1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Joe 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Apr 25, 2019.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya the defund the police movement in my opinion was a short sighted knee jerk reaction. And too many people were rushing to defend it even me I believe.

Defunding the police isn't the solution to police brutality. Higher quality screening of recruits, higher standards, which means an INCREASE in pay to cops and a change in a warrior mindset is what's going to solve the police brutality issue.

The violent crime issue in these neighborhoods is a economic and criminal justice issue in my opinion.

Of course Trump isn't going to paint those issues as economic issues and is going to go full on "tough on crime". If that rhetoric wins him the election, I'm done with this country.

#2221 fchowd0311, Jul 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Coincidentally as I'm typing on local MN news they are showing one of Trump's ads about defunding the police.

This is one that I agree with Pelosi the language needs to be changed but that it's out there and was pushed by protesters makes it difficult.

RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have seen that add it's pretty efective but IMO too over the top wich blunts it's message.

It also seems that the defund the police has lost a lot of steam.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

New Joe Biden ad...

5. Buck Turgidson

Reforming the police system and structure in this country is a many-faceted problem. Re-focusing the police to doing actual "policing", and not dealing with social issues like mental health, homelessness, truancy, etc...is just part of it, in addition to what you mentioned and several others (de-militarization, much more training in de-escalation would be high on the list).

At least that's how I view the Defund movement.

Nook, RayRay10, mdrowe00 and 2 others like this.
  6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

In order to accomplish what they need to accomplish(the things you mentioned...which I am most certainly in favor of), the need to increase funds to the police. Not defund.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why do you think they need to increase funds?

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. Two Sandwiches

The amount of training these people need to undergo, (i.e. about ten times as much as they currently do), coupled with fair compensation, and hiring on more auxillary staff (social workers, etc. etc.) seems like it would definitely cost more.

dmoneybangbang and RayRay10 like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Maybe they have enough money but need to prioritize the funds better?

RayRay10 and Andre0087 like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

No, that's legit. We don't have to "rob Peter to pay Paul". We have to be allocating more funds to social issues like I mentioned.

"Refocus The Police" is a better motto, but nobody asks me.

RayRay10, jiggyfly and Two Sandwiches like this.
  11. Two Sandwiches

There is potential that the it's the case, of course.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. NewRoxFan

trump's campaign's sense of what would be an effective ad is sure... weird.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Since the original tweet was already deleted, here's the original from Steve Guest (GOP Rapid Response Director). He did his job...he rapidly deleted his tweet that was in bad taste

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's amazing how incompetent his staff is, who the hell thought this was a good idea and then to call his kid a crack smoker?

And you don't even know if its Hunter Biden?

And this from a guy who has a real position in the campaign.

Those internal poll numbers must be looking terrible.

RayRay10 and Andre0087 like this.
  15. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Yep...and it wasn't Hunter...it was Joe's other son, Beau who passed in 2015.

Nook likes this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

My God!

What kind of special idiot does that?

Who hires these guys?

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. NewRoxFan

Latest Biden ad... targeting Texas...

baller4life315, joshuaao and RayRay10 like this.
  18. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/20...wing-everything-biden-nothing-sticks-n1233097

'Difficult to attack vanilla': Trump's throwing everything at Biden but nothing is sticking
    It's different from four years ago when the president was "helped by the fact that Hillary had 20 years of built-in negatives," one Republican said.

Here's an idea...spend less time attacking, and spend more time on your platform and the successes you've accomplished...oh wait

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Biden's record is longer and more checkered than Hillary Clinton's. It just shows how much visceral hatred there was to Clinton even from many Democrats.

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Biden set to offer newly ambitious climate goals":

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ced8b8-c578-11ea-b037-f9711f89ee46_story.html

excerpt:

Joe Biden’s campaign announced a proposal Tuesday to transform the nation’s energy industry, pledging to eliminate carbon pollution from power plants by 2035 and spend $2 trillion to turbocharge the clean energy economy.

The plan would dramatically reduce the country’s reliance on fossil fuels, and the 15-year timeline for a 100 percent clean electricity standard is far more ambitious than anything Biden has previously proposed.

It is the latest sign of Biden’s attempt to reflect the liberal energy in his party, as well as a response to calls for more sweeping plans to lift an economy that is expected to feel the impact of the coronavirus pandemic for years.

The presumptive Democratic presidential nominee proposes upgrading 4 million buildings and weatherizing 2 million homes over four years, which his campaign estimates would create 1 million jobs. Homeowners would be given cash rebates to upgrade home appliances and install more efficient windows. Car owners would receive rebates to swap their old, less efficient cars for newer ones that release fewer pollutants.

Many of Biden’s proposals, which he plans to outline in a speech Tuesday afternoon in Wilmington, Del., build on the recommendations of a task force made up jointly of allies of Biden and Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.). Those recommendations include plans to dramatically expand solar and wind energy, including the installation of 500 million solar panels and 60,000 wind turbines.
    more at the link

RayRay10 likes this.