1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[official] Astros offseason thread v.1.0

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 2, 2007.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

They're not that bad. Keep in mind that the seasons are considerably shorter. Einertson seems to be back. He was Pence about 3 years ago. I guess we'll see if he can do it in AA next year. I'm curious about Parraz. Looks like he has decent power (14 hr's, 76 rbi) and good speed (33 sb).

2. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

i wouldn't mind if the astros re-sign jennings for a 1 year ~5million deal. seems like jennings would want a 1 year deal to redeem himself and get paid off the next off-season. he seems to be the cheapest guy for the "potential" talent. there are no Legit #2 SP on the market.
    whoever the astros sign to be their #2 SP better not be more than a year because after next season Peavy, Santana, Sheets, Sabathia, Penny, bonderman, Lowe are all free agents.

the only trade chips for a #2 SP is pence/towles/patton. i don't see the astros moving any of them.

do you guys think the astros would go after Gagne or joe nathan?

3. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I hope that is directed at The Cat and not Texanskan

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I bet Jennings gets a 2 if not 3 year deal for more jack, like 2 year $15 million.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

OPS for our MVPs

infielder Cody Ransom (Round Rock)

outfielder Ray Sadler (Corpus Christi),

outfielder Mitch Einertson (Salem),

outfielder Jordan Parraz (Lexington),

shortstop Brandon Barnes (Tri-City),

6. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

What I want to happen next year:

CF Pence
    3B Lamb
    1B Berkman
    LF Lee
    RF Scott
    2B Wigginton
    C Towles
    SS Everett

Oswalt
    Backe
    Patton
    Wandy
    Woody

What will probably happen next year:

CF Anderson
    2B Burke
    1B Berkman
    LF Lee
    RF Pence
    3B Wigginton
    C Towles
    SS Everett

Oswalt
    Some mediocre FA signing
    Backe
    Wandy
    Woody

Getting rid of Lidge would be a huge mistake. Letting Lamb walk will be another mistake. Also, Luke Scott needs to play. He always played better when he got consistent AB's. Garner and Cooper kept jerking him in and out of the lineup last season. Scott's average was rising the more he played and if you look at the AB's compared with Pence, he actually had better power numbers.

Luke Scott 369AB 18 HR 64 RBI
    Hunter Pence 452AB 17 HR 69 RBI

7. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

except burke at 2nd, lamb on a different team, wigginton at 3rd.
    gotta really setup the bullpen to handle a ton of innings though.
    Lidge
    Qualls
    Nieve
    Sarfate
    McLemore
    Sampson
    Borkowski
    seems solid but would be nice to sign a really good relief pitcher.

8. Akhorahil

Akhorahil Member

I don't think it's possible but what about Luis Castillo at 2nd instead of Loretta. I like Loretta and all that but if it's possible to get someone like that, I say go for it. It would give the Astros a legit leadoff hitter and he's not too shabby defensively.

If you can get him, I don't see a real need to go after another position player. Unless you want to add depth on the bench.

9. PippenAintEZ

PippenAintEZ Member

I agree that we need to do something pretty big this offseason, with regards to starting pitching. So how about this crazy idea I had. How about we trade both Pence and Patton for Johan Santana. I mean I know we are giving up a lot, because I really like both Pence and Patton, but then again we are getting one of the best pitchers in baseball. And I think it would pique the Twin's interest, especially with Torii Hunter likely leaving for a big deal. And just think, with freakin Roy and Johan, you would have like our chances in any playoff series, if we would make the postseason. Then we would just have Josh Anderson in center and Luke Scott in right, and I would be ok with that, having a 1-2 punch of Roy and Johan. Of course there should be a stipulation that we would have to agree to a long-term deal with Johan, because I don't think Pence and Patton are worth a 1-year rental. I know it's crazy, but what do you think?

If the Twins call, and they said they will do the trade: Pence and Patton for Johan Santana, do you do it? Why or why not? I would like to hear everyone's opinion on this

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

That would leave our offense in a sh*thole. With no real chance of a future. Pence Berkman Lee as a 2/3/4 or 3/4/5 is pretty sweet future to look forward to as Pence blossoms (hopefully quickly). Change it just slightly and we're looking at the same offense we were dealing with for a lot of this season, esp. when Pence was hurt.

11. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I'd do it. Nothing is more important than pitching. Look where we where when we had it, even with an anemic offense, we made it to the final game of the NLCS, the World Series the following year, and missed the playoffs on the last day of the season the next year. Look what happened once we lost that great pitching. The team went nowhere and was out of the race by June.

It's all about pitching.

12. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

only if the deal was worked out and signed before the trade. i'd honestly rather wait a year and sign him or an equivalent as a free agent. hunter pence is pretty important to the astros mainly because he is young, very good and cheap.

13. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I kind of get the feeling that the team won't do too much in the offseason...sure they could use another ace behind Roy O...but pitching's at a premium and the free agent class is pretty thin...I really doubt any team is gonna wanna trade one of their aces away, and if they do, they'll be asking way too much.

So yeah, the team will have some salary to spend...they might throw a bone out there for Tori Hunter...look into any available pitchers....but when Spring Training comes...I'm willing to bet you'll see a rotation out of Oswalt/Backe/Sampson/Patton/Wandy/Woody and lineup of Berkman, Burke/Loretta, Everett, Ty, Towles/Ausmus, Lee, Pence, Scott (with Anderson perhaps coming up if Scott doesn't do much)

If you're not gonna get anything of real value, might as well wait till the season after when the FA class is supposed to look better.

14. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

MadMax made a statement and it's name is

B-I-N-G-O!!!!!!!!!!!

Assuming that Anderson and Towles continue to produce during spring training, our likely opening day lineup will be

CF Anderson
    2B Loretta
    1B Berkman
    LF Lee
    RF Pence
    3B Wigginton
    SS Everett
    C Towles

Our rotation looks like it will be Oswalt, Backe, Wandy, Patton, Sampson (or one of the young guys we had out there in September)

What we need to do is find another starting arm until one of our kids look ready. I'm not sure that Albers or any of the open audition guys from the last couple of weeks will pan out.

15. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

We grossly overpaid in a trade last offseason...I think we should avoid doing that again.

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

No, it will not. My goodness, the Astros aren't going to make permanent lineup decisions based on three weeks of good play in meaningless games. Barring a trade, there's no way on the planet the Astros will bench Luke Scott (.850 OPS outfielder, solid defense, .900+ consistently each of the last four months) for Josh Anderson, a slap-hitting OF who had a .650 OPS in Triple A. That would be one of the most moronic, indefensible decisions in the history of the sport.

Now, if Scott can be moved for pitching help, then I'll agree with you that Anderson could start. However, even in that scenario, I'd still bet the Astros look into signing a Mike Cameron-type before they hand CF to someone so unproven and without much of a track record.

17. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

what about going after D-Train? high risk high reward... yeah he has been going downhill for awhile. could be a steal.

18. Shaji

Shaji Contributing Member

dontrelle willis the past 3 seasons

2005: 236 IP, 153 ERA+, 170 K, 55 BB, 213 Hits, 1.13 WHIP
    2006: 223 IP, 112 ERA+, 160 K, 83 BB, 234 Hits, 1.42 WHIP
    2007: 205 IP, 82 ERA+ ( :eek: ), 146 K, 87 BB, 241 Hits, 1.60 WHIP

19. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

so, to sum it up, you want us to be a 72 win team, but what will probably happen is we'll put a 71 win team on the field.

getting rid of lidge would fall somewhere between a minor mistake and a great move. to think that letting lamb walk would somehow qualify as a mistake is downright laughable. losing lamb will kill us? playoff hopes out the window? he's a dime a dozen dude. just like about 70% of our current roster.

the only thing in here that i agree with is moving wiggington to 2nd, which i have been saying since the second we traded for him.

20. Akhorahil

Akhorahil Member

Depends on what it would cost and knowing the Marlins, I say no. They are going to be looking for a CFer and catcher. So that's Josh Anderson and Towles at the very least.

How come nobody likes my Luis Castillo at 2nd base idea?!?!?!?! Does everyone think that he will sign with the Mets no matter what? Cuz the Astros could outbid them if they wanted to. Or are ya'll just convinced we go with Loretta or Burke at 2nd. Personally I think we can't afford to not take a run at a guy like Castillo.

With all the young pitchers... Backe being back... Nieve coming back... The weak pitching market as far as starters, yet again... I'm more inclined to wait a till next year to get that superstar pitcher everyone wants. Let me start listing players whose contracts are up after next year.

Brad Penny
    Johan Santana
    Ben Sheets
    Mike Hampton
    Oliver Perez
    C.C. Sabathia
    Jon Garland
    Derek Lowe
    Pedro Martinez (I know I know... pfft still gotta mention him)
    Jake Peavy
    John Lackey

I can keep going... All this the same offseason that Woody is gone. Lets say half those guys resign... Well that still leaves a bunch of studs to go after. I know most of ya'll would whine all season, but it would be worth it if we can land a stud the following year.