1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. SemisolidSnake

Yeah, but that doesn't tell you anything. Bregman's shown that he has a lot of pride and love of the game and has channeled that into really doing some phenomenal work on improving his eye and thus his plate appearances. His attitude has driven him to amazing results. It's too early to say anything about Tucker's attitude, work ethic or whatever, and how that will affect his game. My initial impression just watching him, though, does not yell "pride" or "excitement to be here" to me. But who knows? I don't. I'd rather find out sooner rather than later what this kid is or isn't made of, though.

2. Marteen

Marteen Member

I blame the A’s. If the division race didn’t go down to the wire, we might’ve had a better idea of Kyle Tucker. That race could have huge ramifications going forward. It might’ve been the difference between having Realmuto here or Tucker. I’m glad they kept Tucker.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Cole won his arbitration case and will get $13.5 million

4. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Still way too early to judge Tucker's floor or ceiling. I get it that he has that nonchalant aura working against him since he has had little MLB success. Players that are quite can be very successful. He just needs raise his game to the MLB level. He stated that the big leagues took him by surprise at the level of day to day prep. Lunhow said he was very confident that Tucker is going to mature because of the experience last season.

It is unfair to except a 22 year to push his way into THIS lineup, I'm not saying it can't happen but Bregman is going to turn out to be one of the greatest Astros of all time once he is done. Bregman is just that crazy about baseball and talented. Let Tucker be Tucker.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

They (seemingly) have uncertainty around three positions: first base, left field, DH. If Tucker smashes in the spring, why wouldn't they have him in LF on Opening Day? Brantley is obviously in the line-up *somewhere* - but I'm not sure they would make the same accommodation for Gurriel and/or White.

The Beard likes this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I don't understand the shade everyone wants to throw on Gurriel. He's a solid hitter and his overall post season numbers are better than his regular season numbers even though he's had a couple bad series. Also, his injury last year is known to drain a hitter's power for that season. I expect him to hit nearly 20 HRs, have a .280 or better average, and drive in 80-100 RBIs. He's not Goldschmidt but he's good enough to hit 6th or 7th in our line up.

SS0101, Smacktle, IowaAstro and 3 others like this.
  8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I agree, everyone was clamoring for an upgrade at 1st. I like Gurriel, and he doesn't strike out a lot, he is a great contact hitter, if some of those hits start missing the fielders he'll be fine.

cbass and PTX like this.
  9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

His low on-base percentages drag down his productivity. At best he's an average 1B but given aging curves it wouldn't be surprising for him to be below average again. Tyler White has him in age and ceiling.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Yet his OBP was the same as Marwin and Correa last year and better than Reddick, Stassi, Marisnick, McCann, and Gattis. Like I said, he's good enough to hit towards the bottom third of our lineup. He was also 2nd in RBIs to Bregman and that's with missing the beginning of the year with his suspension/injury.

11. xcrunner51

Can't look at Yuli's offensive output without factoring defensive value. He's a minus 1B and is even worse at 3B/2B. He maybe a ~110 WRC+ hitter but combined with his defensive output he's gonna be a net average or negative.

Count me as one of the new-school people who discount the value of RBI's. They're more a circumstance of opportunity (who you're hitting behind and in front of) than a particular skill.

Jake Tower and Snake Diggit like this.
  12. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Astros legend, Doug Fister officially retiring

13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I use to agree on discounting RBI's more... until I watched day after day last season when a guy on 3rd with less than 2 outs didn't score on this team because so many guys were striking out (Marisnick, Fisher, Gattis, JD Davis, Correa, Marwin etc). I like that Gurriel at least puts the ball in play most of the time.

LonghornFan, Jake Tower and The Beard like this.
  14. awc713

awc713 Member

Anyone wanna take a stab? I'm guessing top offers made (and that are still on the board) are:

Harper: 6y 185m
    Machado: 6y 200m
    Keuchel: 2y 35m with 3rd year team option
    Kimbrel: 2y 25m with 3rd year team option (I think teams are a bit scared after his 2018 playoffs)
    Moustakas: 3y 15m
    Marwin: 3y 10m
    Gio Gonzalez: 2y 11m
    Adam Jones: 2y vet min
    Josh Harrison: 2y 6m

15. Major

Major Member

There has to be some metric to track this - for example, what % of runners get driven in, accounting for a runner-on-3rd-no-out is easier than runner-on-1st-two-out, etc. I suspect if measured in detail, there are certain players that are legitimately better at it than others, but I'm not sure and I'm not sure if it would be the people we think of.

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Good with your first 2 and Adam Jones

Keuchel: 3/45
    Moustakas: 3/25
    Marwin: 3/25
    Gio: 1/7 + team option
    Harrison: vet min

17. xcrunner51

Fangraphs has a Clutch stat. Yuli was considered great in 2017 and below average but within normal limits in 2016 and 2018. By comparison, Breggy was between great and excellent in clutch situations in 2018.

Major likes this.
  18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Harper: 9y 288m with a higher salary the 1st two seasons and a buyout after year 2
    Machado: 7y 213m also with higher salary and a buyout after 2 seasons
    Keuchel: 3y 51m plus incentives with 4th year team option
    Kimbrel: 3y 51m
    Moustakas: 2y 16m
    Marwin: 3y 22m
    Gio Gonzalez: 1y 6.5m
    Adam Jones: 1y 4m
    Josh Harrison: 1y 3m

#3698 Redfish81, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Harper $330M/9yr
    Machado $225M/7yr
    Keuchel $55M/3yr
    Kimbrel $33M/2yr
    Moustakas $18M/2yr
    Marwin $16M/2yr
    Gio $6M/1yr

Nobody else is getting meaningful money.

20. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

You think Harper has $330 million on board and still hasn’t signed?

That would certainly mean the entire baseball world is totally wrong about everything going on right now

I don’t think he has anywhere near that offered right now, nowhere in the vicinity