1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Joe 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Apr 25, 2019.

1. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

It's not conceding at all. It's just his opinion. The only purpose of this response is to attack him for stating his opinion :rolleyes: I like the throw in at the end too...... "So what you're saying is......." o_O

I'll grab some popcorn.:D

2. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Thank you for that. I died laughing

RayRay10 and Andre0087 like this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Somebody needs some attention today.

RayRay10 and AleksandarN like this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why is this activist group an authority on the B C? They have an opinion just like anybody else.

They don't speak for all black people.

RayRay10, Reeko and AleksandarN like this.
  6. fchowd0311

And I never implied that they do. It's my opinion that the CBC members are first there to serve corporate interests before serving the community that is shared by other people black or otherwise.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So because it is shared by other black people it's true?

It's amazing that you think these people have no ulterior motive just because they say what you believe.

It's troubling that you think you can tell black people what is best for them as well.

Can you even name all the members of the BC and what they are working on in congress?

RayRay10 and Reeko like this.
  8. fchowd0311

No I believe it's true because that's my personal opinion based on who their donors are like it's your personal opinion that the CBC is full of good faith actors who aren't trying to enrich themselves unlike the vast majority of Congress who are.

I don't have to be African American to read their donor list and form my own opinion. Honestly, you aren't going to make a good faith effort in considering my opinion. I doubt you read the articles I posted which show very obvious examples of very obvious personal enrichment by members of the CBC.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/276761-activist-groups-go-after-black-caucus-pac

9. fchowd0311

https://prospect.org/civil-rights/c...ic-cash-boosts-policies-help-private-prisons/

"Congressional Black Caucus (CBC) says it wants to ban private prison companies that profit from mass incarceration, as do many criminal justice reformers. The caucus states on its website that banning private prisons is part of its agenda for the current session of Congress, and it has posted on Facebook recently in support of cities that end their contracts with private prison companies like CoreCivic and GEO Group, scoring hundreds of likes each time.

Despite its public statements, the caucus' affiliated institute has financial ties to CoreCivic, a private prison company that activists say stands in opposition to reforming the criminal justice system"

10. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I wonder how much he pay them? Lol...

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  11. fchowd0311

Are you referring to the CBC and Biden?

Biden doesn't have to pay them. He just has to have his interests aligned with the pharmaceutical and insurance lobbying arm where members of the CBC feel comfortable endorsing him to prevent fallout with those entities that fund them and promise them positions after their office.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have never stated my opinion on the CBC because I don't keep up with them and you saying that it's . my opinion that they are good faith actors shows you are discussing in bad faith.

Yes I read the articles why do you think I challenged who these activist are?

My biggest issue is you thinking most black people can't think for themselves and only voted for Biden because the CBC signed off on him, it's every bit as bad as what Biden said and at least he was trying to make a joke.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

Most Americans don't think for themselves and yes that criticism falls on to me also. They follow the most convenient narrative and are influenced by the media they consume. It's that simple. If the media tells them the CBC are good faith actors who are only there to serve their communties, that's what they will believe.

I never implied that black voters are a hive mind. I'm just curious outside of being Obama's VP and being endorsed by tenured black legislators, why Biden would be the preferred candidate over the other DNC primary candidates especially given his less than stellar record with appeasing segregationists after the Civil Rights Act and authoring a bill responsible for even more of a disproportionate incarceration of black males. I haven't heard ANY reason outside being endorsed by black legislators and being Obama's VP. Those are hollow empty reasons in my personal opinion. Also remember this is a relative comparison between Biden and the rest of the former DNC primary field. Don't invoke Trump here. I'm not looking for "he's better with black people than Trump". That's the lowest bar to hurdle.

It's sad that I actually have to type out "in my opinion". I thought that was a given.

#2074 fchowd0311, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

When has the media said that the CBC is good faith actors, when would the media even talk about the CBC in that light?

You have been implying that black voters are a hive mind since SC and you have done it in this thread, I am not the only one who saw this.

It's very telling that you always complaign about a good faith argument when you can't even admit to something you are doing in this very thread.

