1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 6, 2009.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I assumed no youth movement because 3 million for a fifth starter on a non-contending team is a waste of money unless it was a name guy like Pedro to sell tickets. While I agree with the signing if they now go on and trade Roy and/or Lance it would be a stupid singing when developement is the goal, so why not just let Paulino and lets say Bazardo pitch in the rotation all year instead of an aging veteren.

Now saying that I DO NOT WANT PAULINO IN THE ROTATION if we are actually going for it, please sign a 3rd starter dont just plug him in.

I am cool going young(getting over the Moles resigning eventually) but then trade Roy this offseason as his stock will only conitnue to go down with age.

2. rockets934life

If this is what everyone is saying (Max and Juicy) then I agree, I meant all out rebuilding project.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Because Bazardo posted an ERA of 8.77 in 6 starts. That is just awful, and as I said before, he is probably the spot starter when a member of the rotation gets hurt. Just think of how many different SP we used this year. Moehler, Oswalt, & Hampton all went on the DL. I said before I think a deal for half of that would be perfect, but this option was made after pitching much better the previous two years.

I want to see Paulino in the rotation. He had his share of excellent starts this year, and then just got no run support. I'm not suggesting Paulino is any long-term answer, but rather a minimal contract that can pitch well, though inconsistent.

I still hope to see Roy and Wandy traded next year. If those two guys can get off to good starts, they could almost rebuild our farm overnight. I'd still do anything to get out of Lee's contract. Even if we got zero in return, I would do it, and plug BB into LF. I would love to see a lineup next year of:

Bourn
    Maysonet
    Berkman
    Pence
    Keppinger
    Bogusevic
    Towles
    Manzella

Matsui & Lee will obviously be in Maysonet and BB's spots, so that won't happen, but it wouldn't bee too surprising if Matsui gets traded in July. He will be in at the end of his deal, so he won't cost much for another team.

4. rockets934life

I am down with rebuilding like your saying but then why pick up Moles' option as there are a number of young pitchers who we need to look at. Bazardo was horrible but the team wont contend so why take start away from him, Paulino or someone like Trindad just to see what they have over a full year? If they are going half/half again with better singing like DeRosa and Wolf then I agree with re-upping Moles to be a 5th but if they go super young then I'd be completely against Moles for 3 million.

5. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

[​IMG]

I guess this is why Drayton can't afford to sign decent players :rolleyes:

6. juicystream

Nobody should complain about Drayton being cheap when it comes to signing players. They guy spent over $100 million last year on the roster. You want to complain, then complain about his meddling or his not going over slot most years to get the best possible draft picks.

7. WA rocket

WA rocket New Member

Clearly, the money issue is not how much, but how well it is spent.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Bingo.

9. rockets934life

Looks like Billy the Kid might be retiring, I know his name was meantioned as an option at the closer role if Val was not offered or turned down arbitration.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/wagner_eyes_retirement_not_th_career_z64F7ZAhNUPX55NAGaroEN

A source close to the situation said Wagner might just need a cooling period before deciding to pitch in 2010, but also cautioned that the lefty is making his family a priority and could very well be serious about rettirement. In 15 regular-season appearances for the Red Sox, Wagner went 1-1 with a 1.98 ERA.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/mlb/091016_brocail_astros_must_rid_losing

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Don't let the door hit you on the a** on the way out, Dougie.

I'm not saying his comments are wrong by any measure. I'm just saying that it's time for him to hang it up. I'd have to guess that being injury prone @ 41 doesn't get any better at 42.

13. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

Drayton, are you watching? The phillies are about to repeat, and they have a little thing called pitching to go along!!!

14. juicystream

This year they do. Last year they didn't. They leaned on Cole Hamels hard. What they did have and still have is a dominate offense.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Two words never used in the same sentence with "Astros".

16. juicystream

Late 90's, real early 2000's, except for when the playoffs started. :eek:

17. msn

msn Member

Except for 1998, 1999, 2000, late 2004, and 2005. But other than that, yeah.

18. rockets934life

Can't agree with 2005 but yea the Stros especially in 98 and 99 had an explosive offense but just ran into Kevin Brown and the Braves Pitching Staffs.

19. rockets934life

The more and more I think about it I can really see the Stros looking to move Oswalt and possibly Puma. Last night after the game they mentioned #1 guys that the Dodgers might go after this offseason to put them over the top and Oz's name came up which would lead me to ask what do the Dodgers have that the Stros might want?

Oswalt

for

Loney
    2 AA or AAA prospects (Pitching would be the 1st choice as they have a real good farm system)

This would allow for Puma to be shopped for more pitching/prospects.

Just a thought and if Acta is hired I could see being a real possiblity.

20. msn

msn Member

oh man, you're right. I was just remembering Ensberg having his one outstanding season and projecting that on the rest of the offense--but it wasn't anything special; you're right.