1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Day thread 5-14

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 14, 2007.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

5-14 Today's Topic-- What is your greatest Astros memory? Was it a particular game? A particular play? Tell us about it here, to help pass the off day.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Mike Scott's no-hitter to clinch the division. Kent's HR against the Cards.

3. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

The double play that Adam and Eric Bruntlett turned in the NLCS against the Cardinals during our World Series run. It was the most spectacular one I have ever seen.

And whenever Biggio gets his 3000 hit. :cool:

4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

W, oh wait...

Best experience: Buying SRO tickets to Game 5 of the 2004 NLCS and then having someone agree to let us squeeze in beside them in the Crawford boxes. Jeff Kent's game-ending homerun ended up going nearly right over my head.

Other notables:

Darryl Kile's no-hitter on my 12th birthday, didn't see live, but it was made especially nice when I got to talk to Kile a couple of months later and thanked him for it. Nicest guy I ever met.

Watching the 6-pitcher no-hitter of the New York Yankees with a buddy who's a die-hard Yankees fan. I can't count the number of times he used the word fluke.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The best singular moment of euphoria as an Astros fan was Jeff Kent's walkoff in game 5.

Up till that point, I had figured the season was a success b/c of simply making the playoffs and beating the Braves... after Kent hit that, we looked like a team of destiny (not to mention that up till that point, this team had failed to win a close post-season game such as that.)

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

wow..i don't know.

Hatcher's HR in extra innings in game 6?

when they won the division title in 97 after 11 years of no playoffs?

Kent's HR?

Burke's HR?

Everett to Bruntlett to Berkman?

Jason Lane squeezing that final out of the NLCS for the 'stros first pennant ever?

7. msn

msn Member

First game, back in the late 70s. The Pirates beat us, 7-1.

Following the Astros, keeping scorebooks, of every game down the stretch in '86.

Laying on my bed in '86 and hearing Scottie's clinching no-hitter.

Having Rafael Ramirez's walkoff bomb in (IIRC) the 13th inning drop just three rows below us.

More recently: "CHRIS BURKE!!" (Milo's call in the 18th)

Roy's Game 6, especially that wicked Pujols K in the 1st inning.

8. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

to be honest, the first thing that popped into my head was not a walk off playoff homerun or some amazing no-hitter. for whatever reason, i thought about Gerald Young's first homerun after about 1200 at-bats at the Dome.

as for a "major" moment, I'd have to go with Jeff Kent's blast in 2004 playoffs against the cards.

9. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Scott's no hitter and the light hittng Ausmus tying the game in the bottom of the 9th in game 4.

10. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

[​IMG]

That smile sells it.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

forgot about that. probably the most improbable astro moment...at the most clutch time ever. seriously, that was nothing short of amazing. i was there and i couldn't believe it.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

-My hs band director cancelling marching band practice for the day so we could all listen to Scott's no hitter in the band hall.

-Getting to rush the field at the dome when we clinched the division in 99(?)

-Being there for the last regular season game to ever be played in the Astrodome. Bittersweet.

But my favorite?

[​IMG]

13. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

For me, it was the Ausmus/Burke combo in the clinching game against the Braves. From the big comeback, to the game tying homer by Ausmus, to the Burke homer after all those extra innings. That game was just awesome to watch.

14. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Definitely the Kent home run.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

So many to list. At the top...

Bagwell & Biggio playing in the World Series
    Scott's no hitter in '86
    Ausmus/Burke against Atlanta
    Kent against St. Louis

Also, seeing Sosa hit the light tower. During batting practice for that same game, he hit the top of the flag pole in center on a line. Had to be 600'. It was impressive.

16. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

I was at the Game where Roy O hit that homerun. That was awesome.

17. Buck Turgidson

Yep, he did hit some bombs. I'll never forget the infamous Lima game against the Cubs in 2000. Afternoon game, Eric Young homered before we sat down & there were 3 more bombs in the first inning, iirc.

[​IMG]

As for one that hasn't been mentioned: the night Randy Johnson got traded to Houston. I believe it was a Friday, I had been out & got home around 1AM & flipped on Arnie Spanier (sp?). First thing out of his mouth was "I want to hear from Houston about the Big Unit". Called one of my buddies & left a very drunken "WE'RE GOING TO THE WORLD SERIES, MOFO!" voicemail. Damn you, Kevin Brown.

18. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Beat me to it. I know it was in a losing effort, but that was by far my favorite Astros moment until the recent WS run.

There was something about the top half of that inning – like most of us, I was crushed when the Mets pulled ahead. After such a year of destiny and dominating Game 6 for 8+ innings, it was the first time I ever thought we’d actually lose the series. And when the Mets pulled ahead, I was convinced the game was over. It felt terrible.

Then Hatcher’s improbable blast came out of nowhere, and there was hope again! It was amazing. The crowd was louder than any home crowd until the 2004 playoffs.

Others:

• Seeing Scott’s no-no live after my dad picked me and a buddy up from school to skip and attend the game
    • Kent’s HR – my wife said afterwards she’d “never seen me so happy” (guess that includes our wedding day – oh, well ;) )
    • The Bruntlett/Everett DP – frankly, a much more thrilling game-ending play than a HR and, with a 3-1 lead, a WS berth seemed inevitable -- an incredible feeling

19. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Oh yeah -- that's a good one. As luck would have it, I was visiting Cooperstown the next day. Wore Astros gear, and strangers were coming up to me offering congrats on getting the Big Unit. It was a blast.

As you said, "damn you Kevin Brown" ...

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Funny thing is I didn't even hear about Randy Johnson until two days after the fact. I was moving that weekend and didn't have any access to internet/sports radio, so I had no idea.

I'll stick to in-person, which would easily be Burke's HR.