1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I am extremely interested to see what Houston can get for McHugh. Between the ~$15M of payroll room they should have left, McHugh, Fisher, and Martes, they have some extremely valuable assets on hand to be able to upgrade LF, C, and the bullpen. Hell, I wouldn’t be shocked if they were still in on Darvish and moved McCullers to closer. It’s gone past video game roster construction.

2. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Would love to see them sign Tony Watson if they could. I think they still need a left outfielder but man Houston is looking legit to at least make the World Series. It's such a tall order to repeat but we can't say this management team isn't trying.

3. finsraider

finsraider Member

We can create another roster spot by DFAing Sipp. No reason not to at this point.

Love the idea of Watson. We don't have a proven LHP in the bullpen right now.

We can be super picky with the last spot. Don't know if we can afford the high end guys, but Lucroy or Gonzalez would be great options.

Is it possible we go after Martinez or Cain? The market is super depressed right now, so who knows....

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

We have moved from swinging for the fences to the parking lot.

MadMax likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I am not all that high on Watson. If they can’t get Britton or Hand I’d just as soon stick with Sipp and/or Gose as the lefties in the pen.

Updated projected opening day roster:

CF Springer
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    RF Reddick
    1B Gurriel
    C McCann
    DH Gattis
    LF Fisher

Bench: Marwin, Marisnick, Stassi

Rotation: Verlander, Keuchel, Cole, Morton, McCullers

Bullpen: Peacock, Gose, Sipp, Harris, Devenski, Rondon, Smith, Giles

Traded: McHugh

Optioned: Reed, White, Kemp, Davis, Martes, Paulino, Rodgers, Deetz, Guduan, Gustave, Hoyt

4 open 40 man spots.

Wish list:

Trade Fisher, Martes, Stassi, and Tucker for Yelich and Realmuto. Trade McCullers and 3 2nd tier prospects for Archer and Colome. Trade McHugh for 2 decent prospects (either 40 man guys with options or high upside lower level guys) to help replenish the farm.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Excluding LF, Houston’s 8 projected starting position players project to AVERAGE 3.7 fWAR in 2018. Their projected 5 man rotation is projected to average 3.4 fWAR. For perspective, 3.7 fWAR was good for 48th best in the entire league among position players last season (Andrew McCutchen and Steven Souza). 3.4 was good for 21st best among all pitchers last season (Wood, Duffy, Peacock, Stroman).

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

A starting rotation of Keuchel Verlander Cole LMJ and Morton has the potential to be the deepest since the Braves rolled out Maddux Glavine Smoltz Neagle Millwood. That rotation is considered by many to be the best all time, with 88 wins total among them (almost 18 wins per pitcher), a combined 2.97 ERA and the only rotation in MLB history where everyone K’ed 150+.

The big difference is that these Astros are almost guaranteed to roll out 8 SP through the regular season at any given time. We will have people on the DL for stretches, and if they aren’t hurt we will invent reasons for rest. Barring that caveat, however, we do have the possibility of matching the Braves in terms of everyone getting 150K. Hell with all the strikeouts increased across the board we had Peacock with 160K just last year.

Maybe our 1-5 can’t beat the Braves but our 1-8 with Peacock Martes Whitley contributing starts over the year can approximate it. And then factor in our MLB-leading lineup, and god it’s going to be a fun season.

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

10. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Supposedly Martinez has a 100 mil+ contract offer from Boston on the table

I’d love adding Tony Watson. Adding another LH bat and backup catcher would be nice but Astros can platoon LF with Marwin and Marisnick (16hrs in 259 at bats) and they obviously believe in Derek Fisher. McCann will still catch 130+ games and I’d like too see what Stassi can do and if he can be a backup beyond this year or overly impress and be future starter. I think they will give both Fisher and Stassi shots and if need be filling those roles at the deadline

pw1993 likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

I like this.

12. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Astros have the best lineup in baseball and the best rotation in the AL, if not the entire majors as well

conquistador#11 and craigharmann like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

As things stand, I'd go Fisher/Jake in LF with Marwin doing his thing everywhere on the reg. I really don't want to see him in LF unless Keuchel or another extreme GB pitcher is starting. He's that bad. I forsee lots of DH and spot starts (while other guys DH/rest) in his future.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

But...but....he threw out a runner...

15. Buck Turgidson

So he should play C or RF. Gotcha!

Joe Joe and bobrek like this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Fisher or Marwin in LF, who is better defensively?

17. Jeremy Williams

I think Marwin has the better arm; Fisher has the speed, but he has more difficulty seeing the ball off the bat.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Gattis

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I remember the many debates here on whether Gattis or Marisnick would start in the OF after Gattis was acquired. Good times.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Fisher needs a ton of work in all facets defensively.

Marwin is the safer/more consistent play.