1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 2, 2017.

1. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Their lineup is solid but what makes you think that lineup is as good as Houston’s?

Altuve > Kinsler
    Trout > Springer
    Marwin and Upton are a toss up
    Pujols/Ohtani and Gattis is a toss up/slight edge to Angels
    Bregman > Cozart
    Correa > Simmons
    Reddick > Calhoun
    Yuli > Cron
    McCann and Maldonado are probably a toss up/slight edge to McCann.

That’s 5 for Houston, 1 for Angels, 1 slight edge to Houston, 1 slight edge to Angels and 1 toss up.

Kinsler is well past his prime. Cozart’s coming off a career year that is a huge outlier compared to the rest of his career (granted the same can be said about Marwin). Pujols is barely slightly above a replacement level player. Simmons is also coming off a statistically outlying career year.

Not saying they won’t be good but IMO they don’t compare to our lineup.

#1381 texans1095, Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure he's even a replacement level player. Not sure how other teams have played him, but if everyone plays him the same way as the Astros going forward...he's likely much worse than replacement level player.

texans1095 likes this.
  3. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I would give Angels the edge for Upton over Marwin but your point stands. Angels defense should be significantly better than Astros if Pujols doesn't get much time at 1B. Astros pitching staff better than Angels regardless of how well Ohtani pitches.

On paper Astros should push 100 wins again and be a top team in baseball. Angels could win 90+ if everything breaks right.

raining threes and texans1095 like this.
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

LOL, no it isn't, and it's not close.

texans1095 likes this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

FWIW, Upton was basically an .800 OPS guy in the 5 years prior to last season. I agree he should be better that Marwin who we all expect to fall off some, but if I were a betting man, I would bet Upton won't repeat last season either.

texans1095 likes this.
  6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'd be shocked if the Angels win 90 games. I think they'll be a pretty big disappointment.

texans1095 likes this.
  7. awc713

awc713 Member

Man, life is good when you're the champs. Let them chase us.

Realistically, any team with Trout could be a huge threat. It's a matter of time until they make the playoffs. The Pujols/Hamilton contracts stagnated their past 5-ish seasons, but they're well on their way to becoming a dangerous team. Lots of good, young, affordable players. They need better TOR arms to really contend...but if they were to land a real front-line starter (a la Archer, Cole, etc.), they could be one tough out. We'll just be the tougher out:D

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

They have a terrible system. Who is this good cheap young talent? Just paid for a new older 3B and traded for an old 2B. Trout is young, but expensive. Calhoun is a decent player. So much is dependent on Ohtani, and he is TJS waiting to happen.

Nook likes this.
  9. PhiSlammaJamma

It seems like adding hot models worked last year. You can do the analytics.

10. awc713

awc713 Member

Simmons is the real deal. Best defensive SS in the league and his bat turned a corner last season. At 28, he looks like he'll be around for a while. Ohtani is a question mark, obviously. I do think his pitching will play better than his offense, but we'll see. And Upton isn't B.J. Upton. Justin is still a fine player even if a bit overpayed. He's a slugger who had a great rebound campaign last year. Regardless, a lineup with Trout, Upton, Simmons, Ohtani, and an array of playable hitters (Calhoun, Kinsler, Cozart, Valbuena, Pujols and Cron) should be a relatively strong lineup.

I've maintained that they need a TOR arm to really be a playoff threat, but they have a decent start. Richards has had his share of injuries, but he's a strong pitcher. Shoemaker is good. Skaggs and Bedrosian are also young and look to have bright futures. They need an Archer, but they aren't complete garbage. Obviously a lot will depend on Ohtani, but their team could easily get to 88 or so wins if they stay healthy.

11. conquistador#11

the key for the angels and mariners will be pitching and health. I like that Santana left the Indians, encarnacion has to start regressing a little bit.

For the yankees adding stanton and being favored to win the world series ,well, they forget that if Correa doesn't dive in, he could have been the MVP. Two Mvps at the same time! Springer too.

12. vince

vince Member

The Yankees, Angels, Dodgers have notably improved the clubs they were from last season. The Astros have slightly improved addition wise.

The Astros trump card is that Correa, Bergman, Springer are still improving considerably. Even Altuve keeps getting better every year, how much better can he get?

#1392 vince, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  13. texans1095

texans1095 Member

What have the Dodgers done to notably get better?

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It'll be interesting to see where Springer falls next season. I don't if he'll get better - he's certainly closer to his ceiling, I think, than Correa or Bregman.

I'm anxious to see if Bregman can build on a terrific second half. If he can be .900 OPS guy......... I mean, wow. His ascension and Correa's health are the two biggest wants on my Astros Christmas list.

vince likes this.
  15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Also: who cares? People need to stop worrying about what NL teams are doing.

16. vince

vince Member

My bad. It seems the Matt Kemp move was to Get under the luxury tax. I thought Kemp was still an elite player. It seems it was a wash move, motivated by financial reasons.

Joe Joe and texans1095 like this.
  17. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Although you can argue that move was made with the star-studded free agent class of next offseason in mind. So I guess in a way it did improve their team (for the future).

18. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, the Dodgers did that in order to set themselves up for 2018. The Yankees are supposed to do it as well. Harper is the rumored guy that's supposed to land in LA while Manny is go to the Yankees. Manny wants to SS as well. We'll see.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On Bregman, he went from almost making a lot to good plays defensively to flat out dominating defensively in the playoffs. He plays defense like he did in the playoffs all year, his defensive numbers will match if not exceed the perception of his defense prior to the playoffs. Trying not to get my hopes up, but he has such great potential despite already being a very good player.

20. awc713

awc713 Member

<insert Jack Nicholas yes meme>

If we could pull off a Realmuto deal...good god our lineup would be stupid

Nook likes this.