1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. yummyhawtsauce

They have harden locked in for the next 5 years, which means they're locked into 5 more years of first round exits

2. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

This is the biggest thing. Once Lin is gone and people on this forum find another punching bag on the team, if Mchale is still coaching your still going to see the same mistakes over and over again. I really can't see them holding on to Kevin Mchale. If they do, maybe this playoff series will wake him up, but two seasons already and there should be progress. We're still seeing late game closeouts end miserably throughout the season, and its even more magnified against a competent coach in Stotts with Portland in a high-pressure playoff atmosphere. We can't say this is a young team that needs to learn, because two seasons later you still see the same mistakes happen.

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Agreed. There are positives in Lin's game. Showing poise late in games is not one of them. Sure, he's not bad in scoring opportunities(witness the OT win over Portland in March and OT in Game 1 of this series), but I would NOT want the ball in his hands with less the a minute left and leave the decision-making up to him.

4. Play07

Play07 Member

one of the problems coaches will see is harden handling the ball too much and trying to get him to play off ball more and focus more on defense. A new coach will see lin as the next man up who can find other players push pace and get more assist. Yes he will struggle at times get turnovers (all guards do) but with a set system and a coach that trust him he will do better he has the skill set.

so for the fans think lins minutes should be limited be careful what you wish for.

5. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

Regarding the foul, I think that was dictated by the bench, and there really were very few good options at that point as ESPN has analyzed it. By fouling early, you get an extra possession. My initial instinct was to play it out, but all that would mean is another iso-3 ball at the end (assuming Portland didn't score). I think I'd rather take 2-3 possessions over that play.

the layup was a good play. He had daylight and just missed it. It's really no different than Matthews' opportunistic dunk at the end of game 2. An isolation play from Harden isn't really much better than a turnover. Besides, Harden could've actually played some defense and gotten to the 3 pt line to stick a hand in Batum's face. He was in position to do so.

the failure to call timeout was a blunder. i put the blame on Lin for that.

6. steady

steady Member

Yeah, I agree. And while I don't think McHale was trying to throw Lin under the bus in the post game press conference, I do think he failed completely to 'fess up to, or maybe even understand, the fact that he was just as culpable if not more so than Jeremy.

7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Might as well get this thread running again.

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

McHale deserves coach of the year

9. Franchize

Franchize Member

A hold, a hoop, and a hold we will win

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

leaving both harden and howard on the bench to start the first 4min of the 4th was utterly stupid. blew a 9pt lead yet again. when will this charlatan learn?

11. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Hey it only took 4 and a half games to see a change in philosophy in guarding LMA of the pick.

12. Hmm

Hmm Member

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/1b2OVCn5xI0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&start=10&autoplay=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/1b2OVCn5xI0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&start=10&autoplay=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

13. Hmm

Hmm Member

Don't get excited yet... Let's see how Portland adjusts...

After all, it's not like they have McHale at the helm...

14. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Good plan. So basically we "just" need to stop them from scoring and we need to score...got it coach...

If only I was a foot taller an played with Larry Bird...

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

warm it up cheke..

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Thank you McHale for all you have done which is not much

Now please just resign.

17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Mchale has to go man. Has to.

18. Mr. Space City

if he's back next year our season is over before it even starts

19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Unbelievable how we repeatedly get beaten by 3's with very little to no time left.

Remember Steve Blake, remember James Anderson

20. RYAN3053

RYAN3053 Member

I won't watch near as many games next year if he is back. I can't get excited about something that I know will end badly.