1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Major

Major Member

Agreed - but if Lindor's number is between $325-$385MM, there's no possible way Correa will take anything less than $200MM. These next 6 years are theoretically Correa's prime years . If he took $120MM for those years, even if he were a superstar, he'd never make anything close to Lindor's $$ in his whole career.

Given the number of people that make $15MM for being not-great (just in recent years with the Astros, Reddick at $12MM+, Beltran at $16MM, McCann at $18MM, etc), Correa's downside is pretty limited. Even if he's mediocre, he can make another $100MM in his career at $12-$15MM/yr on some short deals. But his upside of a great season is going from $120MM guaranteed to $250MM+. The risk/reward is way too skewed for him to go for an offer like this.

2. Nook

Nook Member

I think what Correa gets will largely depend on how he does this year. There are only so many teams with the finances to pay over 200 million for a player, and there are so many shortstops on the market. An MVP caliber season from Correa and he may move to the front of the class and have the handful of teams with finances bid for his services.

I agree that the downside at 120 million is somewhat limited unless his back goes out. Also, my understanding is that the $120,000,000 offer was the Astros opening offer and they likely would have come up more. My pure speculation is he wants something that starts with a "two" for his next deal. I think the Astros would go up into the mid to high one's.... in the real of 150-170 possible.

3. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

I agree with this. If Correa declines a “best offer” before his deadline, he’s likely walking... and it is what it is. It gives you a full year to fully evaluate Jeremy Pena as a potential Carlos replacement, there will be a plethora of quality SS options in the free agent market, and as you alluded to... bregman can shift over to short and you can explore 3B options and prepare to allocate the “Correa money” into 1st base options(especially if they feel good about Pena) to replace Yuli after this season.

I love Correa. I’m thankful for all he’s done to help bring a championship here and he’s definitely developed into a team leader.

But if he walks... it wouldn’t be the end of the world and may allow us to fill some other holes with quality players and keep the team equally as competitive as we would be WITH Correa

Nook, msn, jiggyfly and 1 other person like this.
  4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

There's going to be lots more "Albert Pujols" players in the future cashing checks in their late 30's or early 40's for their prior performance.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It is the Mets so the appropriate and relevant comparison is Bonilla.

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

While true, I hope none of them are Astros.

7. phasors28

phasors28 Member

I wonder if Correa would take a 3year $90 million dollar deal? Gives him a nice bump and allows the Astros to extend the core group a little clinger.

8. Major

Major Member

There's zero chance of this. These $300MM/10-yr type players (Correa likely puts himself in the Lindor category, whether anyone does or not) are generally getting something like $50MM for the first few years, $30MM for the next few, and $10MM for the last few in terms of what teams are really paying for. No way Correa is taking a discount for the first few without the benefit of getting overpaid on the backend.

Nook, Astrofan59 and jim1961 like this.
  9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I don’t necessarily agree that Carlos Correa has played his last game as an Astro if an extension can’t be reached by tomorrow. The Astros have plenty of payroll flexibility for the 2022 season to afford one of the five elite shortstops available after the season or an elite hitter at a different position (Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo, Freddie Freeman, and Nolan Arenado - if he opts out.).

Either they retain Correa or they likely will sign one of the other elite hitters that will be available in free agency after this season. They certainly aren’t going to replace Correa with Jeremy Pena in 2022 and call it a day.

raining threes likes this.
  10. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Granato said his sources are indicating we get the deal done. Or so he said this morning.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What does Mclain say?

Nook, NotInMyHouse, msn and 1 other person like this.
  12. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

grumble grumble when I covered the oilers......

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yippee Ki Yay, Mother@#$%^&!

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ouch!

Sniper!

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

200/8... with an opt out after 3.

snowconeman22 and desihooper like this.
  16. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe some options around individual/team accolades?

17. msn

msn Member

source? or your prediction?

18. Buck Turgidson

I don't know, but McLane wants to know what Carlos has done today to become a champion

19. mightybosstone

I was trying to think of a number that felt like a middle ground this morning, and 8/200 was exactly where I settled as well. That gives Correa two more years and bumps the per year average by $5 million from the initial offer.

I can get behind that deal. $25 million is high given his injury history, but not if you factor in postseason performance. And it would pay him until he's 35-36, likely near the end of his career, but not past an age where he would no longer be a useful player.

I would love to see a deal get done today. This would definitely be a cloud hanging over the season if it doesnt.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. CrazyJoeDavola

Bingo. Because Bregman can easily move over and become a great offensive SS, the Astros have to effectively value Correa as a 3B.