1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Elizabeth Warren for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 1, 2019.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

But you are a fan of an arbitrary for profit middle man? Why so happy about double dipping into two profit motives( hospitals and insurance companies) for healthcare?

And why do you want employers to have the added burden of subsidizing your healthcare?

I want private hospitals and private clinics to flourish. I just don't want a for profit middleman unnecessarily increasing the cost of care. In a private health insurance system, healthy 20-40 year olds who don't use their coverage besides yearly check ups are the ones who disproportionately pay for the care of others, while in a public health insurance system, people who's income is above $500,000 disproportionately pay for the care of others. I prefer the later.

2. fchowd0311

Populism worked wonders for the other side in 2016. I'm not entirely dismissing your argument. Some Bernie fans can often be far too ideological in that a 1% difference in policy opinions means you are a right wing extremist and that isn't right. For those few which I only encounter online, it feels like its some troll or actual right wing person trolling as a Bernie supporter.

I understand that you and I might have difference of opinion on what healthcare system is optimal for the country but I'm not going to label you a right winger like some Bernie fans because you believe primary care private health insurance still should exist.

Nook likes this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

Like I said, appealing to “traditions” works better, especially “ nationalist traditions”.

I’m a moderate who leans more liberal than conservative on most things. I prefer incrementalism over rapid change.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

Didn’t realize I was a fan of this.

Total compensation has risen over the decades but has been eaten by rising healthcare costs.

However, nationalizing healthcare isn’t something I want.

Again, I’m not sure how nationalizing healthcare will solve that without creating a bunch of new problems.

I’m more in favor with starting off with basic healthcare liability, like car insurance, that is mandatory. I prefer building on ACA.

Nook likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

You didn't really address any of my points.

Some more points in before of a natural health insurance system.

A larger pool means distribution of risk. Multiple private insurance companies segments the pool and this increases risk per Individual. Ina nationalized health insurance system, the entire tax paying public is the pool and risk is distributed far more which in effect lowers cost.

Also, one nationalized insurance model has far more leveraging power in lowering drug prices.

Private health insurance also has a far higher overhead cost than public health insurance which makes perfect sense as private inst companies have to generate a profit.

6. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

7. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

I didn’t realize I was trying to solve the healthcare issue. I prefer a public backbone with private supplemental. Again, I think everyone should be required to have basic liability.

But nationalizing healthcare is unappealing to me and I prefer building off ACA.

9. fchowd0311

You aren't but Warren and Sanders are.

10. dmoneybangbang

But I don’t think nationalizing healthcare is a good solution. But I’ll still vote for Warren.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

And that's fine but also I think when people hear "nationalized healthcare" they assume public hospitals and clinics where doctors work for the state and they can't have their own private practice which isn't what Bernie and Warren want. I know you know the difference but the more correct terminology would be "nationalized health insurance"

12. dmoneybangbang

I realize that, which is why I want a public backbone with a private supplement.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's been pretty wild watching Sanders and Warren supporters tear each other's throats out.

I will happily vote for either of them in the election, but I have Sanders above Warren for two reasons, and I'd love to hear any countervailing opinions or data to sway me from my assumptions.

1) Sanders seems like a stronger play in the general election (Warren in particular strikes me as Trump-vulnerable especially vis-a-vis the Electoral College)

2) I support Warren's ideas more than Sanders (by very small margins of course) but I feel like Warren won't fight as hard as Bernie would to get those ideas done and will end up compromising more (so in effect voting for Bernie will result in solutions closer to Warren's than a vote for Warren would, if that makes sense)

glynch likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

Im for private supplemental insurance for xertain
    Eh, my problem with Bernie is his incompetence. Warren has actually helped author more influential progressive legislation than Bernie. He's a very competent activist. He's not that competent at legislating and convincing those that matter.

15. Major

Major Member

This is what I would point to as well. Bernie is a lot like Ron Paul - very strong views, very loyal following. But in long political careers, didn't really ever convince anyone of anything or push any actual useful legislation through. Warren has, in a much shorter career, built very legitimate and noteworthy accomplishments and been involved in key legislation like CFPB. She's also much more calm/composed and channels her anger at the system in a productive way that Bernie can't - basically, she's more "Presidential".

Bernie's ceiling is basically raging activist.

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I think they're both hyper competent and very influential.

Bernie's lack of legislation is more of a technicality/formality than a reality, IMO. He's gotten plenty of his ideas into law via amendments.

As for being influential... you can be influential by making deals, or you can be influential by scaring the be-jesus out of people... Bernie has made a pledge to primary opponents of his ideas to actually effect change and influence actors... so he's clearly option B and less option A. Both have their ups and downs.

My main concern is that Republicans cannot be trusted to negotiate in good faith so we need to come at them with maximal force.

An analogy...

I need 5 cents.

Candidate A says they will ask for 10 cents on my behalf.
    Candidate B says they will ask for 5 cents on my behalf.

I'm fully aware that Republicans will likely torpedo whatever ask the candidate makes by at least half. Knowing that, I feel like Candidate A is likely my best bet.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So Bernie is basically Trump lite.

Primary anybody who does not agree with his ideas.

So you like Authoritarianism ?

18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

That's called democracy. And yes, I want a President who will fight for the ideas I like and against the ideas I don't like.

glynch likes this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

I wouldn’t say “Trump Lite”. I would imagine fathers would rather leave their daughters alone with Bernie over Trump.

Policy wise, they are just populist on two different extremes.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. dmoneybangbang

Well said.

jiggyfly likes this.