across the country who now say the jury is still out about how effectively ventilators treat COVID-19, particularly for patients with less severe symptoms. A recent study of New York’s largest health system showed one-fourth of COVID-19 patients put on ventilators had died within weeks, and Wisconsin hospitals appear to be limiting their use of the tool.

Far from a shortage, state Department of Health Services data indicates Wisconsin had 1,265 ventilators available Monday morning, nearly four times the 327 patients using them. The surplus is one positive sign in Wisconsin’s effort to flatten the curve of coronavirus infections, and it’s an example of how medical experts can rapidly evolve their thinking while confronting a novel virus.

"We now think putting someone on a ventilator is almost a death sentence," Dr. Paul Casey, medical director of Bellin Health Emergency Services in Green Bay told WPR’s "The Morning Show" on April 22."

Maybe they could ask the good people in Wisconsin to send them some.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Uh.... the last line of your article shows it appears to be from over 3 months ago.

NewRoxFan and RayRay10 like this.
  3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

wow. Biden is mentally slow and senile.

Wattafan likes this.
  4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So even though you have been shown there were ventilators, you're still going to stick with the false narrative that there weren't any?

As for the plan left by the Obama administration it was not the same as the WHO or CDC plans. This plan book spoke specifically about how to deal with which agencies and regulations needed to get supplies, deliver them etc. Did you not read the links that I gave you because you asked for them?

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Seems wrong that they think putting people on a vent of a death sentence. I know a lot of people don't come off them though.

#2405 Two Sandwiches, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  6. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I think you will find his handlers will keep him cloistered away so he doesn't have to make speeches or anything.
    I am gonna lay money that he will not even accept invitations to the Presidential debates.
    Of course, it will be under the premise of the Covid 19 scare.

7. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

And well into the virus outbreak.
    About the time the media was in a panic about The Great Respirator Shortage.

8. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

You will have to ask the media about that one.
    I didn't bother with the links as I told you - I did my own research.

9. bobrek

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

"Should I take insulin"

RayRay10, jiggyfly, mtbrays and 2 others like this.
  10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

My gosh, all this has been discussed extensively before. It was a 69 page document titled "Playbook for Early Response to High-Consequence Emerging Infectious Disease Threats and Biological Incidents"from the National Security Council and similar documents were created for the Department of Health and Human Services and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The playbook lists types of infectious disease threats that could emerge. “Novel coronaviruses” were among pathogens flagged as having potential to cause heightened concern.

Only after the playbook surfaced (after trump. mcconnell, and others' early lie that no such playbook was ever developed and shared by the Obama admin) did trump and his admin change their lie (and mcconnell did the rare thing and admit he was completely wrong)... "

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation...ok-for-trump-administration-officials-confirm
    https://khn.org/news/evidence-shows-obama-team-left-a-pandemic-game-plan-for-trump-administration/
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/14/mcconnell-obama-playbook-pandemic-259969
    https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...dmin-gave-trump-pandemic-for-dummies-playbook

Here's a link to the actual playbook: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/6819268/Pandemic-Playbook.pdf

And heck, ex officials even pointed out the trump admin didn't follow the playbook, after the Obama admin had success doing so with the swine flu pandemic:

'They didn't run the plays': Ex-officials say Trump administration didn't use pandemic 'playbooks'
    Trump criticized a "system we inherited," but ex-officials say plans existed.
    https://abcnews.go.com/Health/run-p...stration-pandemic-playbooks/story?id=71999769

Again, you are ignorantly re-arguing a lie that has long since been proven wrong. Researching this before you post would avoid further embarrassing yourself. But you be you...

RayRay10, jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

It's a shame Fauci couldn't have been more succinct early on about mask wearing (a key element in a pandemic) instead of waffling on.
    How differently might this have all played out...
    Your attempts at self vindication by belittling another relevant opinion are amusing.
    But you be you.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. bobrek

Yet even when he has been succinct, the President had months to agree with him and encourage folks to do so, yet chose not to. Had Trump done so, how differently might this have all played out...

13. NewRoxFan

Again, you bring up the absence of a playbook (which you now falsely categorize as "another relevant opinion'). I post numerous articles proving a playbook existed and was provided to trump. I even post the actual playbook.

So instead of acknowledging you are wrong (as usual), something mcconnell even did, you switch now to whether Fauci advised people to not buy medical masks (since medical and first responders needed them).

Just admit you are just wrong (no surprise), take the loss, and do research before posting here.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Ah, so do we listen to a medical expert or a non medical expert....

15. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

?
    No mention of a playbook in my previous post.
    But since you brought it up again, the government had playbooks to operate from - the CDC's version and the WHO's version.
    Question, are these worthless?

16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol. Joe ripping a page out of the Trump playbook. bigly.

RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  17. NewRoxFan

You are so lost you don't even read your own posts. Here is the post by some idiot that I responded to, perhaps you will recognize the name?

As I posted, the playbook was developed by the National Security Council. Other documents were created for the Department of Health and Human Services and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. And I linked the actual playbook... you can read, can't you?

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. bobrek

We should listen to a medical expert, as should our leader. Our leader should reinforce the medical expert's opinion and encourage the citizens of the country he leads to follow suit. He should set an example and not ridicule political opponents who do wear masks.

Please show me which of the above you disagree with.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Government's playbook here.
    Please, show us where this is deficient.

20. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

The first.
    Fauci was not clear about mask wearing early on.