1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Vs. Rays ALDS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 4, 2019.

1. dannah

dannah Member

Are you talking about Maldanado?

2. dannah

dannah Member

3 times if i counted right

Rox Addict likes this.
  3. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Will Smith?

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

#1345 CometsWin, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    everyday eddie and RustyHarden like this.
  6. dannah

dannah Member

Why pinch hit for the guy who is hot on both sides of the plate?

7. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

8. dannah

dannah Member

You can thank him for his 2 hits, his RBI and his gundown on that double play steal attempt too

jsingles and JayGoogle like this.
  9. dannah

dannah Member

I think he should stick to his current role which is to bail us out at any given time...

10. dannah

dannah Member

I got up at 3am, watched until the last pitch about 6:45am, was tired as hell, and it still took me about 45 minutes to fall asleep o_O

11. dannah

dannah Member

I'll bet on Osuna

12. CinematicFusion

On Osuna, I think he is a one inning pitcher.
    Warm him up and get him in.
    He is not a two inning guy.
    Thought he looked good in the 8th facing his only batter.
    Then the 9th...
    “"When I went back to the mound in the ninth, I didn't feel that emotion in the inning," Osuna said. "I couldn't get it back. I got tired a little bit. It happens sometimes."

AB423 likes this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That’s exactly it.

We also all tend to give zero credit to the opponent. Those were their 2-5 hitters. The first ball was laced by the most recent AL player of the month. The second hit was a seeing eye single up the middle.

The walks were frustrating... but it wasn’t like he was wild and couldn’t find the plate. They laid off some seriously close pitches. Sure, you’d love your closer to have automatic k stuff... Tampa hitters didn’t flinch.

Had he given up a HR or XBH and the Astros end up losing, I’d be far less optimistic about his future role here.

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Shame on Harold Reynolds for omitting JR Richard (while naming Pettite) when speaking great Astro strikeout pitchers.

Dude played for the damn franchise.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Cole had 33 swing-and-misses total and didn't K anyone b2b using the same pitch.

20191006_081500.jpg

20191006_081742.jpg

Swipe left or press arrow for video

#1355 Houstunna, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    everyday eddie likes this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yes, having better pitchers pitch while their arms are fresh is a good idea. Does it work 100% of the time, no. Did it work last night? Didn't get 4 outs out of Osuna, but Astros got the win. Decision was made knowing Harris was there if things got dicey. If deciding whether it worked based on win or loss, it worked.

Whether deciding on performance, Astros relievers gave up 2 runs not using closer in 8th on Friday, and 1 run on Saturday, using closer in 8th. Baseball is fickle. Bullpens are the most fickle part of baseball.

BigM likes this.
  17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I saw 3 Rays fans at the game. It is weird seeing almost no opposing team fan presence at all. I expect that that Astros fans are going to be all over their place.

I’m talking out of my ass but I feel like Osuna has so many options for pitches that he can overthink it at times. The dude has electric stuff. He tried to go the McCullers 57 straight off speed pitches approach and it just wasn’t going to work that inning.

Tucker had a nice swing his first at bat and took a walk to get an inning going. He looked like ass his other appearances. It’s his first postseason experience and a microscopic sample size. I’d give him another shot.

So ****ing awesome to see Correa get some work done at the plate.

Cole, Bregman, and Harris are machines. Just beasts.

Also shout out to Machete. Nice redemption game.

RustyHarden, Houstunna and mikol13 like this.
  18. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I agree with bullpens being the most fickle part of baseball and baseball itself is a very fickle game. The only thing more fickle than baseball bullpens are us fans that follow the game.

Hindsight is 20/20 and after the outstanding job Osuna did in the 8th bailing us out of a potential mess along with the extended time it took to get through the bottom half of the eighth and the fact that Osuna has never had a 4 out save I would have not brought Osuna out for the ninth, That top of the ninth is up there as far as near miss absolute disaster high pressure leverage situations that we have had to endure in recent memory.

Will Smith saved our ass. I am probably as guilty as anyone as far as comments in the past not trusting Will Smith. From what I have seen lately whatever he has done mentally or development of new pitches or whatever he has done I am absolutely comfortable with Will Smith. But I am fickle and reserve the right to change my opinion if he does not continue to perform at an elite level.

19. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I hope you are being sarcastic by calling him “Will Smith”

20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member