1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 6, 2009.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Berkman has had very sub-par seasons 2 out of his last 3 years along with a crummy second half in 08 and his second half production has been well below average, minus a few homeruns in meaningless games this campaign, for two season now. Overall, looking at his numbers Yes I can argue the fact, IMO, that he has started his decline but not saying he is going to be trash. Puma will hit between 20-25 homers and drive in 80-90 runs along with good to great defensive play but the days of 35-40 bombs and 100-110 RBIs are over.

I would begin to explore what he can bring back in a trade but again he won't be trash or anything close to it so I wouldn't take back just anything in return.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

4. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

Why don't these idiots just go and sign Joe Crede when Free Agency starts?

5. rockets934life

From Tag's twitter...

brianmctaggart Wade said team is talking with LaTroy Hawkins, who wanted to see who manager was going to be first.

6. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

about time? what a waste of reply for this thread we need pitching that all

and the manager and the fans can't say something rasonable

and i'm looking at brad lidge at the world series it just great :mad:

we just made the world series a few years and the next year the team was complete broken just great :mad:

keep the good job ASTROS

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

^

What the hell was that?

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Are you being sarcastic or are you seriously wanting the Astros to sign the Joe Crede who hit .225 with a .289 OBP for the Twins and could only stay healthy for 90 games and was also only healthy for 97 games in 2008 and 47 games in 2007?

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Crede will obviously want and get Kaz Matsui money then.

10. Buck Turgidson

just great? :mad:

11. Poloshirtbandit

RyanED back from the dead? :eek: :confused: :D

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Nah...this guy's spelling is much better than RyanED.

13. juicystream

Are you sure? I'm not sure what rasonable means. The grammar is awful.

14. right1

right1 Member

razonable is reasonable in Spanish :confused: .

15. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

Random Astros Post:

So I was looking through some old family photo albums...and inside one of these albums I found a black and white photograph card of, and signed by Curt Schilling in an Astros uniform. Could this possible be worth some good money? I hope so...I need some cash.

Ok, random post over...back to your lives.

16. T Rex

T Rex Contributing Member

I've been away for awhile, but I'd like to chime in on a few things.

1. While I would have preferred Acta, I've got no problem with Mills as our skipper. From everything I've read, he's ultra organized and a good communicator so those are two huge pluses over last year.

2. Whether we decide to move Miggy to 3B or not, I don't think it really matters in the short run. Our starters have been subpar/awful and until we have some legitimate depth in the rotation, we're toast.

Which brings me to a thought and a question for the Astros faithful. As I watched the end of the WS, you can't help but notice the immeasurable joy that takes over the Yankees players and fans. So.......

Will the Astros ever win a World Series in your lifetime?

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Do you have any idea how much I think about this?

When Jason Lane squeezed the final out to clinch the pennant in 05, all I could think about was how fortunate I felt to see it. I missed my grandparents who passed down the love the of the 'stros to me...and I gave my son a huge high-five and a hug...and then cried like a girl.

I've thought of what I would do if the 'stros won a World Series....I have no idea honestly. I really hope I'm alive to see that someday.

18. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Same here. My Grandfather was a big time Astros fanatic. He watched every single game. Even if they were down 10-0 in the 9th inning he watched it till the end. He knew his Astros history like the back of his hand, and could tell you stats of every player from the past and present. He passed away in September of 04, and the next year they went to the WS. All I could think of is I wish he was here to see it. :(

19. rockets934life

I think if they Stros are going to be looking for a legit 3 or 4(as they should) I would look at Jon Garland. The guy is pretty consistent and, while not as durable as earlier in his career, he could still give you tons of innings. He could be had at 1 yr with an option for another at 5 million but nothing more then that.

According to Dylan Hernandez of The LA Times, the Dodgers have declined Jon Garland's mutual $10MM option for 2010. The Diamondbacks will pay Garland his $2.5MM buyout, as per the terms of August's trade for Tony Abreu.

Garland made 32+ starts for the eighth straight year, putting up a 4.01 ERA, his lowest since 2005. FanGraphs valued his 2009 performance at $10.6MM, but it's hard to see Garland getting eight figures annually on the open market.

20. juicystream

I'm only 23, so I hope so.