1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Elizabeth Warren for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Call it now........ you are the DNC.

You get to pick the ticket, who is it?

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really think Klobuchar. For all @fchowd0311 's emphasis on how erudite EW is, I think Klobuchar has an appeal that can cross over to the Trumpians.

But of course that would be the smart move. If I am really the DNC? I'll rig it so that Hillary runs and loses again. :D

MojoMan likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

and remember, @fchowd0311 . . . Obama was an absolute NOBODY in the Senate. He won despite his Senatorial record

4. Nook

Nook Member

Hmm.... yes she is interesting and some what safe.

What would be interest is if Beto emerges, and he takes someone like Klobuchar as VP....... talk about a high risk/reward move.

5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

maybe. I'm not sure Beto has what Obama had. I'm not sure Beto has ANY crossover appeal at all. But I'm not from Texas, I don't really know him other than the basics from the most recent election

Nook likes this.
  6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Elizabeth Warren Comes Out Swinging Right at Joe Lieberman’s Sleazy Old Lobbyist Face
    Ben Mathis-Lilley

On Monday, Elizabeth Warren more or less announced that she’s running for president. On Wednesday, she made clear what kind of campaign she’s going to run: One that takes no prisoners, pulls no punches, and comes out of nowhere to absolutely wallop Joe Lieberman—the former Democratic senator/VP candidate turned quasi-Republican and phoney-baloney lobbyist hack—for his sleazy deal to help Chinese telecom giant ZTE try to get out of trouble for violating U.S. sanctions and possibly facilitating espionage against American targets.

Check it:

[​IMG]

She even tagged him, as if to say: Hey, Joe, how you doing? Kids good? Great! That’s great. By the way, why don’t you walk on over here and check out how bad you just got burnt?

(You can read Warren’s anti-corruption bill here. It’s very thorough, proposing the creation of something called the U.S. Office of Public Integrity that would enforce a set of expanded conflict-of-interest and disclosure rules meant to expose and cripple the corrupt revolving-door lobbying process. )

Poor guy thought he was just going to pick up some nice fat checks for making a few phone calls on behalf of a shady foreign mega-corporation and instead he walks directly into the firing line. Damn. 2020 is “lit,” kids.

Deckard likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

He won because he oozed charisma. So often it comes down to the charisma/cult of personality of the candidate. Like the old saying, are they comfortable in their skin.

People pick up on that confidence and feed on it........ it isn't always well placed, but people like it....... from Little Marco with Trump, to Bill Clinton's sly smile ..... to Bush seeming like your neighbor....... to LBJ looking at the television camera and ripping the Republicans and new *******...

If you look back over the last 60 years...... the more personable candidate almost always wind........ Eisenhowser, Kennedy, Nixon, Carter, Reagan, Bush Jr., Clinton, Obama and Trump.

The person that beats Trump will not feel it necessary to be someone or something they are not, and if they attack or respond to the attack of Trump, it will be natural to them......... that is part of the reason a 29 year old congresswoman continues to get coverage and why a nobody in Texas almost beat Cruz.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

He won because he oozed charisma. So often it comes down to the charisma/cult of personality of the candidate. Like the old saying, are they comfortable in their skin.

People pick up on that confidence and feed on it........ it isn't always well placed, but people like it....... from Little Marco with Trump, to Bill Clinton's sly smile ..... to Bush seeming like your neighbor....... to LBJ looking at the television camera and ripping the Republicans and new *******...

If you look back over the last 60 years...... the more personable candidate almost always wind........ Eisenhowser, Kennedy, Nixon, Carter, Reagan, Bush Jr., Clinton, Obama and Trump.

The person that beats Trump will not feel it necessary to be someone or something they are not, and if they attack or respond to the attack of Trump, it will be natural to them......... that is part of the reason a 29 year old congresswoman continues to get coverage and why a nobody in Texas almost beat Cruz.

9. Nook

Nook Member

I am not some BETO acolyte.

In fact I rolled my eyes when he emerged, however he has an extremely high level of charisma and would appeal to voters under 50. He has the ability to be very likable, and it really isn't a regional appeal with him either. He doesn't really have any accomplishments fitting of the Presidency, but neither does Trump.......... and as my very conservative father told me, Lincoln lost at the state level and then won the Presidency.

Many things go into winning a national election, but if you buy into the concept of pure charisma and appeal at a personal level, there is no one in the field that has it like Beto has. He essentially has never even had to articulate a strong political position because he controls the narrative.

Deckard and Os Trigonum like this.
  10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I don't think the question should be "can a dem win over Trumpian supporters". Hillary literally had more votes than Donald did. The question should be can a candidate reach out to the moderates who didn't vote and the ones who voted Trump as well. Beto has shown that he got people in Texas to vote. People who didn't vote in the previous election cycle came out in full swing for Beto. It wasn't enough in Texas, but in other areas like Florida, Ohio and such? It just might be. If you couple that with the dissatisfied and reluctant Trump voter from the previous election cycle, they could choose to just stay home (likely) or vote the other way (less likely).

