1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Cory Booker is Running for President Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Sep 7, 2018.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except for the issues of respect for the flag is already a controversial issue. So that does belong in the D&D.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

A thread devoted to bashing a young dem Senator... must be seen as a threat.

Geezus... The Trump cult really needs their whataboutism. They are dying for anyone to step in and be their Hillary Clinton. Someone they think gives them the right to justify every abhorrent thing about their dear leader and their extremist policy.

Never forget... you guys champion an agenda that separates children from their parents, has no respect for the rule of law, gives tax breaks to the wealthiest of the wealthy, and takes away healthcare from Americans who need it the most.

You guys want a pinyata to justify all that... go for it. Doesn’t change the fact that your ideology and messiah figures to that ideology are rotten to the core.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

not sure who all is included in the group of "Trump cult" but don't forget about Democrats who are horrified with their party's choices in the last 10-15 years, particularly as regards senators from New Jersey. In my view the last Democratic NJ senator worth a damn was Bill Bradley. Bill Bradley wouldn't be caught dead pulling the shitte that Booker pulls.

Deji McGever, Invisible Fan and B-Bob like this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not in the least, he turned himself into a meme by acting like a fool. He had his Howard Dean moment, he's not a threat to anyone, people just want to laugh at him a bit longer before he fades from memory.

deadlybulb likes this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

After everything Trump says people care about this?

6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

is this an either/or issue? if it is you should petition Clutch to rename this forum "BBS Hangout: Trump Discussion"

7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I'm not a Booker fan but your post is pretty indicative of the approach that the repubnigcants will take based upon his race.

VooDooPope and Invisible Fan like this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It took 15 years of hardcore lobbying to remove Hillary from the title.

It was like The Hague if those people believed in it.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It's totally worth talking about, enjoyably so.

And it's worth pointing out: Booker doesn't have power right now, AND meanwhile snot-nosed girl (unlike Booker), isn't being used to motivate the base of a party for midterms.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

That word is inappropriate.

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

12. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I don't trust anyone from Jersey. The Sopranos taught me this.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am just saying why does the right whine about a few liberals but defend the clown in office.

14. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

And there was a lot of people that voted for Trump based on skin color.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

great read

https://legalinsurrection.com/2018/09/i-am-spartacus-will-stick-to-cory-booker/

“I am Spartacus” will stick to Cory Booker
    Posted by Charles Lipson Monday, September 10, 2018 at 9:00pm

Why some mistakes, like “I am Spartacus,” stick to politicians and others don’t

[​IMG]

Political rule number 1: Don’t take a selfie with Bozo the Clown. Your opponents will use it forever in political ads.

Political rule number 2: Don’t call yourself Spartacus. You will be ridiculed today, tomorrow, and forever.

Somebody forgot rule number 2, and the man who forgot it, Sen. Cory Booker (D-NJ), will pay a price.

The junior senator from New Jersey is looking ever-more junior by the day. He is now the butt of every prankster with Photoshop and a picture of Kirk Douglas in a gladiator’s costume.

True story. Today, when I Googled “Spartacus,” the search engine helpfully added a second word, “Booker.”

Although the ridicule will fade, it will return every time Sen. Booker seeks the presidency, which will probably be for the rest of his life. Breathtakingly stupid comments like Booker’s “I am Spartacus” are like red wine spilled on a white carpet. You can mop and scrub them, but they don’t really disappear.

Why do some mistakes like this live so long and others fade away so quickly?

The ones that live are those that reveal—and congeal—our deep-seated images of the person who made them. They do so succinctly, memorably. Their opponents know that and seize upon them. So do comedians and editorial cartoonists, unless they are unwilling to joke about a candidate they support (an all-too-common ailment these days).

Consider a few Great Fumbles from recent U.S. political history.

The two most consequential were:

• Hillary Clinton’s “basket of deplorables,” referring to Trump supporters, and
    • Mitt Romney’s “47 percent,” referring to people who “are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it.” Not a smart thing to say at a high-priced fundraising dinner, especially when your opponent is saying you are rich and out-of-touch with ordinary Americans. Even worse when your opponent points out that the 47% figure includes people on military pensions.
    These were deep, self-inflicted wounds—and they never healed completely. Both were secretly recorded, like Donald Trump’s “grab them by the p*%^y” comment. Everyone wants to know a secret, which made their release even more powerful. They revealed a candidate’s unscripted side, which seemed truthful for two reasons. First, it was unguarded and said “in confidence” to a select group.

Second, it matched and reinforced our prior misgivings about the candidate.

