1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

HOU is not signing Harper. It's just not happening. Not in reality. It's a fun idea to tinker with, but, at the end of the day, we're nowhere near what the field will eventually offer. I'll eat crow if Crane and JL actually pulled it off (and my god, how insane would that be). But neither have done or endorsed anything that would make it seem like we have any realistic chance at nabbing him. It's just not how our organization is built. I think the Cardinals and Pujols is a pretty similar comparison, JL ties and all. Who knows. If I had to guess, I think the most we would/could offer is 10y/250m. The field will surely top that. Our only chance is if: 1) Harper loves HOU (tax benefits and all), and 2) JL goes sickomode.

It's probably borderline unhealthy to even think about. But a lineup of Springer, Bregman, Altuve, Brantley, Correa, White, and then whoever we field at C, OF, and 1B/DH/OF...my god.

2. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Haters gonna hate? :)

3. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

That's what I say.

4. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

As the days pass, it's more and more clear that teams aren't honoring 10 years contracts anymore. At this point, I think it's highly unlikely that anyone goes beyond 7 years. It's also more likely that Harper can get a higher AAV with a shorter term contract.

This is why I think HOU fans can have hope. I CAN see Harper here on a 4-5 year deal with a AAV that bests what a team might offer on a 6-7 term deal.

Harper is young enough to take a risk at a high AAV, shorter term deal in the hopes of playing on a true WS competitor, also while enjoying the higher AAV.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

We could, but it would almost mandate not locking up one of our own when the time comes.

Which of Springer, Correa or Bregman do you want to let go?

6. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

I'd take Harper over Springer or Correa.

I also would not pass on Harper in the hopes of something that might not happen.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

It WILL happen that we cant keep all three of them. Adding Harper might make it so we can only keep one. But it might be that Harper is (will be) better than 2 of those guys. Maybe.

8. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

We need to lock up Bregman at some point. I doubt we extend Springer or Correa. The key will be what we do to replace them when the time comes. Getting Harper now is more important to the team than hanging on the hope that Springer and Correa will both stay healthy, effective and affordable.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I thought you said it would take Martin and Derek Fisher.

LonghornFan likes this.
  10. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

If Luhnow and Crane don’t think we can extend or eventually sign Springer and/or Correa, I think signing Harper is possible. Lock up a stud now, one of our own preferably, but if not then maybe Harper

To me, this is the way Luhnow and Crane think

11. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Harper>Correa or Springer.

12. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I don't know. Correa needs a healthy bounceback year to be considered a stud. Last year was mediocre.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If Astros think they can't sign Springer and/or Correa, it is because they think they can't afford it. Considering those guys are in arbitration, they are more likely to afford Correa and/or Springer.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not over last three years even though Correa had a down 2018.

BigM likes this.
  15. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

OPS+ Last 3 years
    BH 114,156,133=403 total
    CC 124,155,102=381 total
    GS 125,141,116=385 total

Bryce wins

16. HTown2017Champs

Well, I can see Harper help us make money with all his endorsements, sponsorship and the media, while also possibly help us gain even more fans in the Houston area (something I think we still need).

IowaAstro likes this.
  17. awc713

awc713 Member

That gravely overlooks how injured CC was last year, and obviously doesn’t factor defense or on base skills. CC was on par or better offensively than Bryce 2 of the last 3 years by your measure, and his off year was due to back injuries.

18. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

If we are talking about sheer potential, all 3 are near equals.
    What they have done at the plate, potential aside, is a win for Bryce.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So what you are saying is that Harper playing crap defense doesn't matter usually at a weaker position of defense spectrum?

Correa and Springer win fWAR.

#3119 Joe Joe, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    jim1961 likes this.
  20. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Stick him at DH, and no it won’t matter.