1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros vs. Yankees ALCS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 12, 2019.

1. CinematicFusion

That’s what I mean, Urquidy will start and go 4-5 innings and then bring in the pen

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

What was going on with Fox's audio last night? It cut out a lot.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

God, that was a great game last night. We watched every minute, a collective nervous wreck, and then it ended perfectly. On to game 3! Cole crushes them and we’re up 2-1. Sounds groovy to me. :cool:

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

That sounds absolutely groovy

Deckard likes this.
  5. solid

solid Contributing Member

Oh I so hope you are right!

Deckard likes this.
  6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Thats something you shouldnt question and just be thankful it did.

Handles, AstrosRockets1818 and arkoe like this.
  7. vonbock

vonbock Member

Why does everyone think Cole is an automatic win. Yes he can come in give up 1 run and we score 0, he still loses. Look how many guys we have right now batting 0.

arabrocket likes this.
  8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I’m a bit shocked to see Yuli struggling so much at the plate lately.

9. AstrosRockets1818

Playoff Baseball. Nobody knows what’s going to happen. If that ball last night didn’t bounce perfectly to Correa everybody would be after Altuve’s head.

Buck Turgidson and CK Johnson like this.
  10. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Yuli has hit a lot of balls hard but has nothing to show for it. His ABs have not looked bad at all

11. SemisolidSnake

Nobody's who's been watching these playoffs still thinks Cole is an automatic win, because, as you've pointed out, it takes both sides of the team to put one together. However, I think going into the lion's den of one of the best offenses in baseball (and tied 1-1 to boot), most people are heartened by having the best pitcher on the planet throwing the first volley. If anyone can nullify a home Yankees team, Cole can, and the bats still have to do their work, but maybe not so much work.

12. elrond

elrond Member

In case you haven't seen it, the ringer had an article on this topic as well:
    https://www.theringer.com/2019/10/1...-ball-juiced-home-runs-dodgers-will-smith-lcs

Regarding the pitching match ups, I would say if you get rain, you definitely go greinke for game 4. Obviously Greinke hasn't been great so far, but I definitely trust him over a bp scenario. It also sets you up better for the WS.

I also consider the Yankees BP/pitching situation to be fairly unpredictable, so we should just do what we do best. If we were going up against a team with a traditional rotation, I think there may be an argument of having our aces go up against there weaker pitchers to have a better chance of 'guaranteeing' wins. Dunno if anyone has played Witcher 3, but the philosophy would be similar to the minigame Gwent.

mikol13 likes this.
  13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not a single Astro starter is hitting 0 in the playoffs.

Deckard and RKREBORN like this.
  14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I didn’t see that. Thanks.

15. vonbock

vonbock Member

I meant the alcs.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So...who should they replace this series? Prior to last night Correa has sucked offensively, yet they don't win last nights game without him.

In 2017, I assume you would have 'upgraded' Springer. He was mired in a 3-30 or worse slump prior to game two of the world series.

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It doesn’t seem to make sense to me to put Verlander out there in game that might not be a closeout game and instead trust Urquidy, or Miley in that situation. Then again I’m not a manager that has won a World Series and three 100+ win seasons.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree nothing can be taken for granted here. We saw the Yankees get a bunch of breaks on Saturday and they capitalized big. We got our ace and get a few big breaks yet barely survive.

Cole is pitching lights out this post season yet let’s not forget his first start the Rays were still able to get the winning run up to bat. If our offense can’t generate more ins this series will look like all those Stros series with great pitching yet the Stros losing by one or two runs.

The good news is that we should hit Severino as he’s the type of fastball pitchers the Stros batters can handle. Also now that we’ve encountered all of the Yankees bullpen we might have more success. The only guy who I think will still baffle is is Tanaka and we could face him two more times.

19. Handles

Handles Member

It surprises me I don’t see more people saying this. I believe James is better suited to be a starter than reliever, but I don’t want to shake things up too much in October. I think we win tomorrow with Cole and take the Greinke NY game too.

20. Major

Major Member

LOL. So you're surprised people don't have a hit in a 2 game sample?

PuzzledFan likes this.