Hillary’s comment showed that she not only loathed her opponent, she loathed the people who supported him. In half-a-sentence, she revealed what she was so often charged with embodying: the coastal elite’s contempt for ordinary Americans. Since Donald Trump was running hard against those elites, he seized upon it. His supporters loved it. They began wearing “I am a deplorable” hats and filled the internet with that meme, worn as a badge of honor. It was reminiscent of a 1911 gubernatorial campaign in Mississippi, where supporters of one candidate began wearing red neckties after an adversary called them rednecks.

Hillary’s mistake was especially dumb because Barack Obama made the same one in 2008. As one newspaper described it, “Referring to working-class voters in old industrial towns decimated by job losses, the presidential hopeful said: ‘They get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.’” Obama’s opponents painted that as elitist contempt for rural America and a frontal attack on their religious faith and the right to bear arms. Obama was able to blunt that attack with his engaging and sometimes-folksy style, but he never entirely erased the supercilious image, condensed in that statement.

Hillary, Mitt, and Barack are not alone. Pres. Gerald Ford never erased the image of himself stumbling down the stairs of Air Force One. As a former football player and coach, he was actually as athletic as anyone ever to hold the Presidency. But Chevy Chase’s Saturday Night Live parody of the president used that clumsiness as Ford’s only characteristic. Chevy made no attempt to look or sound like Ford. He just stumbled around, knocking over everything and looking befuddled. It worked, and not just because
    Chevy Chase was a gifted physical comedian, starring on a popular show. It worked because Ford seemed to be stumbling in office. Remember his goofy, fruitless effort to stop inflation by wearing a lapel pin that said “Whip Inflation Now”?

Michael Dukakis made an entirely visual flub, the equivalent of embracing Bozo. He attended a military exercise and was photographed exiting a tank wearing an army helmet that looked too large and utterly inappropriate. To compound the problem, his opponent was running on the urgent need to rebuild the military. That one photograph seemed to say, “There is no way Dukakis can project American armed power against the Soviet Union.” Ronald Reagan could.

Cory Booker’s flub will stick, too. It is concise and memorable, and it captures a side of Booker that seems revealing. It says, “I am grandiose, self-inflating, and narcissistic.” Every candidate for President probably shares those features. So, obviously, does the current occupant. It’s just that most politicians don’t make them the centerpiece of their campaign rallies. Or high-profile Congressional hearings.

Charles Lipson is the Peter B. Ritzma Professor of Political Science Emeritus at the University of Chicago, where he is founding director of PIPES, the Program on International Politics, Economics, and Security. He can be reached at charles.lipson@gmail.com.

B-Bob likes this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I generally don't like New Jersey / New York senators for being Wall Street shills.

Maybe in time I'll hate California and Washington state politicians for being Tech shills, but Booker's soul has been bought, mortgaged and tranched twenty times over.

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

https://babylonbee.com/news/democra...final-shred-of-sanity-if-kavanaugh-confirmed/

Democrats Threaten To Abandon Final Shred Of Sanity If Kavanaugh Confirmed
    September 10, 2018
    [​IMG]

75.4kShares

U.S.—Democrats across the nation have threatened that they will abandon their final remaining shred of sanity should the Republican-controlled Senate vote to confirm Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court in the next few weeks.

From Democratic senators to lay voters, liberal-leaning citizens have promised they will begin their wacky antics in earnest should the inevitable confirmation occur.

“I know it seems like we’re already totally nuts,” said Senator Cory Booker. “But believe you me—you ain’t seen nothing yet. We’re talking rending our garments and smashing stuff, constantly comparing ourselves to tragic martyrs on film and television, even punching ourselves in the face. And we’ll do it around the clock.”

“I’m talking full-on insanity, people. I AM SPARTACUS! I AM MASTER CHIEF! I AM WILLIAM WALLAAAAAACE!!!” he added before aides were forced to restrain him. “Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!”

Run-of-the-mill Democrat voters across the country have joined their nearly unhinged leaders in vowing to destroy their last vestige of reasonable behavior if the judge is confirmed for a SCOTUS seat.

“I’m going to dress up as genitals, go out into the streets, and yell at passersby for no reason at all, every day,” said Santa Clarita progressive Dennis Anderson. “I’m warning you: the last shred of sanity I have will go up in flames should Kavanaugh be confirmed. It’s my scorched earth policy.”

The beginning of Democrats’ final plunge into eternal insanity is scheduled for the moment Kavanaugh is confirmed, when millions of Democrats will gather outside the Capitol building to scream at the sky.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I have been looking for some truly spectacular Booker chops and gifs, but the output is really disappointing.

I agree he'll wear "Spartacus" for the rest of his life -- I mean, I was listening live and I started choking with laughter immediately -- but I think conservatives need to step up their visual meme game. Within minutes of 45 giving the "rock out!" overbite today, there were dozens of hilarious chops. Booker's thing is potentially much much funnier

19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

20. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member