The funny thing is you are doing it in this very post questioning why black voters would prefer Biden as if you think those the are main issues that black voters should be basing their votes on.

I am a black voter and I understand the nuances of why he would work with segrfgationist and the fact that black people where supportive of the crime bill because the violence was happening in there community.

If you really want to know the history of who supported the crime bill read below.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...crime-bill-and-americans-short-memory/597547/

But Booker’s implication that the law was simply a cynical sop to fearful white voters is at odds with the political realities of the time, when the bill passed with bipartisan support, including the votes of more than two-thirds of the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC), and with the backing of other black leaders beyond Capitol Hill. This is the second straight presidential election in which the crime bill has loomed as a loaded issue—Hillary Clinton was excoriated from the left in 2016 for her past support—and it will doubtless continue to surface as long as Biden is in the race. The current furor over the law is an object lesson in just how short the American political memory has become, and in how, in hindsight, complicated policy debates get flattened into stark shades of right and wrong.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/analysis-black-leaders-supported-clinton-s-crime-bill-n552961

Curiously, Rangel was among the 11 Congressional Black Caucus members who voted against Clinton's Crime Bill, which did not lack of black support. In addition to the dozens of pastors who signed a letter in support of the bill, it also had the support of black mayors. Kurt Schmoke, the first elected black mayor of Baltimore, was a vigorous supporter.

Even then U.S. Representative Kweisi Mfume, then chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC) who understood the bill was a means to “find better ways to incarcerate people” eventually buckled, not only supporting the bill, but was ultimately responsible for its passage by rallying a majority of CBC members to vote for it after the bill was nearly derailed on a procedural issue.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...94-crime-bill-championed-by-the-clintons.html

There were different levels. On one level, there was grassroots mobilization of the community, particularly by black pastors. There was a group of influential black pastors who signed a letter encouraging the Congressional Black Caucus to support the bill. And then later, on top of that, black elected officials, who portrayed themselves at various points as uncomfortable with some of these laws, went along anyway because of pressure coming from their communities, and because they also realized the problem was so bad. And sometimes their support or opposition was really related to party politics, whether or not the politician pursuing the law was a member of their party, or whether supporting the law would benefit their own political and electoral interests. So it’s a complicated mix for them, in terms of their motivation.

I am in no way condonig this bill but to act like Biden was alone in pushing this bill shows you don't have a grasp of the facts and do not acknoledge that the bill was pushed by black leaders as well.

Oh yeah Sanders also voted for bill so there is that.

RayRay10, Reeko and Nook like this.
  15. fchowd0311

Sanders did vote for the bill but he didn't help author it and had a long speech on the House floor on the dangers of the bill and only signed on because of certain provisions regarding domestic abuse towards women while Biden had no qualms and praised the incarceration part unlike Bernie who lambasted it because well Biden co-authored it.

And yes you are condoning the bill by acting as if some black leaders endorsed it, it shouldn't be a point of criticism of Biden's decision making.

You've yet to explain why majority of the black community should have supported Biden over other candidates outside of being Obama's VP and black legislators endorsing him.

#2076 fchowd0311, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
  16. fchowd0311

Accidental post.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

A reminder... there are two choices for President in 2020... choose wisely...

RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Talk about not arguing in good faith.

When have I ever said Biden should not be criticized?

Why shouldn't Sanders be criticized for voting for it?

I don't have to explain anything all know is that I voted for Biden as a black man because I think he is the right guy for president at this time to stabilize the country and he is the best bet to beat Trump, unlike you I don't try and to speak for the motivations of a group of voters.

Once again you imply that black voters have a hive mind and can't think for themselves.

RayRay10 and Reeko like this.
  19. fchowd0311

Make no mistake about it, I very well know this source is biased but unfortunately it's the only video I can find of Bernie on the House floor discussing the crime bill and a direct comparison of what Biden said. Ignore the biased commentary and click bait title and just watch the clips of Biden and Bernie. They are unedited and you can form your own opinion on who has the right ideas to serve poor communties.