1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Chiefs @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

You miss the 2007-2009 years with Kyle Shanahan. That was when we had a non PA passing game as well, and teams didn't lock in on the PA pass by "staying home". Since then, the league has figured Kubiak out, and he's just a relic of the past himself now.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm really interested in seeing how the Kubs-Good Manning wedding works out. I mean, Kubiak is used to immobile washed up noodle armed QB's but Manning isn't used to having a coach that tells him what to do. Should be fun.

3. mick fry

mick fry Member

Gonna be fun to watch Peyton audible out of every play call.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

If not for Ben, that game would have been a blowout.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It was a blowout, there was a bit of too little too late in garbage time, but Roethlisberger was less impressive than Schaub was against the Pats when the Texans got blown out in the playoffs.

Of course, Roethlisberger has the reputation of being a good QB, so I can understand why some might think he looked great.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Him too.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

14 points is hardly a blow-out and he had receivers dropping passes all day. If you'd rather have Brian Hoyer than Ben, good for you. Go Texans!

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's a strawman...and you know it.

That said, it wouldn't really make a difference. A blowout is a blowout. If Hoyer, or Schaub, or Mallett or whoever you want to bash was the QB that didn't throw for a TD against the Pats until the very last minute of the game when there was no chance whatsoever of the team winning, you wouldn't be talking about how lucky they were to have that QB.

Wanna know how I know that? Texans lost by 13 despite the defense giving up 3 TD's in the air and 2 on the ground and no one was talking about how lucky the Texans were to have a QB like Schaub to throw for 343 yards to get the game close at the end.

9. Major

Major Member

Texans were down 25 early in the 4th. Steelers were down 7. One is a blowout. One is not.

1 person likes this.
  10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Don't do it.
    Ben got 351 yards in just 38 pass attempts. It took Schaub 51 attempts to get 343 yards. The patriots were up 38-13 in the 4th quarter of the Texans game you reference. Versus the Steelers their largest lead was 21-3 and that was early in the 4th quarter.

Ben is not Tom, we all know that. But don't use Matt Schaub to try to prove your point. They are nowhere close.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This thread sucks now

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

Agreed. Good night everybody.

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

How did a thread about two football teams turn into a discussion about 2 QBs that have nothing to do with either team, presently?

14. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

As a fan of a different team with no ties to either club in this match I think it will be a tough go for the Texans. The Chiefs are one of the strongest all around teams going into this season with hardly any weaknesses across the board. They have areas where they are far from spectacular, but there is not one part of their game I can point to and call a weakness. Houston on the other hand comes in with questions at QB and RB which means there offense as a whole will have a lot of question marks. It will help being home to open the year but I can see the Chiefs running away with this one.

Chiefs 23
    Texans 10

15. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Im not saying Texans win this one easily, but I don't understand your "unbiased" view.. They are pretty much the exact same as the Texans. Strong front 7 on D, game-managing QB. Overall good D, bad O.

Differences:
    our secondary is better (they are rolling with 2 rookies I believe).
    they win the running game (foster is out)
    our Oline isnt great but it is DEFINITELY better than theirs
    Maclin and Hopkins are close, I believe our supporting wideout core is better
    they win the TE battle.

also, I think our front 7 annihilates their Oline more than their front 7 does ours..

but Im a homer I guess

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I really don't understand how anyone can put Alex Smith and Brian Hoyer on the same tier or say they are pretty much the same.

Brian Hoyer threw interceptions in 14 games last year. Alex Smith threw 13 interceptions over his last two seasons combined. 30 games. The 26 games (two years) before that combined he threw 10.

I'm hopeful that Brian Hoyer will be better in Bill O'Brien's offense than he has proven to be thus far, but Alex Smith is who you HOPE Brian Hoyer can be. Low turnover, high completion percentage, etc. No, Alex Smith doesn't wow you with the deep ball, but he is MUCH better than Brian Hoyer to date.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Why is everyone so high on our WR depth?

After Hopkins, we have shorts and Washington (good for 600 yards each?)

Plus rookies.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

No they haven't. He inherited a Raven offense that ranked 30th in rushing and 32nd in QB rating and significantly improved both (8th & 16th). He turned Justin Forsett, a journeyman RB, into a Pro Bowler - he totaled 1,692 yards in his first six season; 1,266 last year. And Flacco had his best season since 2010. If you favor QBR, it was Flacco's best season ever.

This all happened last year. The league has most assuredly not figured out Kubiak. What the league figured out was that Schaub had regressed to the point of being ineffective and predictable.

I get that his teams ultimately underachieved, and his deserves blame for that, including his losing his job. But Schaub's health, physically and then mentally, is what closed that window.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Although Sunday will be Houston’s nicest day since May expect the Texans’ roof to be closed

20. conquistador#11

the wait is finally over. watch we come out empty backfield and throw it 50 times.