1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Car Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, May 3, 2016.

1. Rox11

Rox11 Member

How about a diffuser instead?

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That's overkill. I was thinking this:[​IMG]
    Though that set up looks like it went a bit overkill with the rear camber and I'm not a big fan of wide body kits.

3. fchowd0311

I think I would do a combination of both since both have slightly different purposes. The diffuser is more to reduce drag.

4. Roscoe Arbuckle

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

OK get the huge wing and don't let your fat girlfriend drive it

fchowd0311 likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

I bet that dude lifted off the throttle or didn't try counter steering.

But ya, the car is known to generate rear lift at fast highway speeds that are not over the top(100mph or so)

7. Rox11

Rox11 Member

In other news I've been sad about the end of N/A engines and combustion engines all together in the near future

8. fchowd0311

It's why I'm still contemplating getting a NA flat 6 Cayman instead of a S2000. The value of that generation of cayman can only go up with the new 4 cylinder turbo that sounds like a WRX.

9. Bandwagoner

sorry, not happening

10. Rox11

Rox11 Member

in my opinion If I could I would by as many great sport cars as I can like the S2k, older m3's ect, as those cars will be so valuable (both money and fun)
    How so?

11. Bandwagoner

How so what?

12. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Why aren't combustion engines leaving

13. Bandwagoner

Because "in the near future" there is no equivalently useful replacement. Pretty simple.

14. fchowd0311

It depends on what your definition of 'near' and what end you are referring to.

If you are referring to the end of combustion engines on the street entirely, well, that's a far length of time away primarly because there are just far too many combustion engines in circulation currently and in the near future for them to just vanish unless the government enforces some type of ban on combustion engines.

However, if you are referring to the end of designing and mass producing new combustion engines, that does have a possibility of ending in the near future(a couple of decades).

15. Bandwagoner

in 20 years combustion engines will still be the number 1 powerplant for the vast majority of cars sold. Despite massive subsidies and laws making sales of EVs mandatory they still account for less than 1%.

It's just not going to happen. The subsidies can't last forever.

16. Rox11

Rox11 Member

France has rules for 2040 about combustion engines, hopefully less countries follow.

17. Bandwagoner

California has the most laws about the percentage of car sales that must be ev. right now it is just high income people taking advantage of subsidies. they sell half of the ev cars in the usa as a result.

the technology will not allow for it to be a large percentage. Your point about naturally aspirated is more valid because of mpg requirements and market demands for hp.

#277 Bandwagoner, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

New Toyota Supra set to debut at Geneva 2018 in four states of tune

Toyota's revived Supra is just weeks away from launch, as the official unveiling is all set for the 2018 Geneva Motor Show. The sports car, developed jointly with BMW, won't be sold with Toyota badges, and will instead feature the Gazoo Racing nameplate.

Insiders claim tht the new Supra will come in four different states of tune; as the basic Supra, as a Supra GR, as a Supra GR Sport, and finally as a Supra GRMN. Expect a significant gap in performance and price between the base Supra and the GR sport, with variations in suspension tune also likely.

“The Supra will be by Gazoo,” the performance division, Shigeki Tomoyama, told Auto Express late last year. The news comes after it transpired that the Gazoo Racing team became more heavily involved in the car’s development – after Toyota president Akio Toyoda tested the vehicle and decided it needed to be “more mobile”. Prototype cars have since been given more of an edge to what was a fairly benign initial set-up.

The Supra’s sister vehicle, the BMW Z4, is expected in showrooms next year, but Tomoyama hinted that the Gazoo creation may not arrive until the second half of 2019.

While the BMW will be sold only as a convertible, the Supra will be a fixed-roof coupe. It’s likely that the Gazoo-badged car will use bigger, six-cylinder engines, too.

As the owner of a 600bhp carbon fibre-bodied previous-generation Supra, Gazoo boss Tomoyama said that the new car will need to attract fans of the classic models.

“The new car has to appeal to the existing owners first,” he told us. “The old cars had a straight-six engine, twin turbos and rear-wheel drive; the new car must have the same philosophy.”

There’s a chance Toyota and Gazoo will look to their Le Mans race cars for added hybrid tech. The new model is said to weigh between 1,200kg and 1,500kg, with Gazoo using the BMW M4 Coupe and Porsche 911 as benchmarks.

As with all other GR models, such as the Yaris GRMN, the company will offer an extensive range of aftermarket tuning parts for the new sports car. Prices will be announced closer to the car’s showroom debut.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...o-debut-at-geneva-2018-in-four-states-of-tune

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member