1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Car Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, May 3, 2016.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

People can hear you coming a block away with that 6.2 and borla.

Gonna do a sunroof too... it's not necessary, but I want it anyway :grin:

What is difference between Chevy and GMC?

1 person likes this.
  2. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Surprisingly it isn't near as loud as you would think. Now if I put the pedal to the floor, it is pretty loud!

Regarding Chevy and GMC, they are the same exact truck with just a different front end. The Denali is similar to the High Country but the High Country has that poo poo leather in it.

The Denali is also a little better as far as suspension (it has the magnetic ride suspension) so if you ever wanted to lift/lower it, it will be extremely expensive. But it handles like a car. Have you test drove one yet? You are going to be blown away at how well they handle and how smooth the ride is. It is Night and Day compared to the previous models.

The Denali also has a bigger DIC in the gauge cluster.

Check your rep for some more info.

1 person likes this.
  3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

All I ever heard was GMC costs a little more. Should be worth it since they do what you explained.

Will test drive everything before buying. My LS is decent, but was purchased in a hurry. No luxury at all, but came with a supped up engine. People know I'm coming without my even trying.

Thanks for the info.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I've never driven the IS F-sport. I've driven various IS's though. I currently own a 2011 335i. I much prefer the BMW from a driving experience. Lexus, and IS have improved. And I can only assume the f-sport only makes it better. But if "driving experience" is at the top of your list, I'm not sure how you can justify the Lexus over BMWs??

As far as looks... well, the Lexus has grown on me. I'm a big Lexus and Toyota fan... simple great bang for the buck and so reliable. I owned the original IS300 from 02 till about 09. Fun little car. But again, I'm not sure how you could compare the looks of the Lexus with the other two, and not prefer BMW/Porsche?? The Lexus has softer lines. It's gotten more aggressive over time. But it's a somewhat strange take on aggressiveness imo, with that front grill and "nike" lights. Even if it was done better... to me, the BMW is just such a aggressive, strong, distinctive look. I love it. You'll never not see it and know what it is, but there's no other brand like it, it looks strong, it looks fast.

But that's a matter of personal opinion, and I do think the Lexus has improved a lot and still looks pretty badass.

[​IMG]

As far as overall reliability. Lexus wins. No need for further discussion there.

I'm in my mid-30's, so bear in mind my life stage... but I'm not getting a Lexus/Toyota or similar car again over a BMW or similar car again next time I'm in the market. I drove a Kia Optima for a few years before the BMW - I just made a personal budgeting decision on that, Kia "bought" my business and the Optima turbo was a sporty little car, but it's so apples and oranges in terms of driving experience. The Lexus is undoubtedly MUCH closer to BMW than Kia, but I can only imagine its still an obvious difference.

5. Asian Sensation

Thanks for the input. I too prefer the BMW but they're just so damn common. They're everywhere. Also, I feel like the current 3 is starting to look a bit dated although the 3 of any generation has a classic look that's easy to define like you said and always stays in style.

Here are 2 that I'm looking at. I really like the Lexus since it only has 11K miles and it's a year newer. Practically brand new. I also think it's more reliable and won't depreciate as much as the Bimmer.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/5564341268.html

Here is the bimmer. I just love that white and coral red combo and the M sport package makes it look so good. 33K miles and Warranty up to 50K miles so don't have to worry about maintenance for a while but I do worry about 5 or so years down the road.

If the Bimmer had like 25K miles or was a year newer the choice would be much easier but since I'm looking to probably keep my next purchase for 10 years or so I'm leaning towards Lexus.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/5528480361.html

So it's likely between those 2 or wait for a nice used 428 but it likely won't have M package or the coral red I love. Too many decisions.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah I have seen the video (that is just one person's opinion) there are many comparisons between the Z and other cars. One problem with the Z is that it's a platform from 2009.

Personally for me the 370Z is an overall nicer looking car. And is feminine enough looking. Where as the scion/subaru is just too much of a (b*tch) car for me to be seen in unless i was dating a girl with one of course ;)

If I could afford a M5 that is where it's at though haha

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The good news is that youd probably be happy with either choice.

It honestly comes down to practicality and enjoyability. If driving experience is the most important factor pick the BMW just knowing it will cost more. If reliability and cost are more important go with the Lexus.

I also wanted to keep mine 10 years... But I drive like 5k miles a year. So I feel fine with the BMW.

As an aside... Look for a slightly older model. I mean a 2011 335i with $35k miles or so. It will be an older model so not quite the same specs but very similar... And will have been driven way less per year. And will cost way less

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

9. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

You're doing it wrong....must have car in shot.

[​IMG]

10. MystikArkitect

Bought a 2015 Denali with the 6.2 last year. Put a Retrax Tonneau cover on it and love it. If you can swing it, definitely get the 6.2 in the truck. Upgraded from a 5.3 before and would never look back. Thing is smooth as butter both in the engine/tranny as well as ride. My only problem is how much I've driven it over the course of a year.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

One of my plans if I do buy a BRZ is to replace the stock flywheel with a lighter one to reduce power loss and less rev hang. My question is does anyone have experience dailying a light weight flywheel set up? Does it make it significantly more difficult to drive a low stop and go speeds because you get much more excessive engine braking and it's much easier to stall? Is it a bad idea to daily a lightweght flywheel set up?

12. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Ask yourself and do the math if the cost and effort is worth the gain? It will also supposedly make it more difficult to takeoff everytime....

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That question hinges on the experience of someone who daily's a lightweight flywheel set up.

14. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Right, from what i know is that its not as easy to take off as in a normal flyw, that is crucial for daily's. Search around on forums and see, especially brz forums, see if that is a common thing they do.

15. marky :)

marky :) Member

I always thought it was the other way around lol. Lighter flywheel = less engine breaking.

16. marky :)

marky :) Member

That spelling though. Braking*

17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Anyone have recommendations for an RC car? Something less than $50. The only fond memory I have of my first is my dad running over it in the driveway.

1 person likes this.
  18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Engine braking is annoying as hell. When I switched from a I4 to a L-twin motorcycle the increase in engine braking was insane. You let off the gas and it was like light braking. No coast unless you clutch. I dumped it and went to a slipper clutch. I have to imagine it will be even more annoying in a car when you want to cruise even more than a sport bike where you could accept the on-OFF jolt.

Nope

19. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

Better than my 1998 poop green Mercury Sable (Better Call Saul?) with 275,000 miles on it. I was dating a girl who lived in Bay Oaks (rich Clear Lake) and had to pick her up in that piece of crap for every date. Brakes snapped after 5 months and I totaled it.

Anyway, in the market for a new car now. Definitely want a fuel efficient car for my long commute, and don't want to spend over $20,000, so most likely going to be something like a Honda.

20. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

2016 Honda Civic, best in class.