1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 4, 2010.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Puma and Oswalt's money are already included in the 80 million, I actually calculated 73 million but I guess they are counting on high raises via arbitration then I did.

They will go cheap with the 5 outfielder, etc...they aren't going to go nuts with the extra 20 million. I'd guess the next time we sign a big fish will be after Caballo's deal expires. I'd look at guys like Melky Cabrera for the outfielders spot and someone like Javier Vazquez for the 5th spot in the rotation. I rather they look internally for the bench help, they have options in guys like Downs and Sanchez.

2. RocketMania1991

I honestly don't see the harm in leaving both Paulino/Norris in the starting rotation for at least one year.

After all we are in the midst of rebuilding.
    If Norris continues to struggle in the starting rotation then move him into the bull-pen.

Same for Paulino. I'd like to get a full year of him healthy, he has some nasty pitches when he is on.

We aren't contending next year so why not continue evaluating our players.

I seriously hope we don't bring Berkman back either, its just going to end up in him taking the starting 1B role and permanently moving Lee back to LF. Consequently removing Wallace from the equation.

3. rockets934life

I think Paulino can be better then a 5th starter, he was getting "it" toward the middle of last season till he got hurt AGAIN. I ignore then end of the year junk, he was getting back and probably wasn't healthy. Saying that, attendance counts and if the guy can't stay healthy how can we trust him. I'd be okay giving him another shot at the 5th spot but similar to Yao, another injury and I'd waive goodbye to the dude.

4. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

The difference between a #4 starter and "the other 24 roster spots" is that a #4 starter makes 35 starts and is counted on to take the ball every 5th day. 35 times a year, your #4 is the most important player on the field in terms of winning/losing. You couldn't say the same about your backup catcher or utility infielder.

There's little difference between a #4 starter and a #1 starter, in terms of role on a team. Each goes out and takes the ball every 5th day and tries to shut down the opposing team. A #5, on the other hand, will pitch fewer games and get skipped on off days.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The maybe not so obvious point that I was making is that the Astros have a lot of holes in their 25 man roster, the biggest of which are on the offense.

Norris has not been consistent, but he is still relatively young and inexpensive. The Astros do get their bang for the buck with Norris.

Both Norris and Paulino have had stretches over the last two seasons where they have shown better than average stuff. They compare favorably to what other teams run out at the #4 and #5 spots.

The Astros also have a great pitching coach, so odds are both pitchers will get better next year. And this is on a staff where the pitching is above average compared to the rest of the league.

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

Paulino, for me, has the most upside of any pitcher in the Astros organization, including Jordan Lyles. I don't know if he'll ever fully put it together and stay healthy, but you have to keep giving him chances. His stuff is absolutely filthy, and when he's on, he's dominant.

7. shsu33

shsu33 Member

Didn't see any threads about the Rangers losing so I'lll just say it here. Thank You Giants!!! Just like the '06 Heat I'll always hold a special place in my heart for them. Go 'stros, THE team in Texas!

1 person likes this.
  8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

wow, isn't that the truth. i remember that Heat team very fondly. :grin:

9. rockets934life

FAgency starts in 6 days, I don't expect the Stros make front page acquisitions but I do expect them to sign a familiar name or two and possibly pull off a trade you'd never expect.

10. RocketMania1991

I predict the following

"The Houston Astros have traded Brett Wallace and Jason Castro to the Chicago Cubs for Carlos Zambrano and Aramis Ramirez"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111111111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. rockets934life

Caballo for Big Z...DO ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

12. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

Nothing to see here folks, just some more Mike Hampton/Woody Williams garbage signings to fill the needs

13. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I take the same stance, and my friends in Dallas don't understand. I don't buy that, "we have to root for ____ because they're a Texas team." Or like when Alabama goes to the national title game, and Florida fans start chanting "S-E-C! S-E-C!" NO... that's not how it works. I not only want my team to win, I want every other team to lose. Especially if they share my state, division, conference affiliation, whatever...

14. Buck Turgidson

Who specifically do you want them to sign?

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Still hurts that the Rangers won the first World Series game in the state's history.

16. RocketMania1991

See the way I see it is the Rangers can have their one world series win. I'll take our franchises history over theirs.We actually have a history of good players they haven't been convicted of taking roids, and we have far more meaningful games in our history than theirs.

They got lucky because some random first basemen got lucky on a pitch and hit a 3 run shot that eventually won the game. Besides that there offense did nothing that game or the entire series.

17. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

What do y'all think of signing Bill Hall to play SS or 2nd base? He played practically every position this year and would provide some pop from our middle infield. I'm sure he is not going to be asking for outrageous money too.

18. Buck Turgidson

He'd be a great utility guy - RHPH, UtIf, 4thOF - but there's no way in hell he can start in the middle IF outside of an emergency.

19. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I really wish the Astros would use a bulk of the 20 million on Carl Crawford, even a backloaded contract. We don't even need to sign anyone else besides maybe a mil at most on a utility infielder.

Lee is gone after next year and we can afford to do it.

We would seriously have one of the best lineups in the national league to pair with four solid starters and a decent (on most nights) bullpen. We could be a playoff team and winning sells tickets too.

Bourn
    Crawford
    Pence
    Lee
    Keppinger
    C. Johnson

I'd take that 1-6 over the Giants 1-6

20. RocketMania1991

Why do you want Carl Crawford? And a backloaded contract would be horrible. Look at Carlos's contract....backloaded as all hell.

Not to mention simply adding Crawford does not improve one of the worst offenses in the league.

We could not have Crawford in LF and keep Lee at 1B while trying to get younger with Wallace.

And we aren't free of Lee after next year. He has 2 years left.

This team is still a good ways from contending, way to many holes in the line-up right now.

We have question marks at a large amount of positions and uncertain players who we need to see evaluated next year.

Signing Crawford would slow down the progress of this franchise.