1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Mariners

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 20, 2018.

1. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

Correa was out with an injury, Cano was healthy and suspended for PED...there's a difference

MrBear1 likes this.
  2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I'm all for a good bat. But benching Correa is beyond idiotic.

3. Projecks15

Projecks15 Member

That would be the saddest thing ever. This is like the equivalent of having the best defense in football and not make the playoff

4. Projecks15

Projecks15 Member

If anyone that should be it should be Gattis. Dude literally only hits HR or nothing at all

DudeWah and everyday eddie like this.
  5. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

People want to bench Carlos Correa now?

What in the hell is wrong with people?

6. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

Consistency matters.

The last homestand we were abysmal offensively for 6 games but laid it on Colorado 12-1 in the last game.

So we ended the homestand dead even on run differential but were 1-6.

Did we play our competition evenly last homestand in your opinion or were we outplayed?

If you think we were outplayed overall last homestand you essentially acknowledge that run differential isn’t the end all be all stat.

You can’t win many game scoring 1,2,2,3,3,12 like we did that homestand even if the aggregate run average winds up being respectable.

All this said our run differential is basically flat the past 2 months. We were around plus 175 in late June or so and are still right in that neighborhood. So if that’s your go to metric we’ve been average the past 2 months.

7. HTown2017Champs

I said, have Correa DH a few games to see if that gets him back into it. Then put him back at SS, and the new bat at DH after like two games or something. Maybe an off day or something gives him a refresh. There's a difference. Gattis is the odd man out in this plan. Somebody didn't read the post.

8. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

You don’t bench Correa, but you sure as hell don’t continue batting him cleanup.

9. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Last year, we would of won the game last night. Our bullpen is playing with cigarette in its mouth. It seems like many years ago that we started a momentous streak in Seattle and eating grasshoppers. We rarely get blown away last year, this year it seems to be the norm. We can't shut down people and we can't come from behind. We maybe 2017 version of the Cubs.

10. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If tonight we get
    1. Springer
    2. Bregman
    3. Altuve
    4. Correa

I’m gonna be so happy

11. HTown2017Champs

I like Gonzalez as a new cleanup hitter. Definitely move Correa down (6/7) at least for the time. Again, for the last time, I just suggested bench him for a day or two, put him at DH the next day, and then back at SS and gradually move him back up the lineup. I think that will do the trick, but hey, what do I know? Some people commenting on the Crawfish Boxes are even open to making Gonzalez the everyday SS LOL.
    I support having Altuve DH a good number of games especially if his knee isn't 100% so that he can play 2B comfortably come playoffs and is fully rested. Sounds like Hinch may go with that, in which case, Gattis would have a really tough time getting at bats.

12. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

1st half #NeverSettle

2nd half #YeahWeSettled

DudeWah, SWTsig and everyday eddie like this.
  13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Same people that were whining and shortsighted last year to move Springer out of lead off during the World Series. Their opinions change on a game to game basis. I've lived with ADD for my entire life but these guys put me to shame when it comes to baseball.

I wonder if that changes the pitches Correa will see...especially with a moderately hot Marwin and Yuli hitting behind him. I wonder how having a healthy starting 9 for the first time in about 2 months changes the offensive outlook when guys like Gattis, Kemp, Reddick, etc are in their more appropriate places in the batting order?

everyday eddie likes this.
  14. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

The important thing here is that they get to face 78 year old Mike Leake tonight. Seriously, how that guy somehow turned managing a rag-tag band of Little League misfits to a win over a perennial Texas powerhouse in an exhibition between games of an Astros doubleheader 41 years ago into a viable career as a Major League starter is beyond me.

Wait...what?

15. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Mariners fans have been giving me a hard time at work today.

#155 Chilly_Pete, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Yes, they are better than us right now. But it's August 21, so just under a quarter of the season left, and we have been without 3 of our core hitters for a large part of that slump, including the MVP.

So yes, we are elite, we won the freaking World Series last year and brought back nearly the same squad plus some. And we are still tied for the division, so this stretch does not "define the season". There is still plenty of time to pick up steam and reclaim the division, though it won't be as easy as last year, and get some confidence heading into the playoffs.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

And I'm sure their fans are relieved that they are facing Brad Peacock in his first start this season.

18. Malaya

Malaya Member

Ask them if they've ever won a World Series.

Rockets FTW and everyday eddie like this.
  19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Ask them if they've ever been to a World Series?

HTown2017Champs and Rockets FTW like this.
  20. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

That was his brother Kelly.