1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Red Sox

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 7, 2018.

1. TheresTheDagger

Altuve call at the plate today.
    The play at the plate vs. the A's 3 weeks ago.
    The Gronkowski "catch" today that New York just couldn't find the time to review. (and yes...BOB is also a total moron)
    WCF Games 6 & 7 last May.

I dunno about you guys, but lately anytime an official blows his whistle or replay has to be relied upon I secretly cringe inside knowing my team is about to be f__ked.

2. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Their remaining schedule is even easier than ours. We need to keep winning.

3. SemisolidSnake

Well, we did take 2 out of 3 from the best team in baseball, and every game was competitive. I knew going in that the Astros could beat them, but I didn't expect us to actually win the series. Shame that the A's got the Rangers to chew on during this stretch.

The call at the plate was BS. The home plate ump in general was terrible. That said, what made me go take a walk outside for a few innings was Keuchel serving up meatballs to the best hitters in baseball. The great batting team hit easy to hit balls, and runs were scored against us. The fact that we even fought back against that is a bit of a moral victory.

I still don't have a good feeling about any of the HEB crew at the plate.

Still, all in all, we took 2 of 3 and could have played better. So there's potential. But the Red Sox offense is scary, and we've got to bring ours just in case our pitchers aren't perfect.

Jake Tower and rockets1995 like this.
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Really sucks to lose on a blown call that was replayed but oh well.

Still took 2 of 3.

kaleidosky and conquistador#11 like this.
  5. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

After the top 4 RedSox hitters, the quality falls off dramatically. Just develop a plan for their top 4. Their bullpen is pretty bad and our starters are better than theirs.

conquistador#11 and rockets1995 like this.
  6. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

The desperation by Alex Cora and the Red Sox says it all in this game. Astros are better late in ball games, the bullpen is very dependable. Altuve and Correa are not in Top form or Fitness, hopefully they will start hitting for more power.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nobody is taking games lightly.

Also, nobody is going to win all their remaining games.

kaleidosky likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They’ve got a plan on JD... And all Benny is trying to do is beat the shift.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Depends...although we never know how the game would have turned out had the call been overturned, the Red Sox did score in the 9th which would have seemingly tied the game.

As an aside, coincidentally, the Astros talked about it a couple of games ago and the announcers touched on it last night, if you are touched with the laces (which looked quite probable), they are NOT part of the glove. That rule was changed a couple of years ago.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

True; you never know. But AJ would've managed innings 8 and 9 differently with a lead. Maybe he starts the 8th with McHugh, regardless. But I have to imagine, with a one-run lead & the top of the Red Sox order up, he goes with Osuna in the 8th and Rodon in the 9th.

everyday eddie likes this.
  11. bobrek

Right...we have no idea what would have happened as the game would have played out differently, so saying a lost run in the 7th inning cost them a win with the Red Sox having 3 at bats left, is not true. It did cost them a better chance for a win.

BigM likes this.
  12. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Tyler White is a good runner, he surprised me with his quickness with a double, but why replace him on 2nd, He should keep White in the Lineup at all cost, the runner on first, should've been Marisnick instead. Josh Reddick messed up that inning with his Groundball double play to kill that inning.

13. Hey Now!

Correction: I had Bogaerts and Betts mixed up - so it's likely Rodon in the 8th and then Osuna in the 9th.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Never know what would have happened with the Butterfly Effect, but it really looked like Rondon got strike three on Bogaerts with two outs already in the ninth (especially with the way the outside corner was called last night). I'm sure Astros have gotten some calls at some point in the season, but this one still stings.

everyday eddie likes this.
  15. ktex

ktex Member

Screwed twice in one day in one city by replay issues. Unreal.

16. Hey Now!

No, no - the Astros blew it. Reddick killed a 2-on, 1-out situation in the 8th with a double play, and McHugh's eighth inning was a complete disaster.

BUT... the game almost certainly plays out differently 6-5, as opposed to 5-5.

17. bobrek

Yeah...the umpire lost that outside corner as the game went on....certainly called it different late

18. bobrek

No disagreement there....

19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You would take Betts over Reddick? Blistering hot take.

Tomstro and YOLO like this.
  20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Osuna would've been pitching his 3rd game in a row yesterday.

He only threw 25 total pitches Fri and Sat, so maybe that helps his b2b2b cause.