This is also why I don't necessarily love EW as a candidate in this environment. She will draw similar numbers to Hillary, albeit younger voters like her a lot more than Hillary. She won't do enough to draw people out in swing areas, and moderates who didn't like Hillary won't really like her much more. Also, I would be insane to ignore the fact that she's a woman will hold her back from a lot of voters punching that ticket. Sexism and racism are far from dead in the country.

I do agree, Beto has something. I don't know what it is, and I don't know how much longer he will have it, but he does have something.

Deckard and Nook like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you and will add that part of the problem with Warren is geographic.

States like Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Michigan are going to be important. Ideally you have a candidate that is from one of these swing states that can be guaranteed to deliver one of these states, but in the alternative, you need a candidate that plays well in these border states. I believe that Warren will have a more difficult time in these states than Beto.

It isn't a matter of preference either. I have a great deal of respect for Warren as a politician.

Deckard likes this.
  12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Warren's is an agreeably moderate voice for some progressive values. Her best chance is if Bernie runs strong. The corporate/established Dems and of course the GOP corporatists are unanimous in their hatred for Bernie out of all the candidates because they know he means what he says he is standing for. With Sanders you do not have the typical rhetoric about helping the little guys and gals during the election, but legislating primarily for their wealthy donors. Wall Street prefers candidates, like Hillary, Obama, Biden, Booker, Beto etc. who have perfected this approach. Wall Street dislikes Warren and practically forbid Hillary to choose her as VP, but they would reluctantly settle for her if needed to beat Bernie.

If Bernie can hold off the corporate Dems in the primary, he can beat Trump in the general. . America has been looking for someone to battle for the 99% and especially the lower say 60%. The voters tried the seemingly hip yet ineffective black guy with little to show for it and they then turned to the crazy orange guy, but also have little to show for it. Given their economic plight the majority still will not be content to return to the status quo.

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Is Elizabeth Warren the Democrats' version of Jeb Bush?

http://thefederalist.com/2019/01/04/elizabeth-warren-democrats-2020-version-jeb-bush/

excerpt:

"Bush tried to appeal to voters on the issues of previous election cycles when his ideas about education reform, immigration moderation, and a tough interventionist foreign policy were in vogue. But in a year in which Republicans wanted an outsider who rejected establishment conventional wisdom about everything and would fight Democrats tooth and nail by fair means or foul, Bush was an obsolete political model.

"Warren runs the same risk. Democrats may be just as receptive to her anti-Wall Street demagoguery as they would have been in 2016, and like her willingness to mix it up with Trump. But it’s just as likely that the key to victory in 2020 for Democrats will be not so much her brand of hard-line leftist economics as someone with the charisma that can mobilize Democratic voters.

"Moreover, candidates who can appeal to minority voters — the key to the Democratic base — better than Warren, such as Sen. Kamala Harris or Beto O’Rourke (although his claims to Hispanic identity are as tenuous as Warren’s to membership in the Cherokee tribe), may be a better bet to energize the party. Worse, just as Bush seemed too tame to battle the Democrats, the combative Warren may have already failed the one test her party faithful will require its nominee to pass: the ability to withstand Trump’s abuse.

"The point about the DNA test wasn’t so much whether it backed up the stories that she has been telling about her family’s Native American ties in spite of the lack of documentary proof. Democratic voters may be sufficiently entranced by intersectional ideology that they may not care much whether, as the test said, she is anywhere from 1/64 to 1/1,024th Native American.

"But they do know Warren fell for Trump’s bait by seeking to silence his “Pocahontas” jibes. We don’t know yet what issue or quality will ultimately set the winner of the Democratic primaries apart from the field, but we do know that being weak enough to be trolled by Trump is a disqualifying characteristic for any potential Democratic candidate.

"Although waiting to announce would have risked letting her rivals gain an advantage, by announcing early Warren reminded us of her weakness as Trump immediately began attacking her. As much as Democrats sympathize with anyone Trump abuses, being the butt of his contempt also shows them she isn’t the dragon slayer they seek."​

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

What claims to Hispanic identity did Beto O'Rourke make?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

That would make you ... Anal Retentive.

17. No Worries

Beto is better suited for VP, methinks.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I called this ticket as a potential one in another thread.

I think Klobuchar is a great VP pick for Beto if he gets the nomination.

Here's how I see the strongest tickets:

If Biden...
    Beto or Kamala Harris are strong VP picks

If Beto...
    Klobuchar or Tammy Baldwin are strong VP picks

If Klobuchar...
    no obvious picks but see below...

If Warren...
    no obvious picks

If Bernie Sanders
    Klobuchar, Baldwin, Harris

I also think Jim Mattis and McRaven are outside shots for a VP pick for someone like Beto or Biden or especially a Klobuchar (or another candidate that is non Warren or Bernie)

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Even as someone who's happily lived and worked in the Great Plains most of my adult life, politically they can eat a dick. Very hardworking, genial and cooperative people up here, but nominating and electing Trump was pure spite. Warren will probably be taken care of in the primaries, but the only real strategy is to shame Pennsylvanians and Ohioans into extinguishing this dumpster fire.

20. No Worries

So just a great-big-o FU to Hillary Clinton?