1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Athletics

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 18, 2021.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

All series talk goes in here. Non series talk goes somewhere else. No PBP, that can be found from other sources if you need it. All games are broadcast on AT&T Sports SW unless otherwise noted.

5-18 Cristian Javier (R) vs. Sean Manaea (L) 8:40

5-19 Zack Greinke (R) vs. Frankie Montas (R) 8:40

5-20 Luis Garcia (R) vs. Cole Irvin (L) 2:37

2. Buck Turgidson

Hope all's well and you're not dealing with (more, again) weather related stuff.

raining threes likes this.
  3. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Well, I mentioned in the unofficial thread that my primary hope this series (beyond the obvious Ws) is a good game from Greinke.

But, that hope apparently disappeared into the ether ... that better not be a sign.

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

YEAH! Good to see the Official Thread.

raining threes and TWS1986 like this.
  5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Need to show these clowns who is boss. Straw is good for one more thing...

Making Brooms!

Houstunna and raining threes like this.
  6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

A 17" report from close to here. And the REAL rainmaker is due tomorrow.

#6 Marshall Bryant, May 18, 2021
    Last edited: May 18, 2021
    raining threes likes this.
  7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Astros vs. Athletics Odds, Preview, Prediction: Value on Houston as Road Underdog

Houston’s offense can rest easy knowing it will be facing a lefty, considering the team has the third-best wRC+ against southpaws this year.

The A’s will be aiming to win a fourth consecutive series, but unlike the heater this team went on a month ago, this one has been powered by pitching. Oakland is sporting a 3.81 ERA over the past week, checking in inside the top 10 in the league over that span. The bullpen has been particularly great with a 2.66 ERA, and not much has been asked of these bats.

The tricky part here is that he’s (Manaea) still allowing hard contact at a 39.4% rate, which is something that’s done him in many seasons in the past.

The Astros have absolutely mashed lefties this year, and have already gotten to Manaea once in this season. Though he got them back in his next start, I haven’t seen a ton from him that leads me to believe he’ll settle in against a red-hot offense. He was just roughed up by the Boston Red Sox hard in his last start, and when hitters have put the bat on the ball against him they’ve hit it hard.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/mlb/m...ce=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=tan

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

A weird statement considering the Astros are 2nd best against RHPs.

9. dream_team

dream_team Member

Serious question... why are the A's good? I scratch my head w/ this every season. They aren't necessarily good at anything, no stars on their team, but they find a way to have the 3rd best record in the league!?

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Chapman, Olson, Canha, and Laureano are good to star players. They have a bunch of average/slightly above average bats along with decent to good pitching.

#10 Joe Joe, May 18, 2021
  11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I've watched several of their games. They seem to get that big hit over and over again and from a number of different players. Seth Brown had a big game and pretty much won it for them. Their catcher Murphy has provided the big hits in a couple games. Olson has some big homers. Laureano has some really big hits as well. They just always get the big play they need.

They also had some luck. They won a game on a routine ground out to 3rd base. The guy playing 3rd for the Twins airmailed it to RF. They also got an error and a wild pitch to win a game on Sunday.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Nothing less than 2 outta 3

13. dream_team

dream_team Member

If you look at their team stats... ie. team BAA, OPS, Runs/game, ERA... they are mediocre across the board.

everyday eddie likes this.
  14. dream_team

dream_team Member

Is this just pure luck? Or there's actually something Melvin is doing to get this clutch hitting from his players?

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

With the amount of Ohtani and Trout highlights I see every night... I also ask a similar question as to why the Angels are not good?

marks0223 and BossHogg713 like this.
  16. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

17. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Thinking the same my friend.

raining threes and Tomstro like this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

I like Sean Murphy a lot behind the plate, too. Their bullpen has been good, as it usually is. Their defense is very good (outside of Elvis Andrus), as it usually is.

Montas and Manaea's numbers are skewed by 2 disaster starts each, but they've been very good otherwise. Luzardo just went to the IL for being a dumbass, but they get AJ Puk back soon, so their rotation looks solid going forward. Irvin has been a hell of a find, they bought him for cash from the Phils in the offseason. Bassit is doing the same stuff he's been doing since he came back from TJS 3 years ago.

Losing Semien and replacing him with Andrus has been a disaster so far. Chapman hasn't hit, you'd have to expect that to change. Their pen is short, and they really need an extra guy or 3 to step up there (sound familiar?).

#18 Buck Turgidson, May 18, 2021
    Houstunna and raining threes like this.
  19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Khris Davis isn't doing much for the Rangers either.

20. the shark

the shark Member

This starts a pretty tough stretch for the 'Stros:
    3 @ Oak
    3 @ Tex
    2 Dodgers
    3 Padres
    4 Boston
    3 @ Tor
    3 @ Bos

After this the A's play:
    3 @ Angels