1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Vs. Rays ALDS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 4, 2019.

1. the shark

the shark Member

I mentioned this numerous times. Use the money you have for Greinke the next two years and put it towards Cole's contract and flip Greinke for some prospects.

solid and CinematicFusion like this.
  2. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

We need a reporter needs to ask AJ if he's considering moving him down the lineup (need more comparisons to 2017).

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Man, why start Verlander on 3 days Rest? Seems you could go with a backup and that way you have your 1-2 in the next series twice.

DD

6. CinematicFusion

The unknown is Urquidy but if we think he will suck tomorrow as a starter, he will suck tomorrow as a reliever also. I wouldn’t want him to sub in for Verlander after verlander pitches 3-4 innings and then Urquidy pulls a tank job. You would waste Verlanders start.

I would much rather take the chance on Urquidy starting. We find out quicker who he is. If he is great for 4 innings. We pitch verlander for 2(thus saving verlander for a game 2 start in the ALCS), bridge gap to Harris, Pressly, osuna.

If Urquidy sucks, we bullpen it and save fully rested Cole and Verlander for game 5.... almost a guaranteed win.

7. TheresTheDagger

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

That doesn’t change. Astros win tomorrow. Cole is game 1. Verlander is game 2. Both on normal rest. That’s the luxury of having a Cole

BigM likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

What? Being a starter and reliever are two entirely different roles. One does not equal the other

10. CinematicFusion

Then it’s better to start a fully rested Urquidy and take a chance on him. If he pitches well, verlander can do his bullpen session on the field. Pitch 2 innings to bridge the gap. Much like we did against Boston in 2017... and still be in line to start game 2 of the ALCS.

If Urquidy craps the bed. Save verlander for game 5 at home.
    Fully rested Cole and verlander for game 5 is almost automatic.

11. CinematicFusion

Urquidy is either going to start or do long relief tomorrow. Verlander isn’t going 6-7 innings on 3 days rest. He will go 3-5 and need a long relief guy.

If we don’t trust Urquidy as a starter, why would we trust him as a long relief arm holding the lead for Verlander.

I’m just concerned on using a pitcher on 3 days rest. It doesn’t really work that well.

Houstunna likes this.
  12. CinematicFusion

Agree agree agree

AirPower likes this.
  13. AirPower

AirPower Member

Wouldn't JV start game 2 of the ALCS if he pitched tomorrow and we win? Game 2 would be the 5th day.... 4 full days of rest... isn't 4-5 days considered normal?

Based on the way Cole is pitching, I'd rather him go up against the best NYY has to offer (assuming we get to the ALCS) and give JV the slightly softer target.

AstrosRockets1818 likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

Why wouldn’t you. The astros didn’t trust peacock as a starter when they won the ws. He came in as a reliever and played that role perfectly. Your logic of starter/reliever isn’t valid. You can absolutely be a good reliever and not a capable starter. That’s what many relievers are in the first place

15. AstrosRockets1818

Because the poster doesn’t understand how baseball works. And yes assuming we win tomorrow with JV he would pitch ALCS Game 2 on regular rest.
    Some posters should really stick to the GARM.

YOLO likes this.
  16. CinematicFusion

Right I agree. Urquidy is a solid starter. 2.83 ERA in last 35 innings. That’s why he should start. He has the fresh arm.
    I think they need to throw him out there for 4-5 innings with Verlander backing him up for two... like they did in 2017 ALCS.
    I have no idea what Urquidy will look like in long relief.
    I have no idea what verlander will look like trying to go 6 innings on 3 days rest.

Ultimately I hope Verlander proves me wrong and looks like a god starting on 3 days rest and Astros win running away with it.

Houstunna and B-Bob like this.
  17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Who would have thought that by letting Morton walk...we would be paying the price for it in the playoffs now? It's funny how that works out.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Personally, I think now is certainly not the time to say let’s throw urquidy out there not knowing what you’re gonna get, especially on the road. JV has asked for the ball and wants to get this series done. I’m rolling with one of the goats on that one

19. CinematicFusion

I hope I’m wrong but it seems like every time a stud asks for the ball on 3 days rest, they end up having a sub par game.

Of course I would rather have a fully rested Verlander over anyone to start a game.

Last Verlander pitches on 3 days rest he was with Detroit and pitched 8 innings, giving up 4 runs.

Not bad....

everyday eddie and B-Bob like this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

So many people love the I hope I’m wrong takes. Personally don’t care for those at all. If the Astros win, JV can have a sub par outing for all I care. Anyway enough on this for me. No matter what anyone says JV is already going out there for game 4 tomorrow. I’m not counting on both him and the stros letting hou down