1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Angels @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 23, 2019.

1. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

On Tuesday Uncle Charlie flies into town to face JV. Tomorrow's off day homework is to watch highlights of the 2017 World Series and enjoy.

HatsForBats and Rock Block like this.
  2. dannah

dannah Member

The ball hit his elbow, not Simmons

3. SemisolidSnake

Missed most of the game, but that's a pretty nice box score. Saw the highlights. Someone, please teach Yordan to slide properly.

whiskeyred likes this.
  4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

And Strom some thanks. FV was nails after every Strom visit.

Rock Block likes this.
  5. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Yes I realized that. But if u remember, A-Breg was crushing the ball but right to fielders. He almost crush a grand slam in his first or second at bad. As for Toro, that RBI single today was the first time he hit the ball that left the infield since he got called up.

And not every players that start out like A-Breg will be like A-Breg. That’s just a stupid comparison.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

No more stupid than giving up on a guy after a handful of games.

dannah, raining threes, Nook and 2 others like this.
  7. mick fry

mick fry Member

I lost count how many times was he nails? :)

8. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Taste better than the 30 LOB he stranded since he got called up.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't remember Bregman was not crushing ball outside of couple of ABs early on. I remember stats guys being way down on Bregman as his quality of contact stats really sucked out of the gate. I don't think Toro will equal Bregman, and Bregman should not be used as a comp for a bad start. He's improved a lot in the majors. Though if you are going to freak out about a few games, expect to be ragged on.

On Toro, he's hit into a few outs to the OF plus had a majestic near 400-foot foul.

Tomstro likes this.
  10. HatsForBats

HatsForBats Member

Valdez was great today, Toro has played quite well at 3b. Maybe the first rbi will lead to more. Was very glad to Reddick have a productive day at the plate as well.

vince likes this.
  11. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Yanks look tough. They have contact hitters all through their lineup. Can’t limp in underestimating them in the postseason like we did with the Redsox last year.

12. bobrek

Please explain how the Astros underestimated the best team in baseball last season? What are some examples of their underestimation?

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

They are more of a power hitting team than contact hitting team. They are middle of the pack in terms of strikeouts while the Astros have the fewest strikeouts in the league while also having some of the most power which is a rare combination. I like our fully healthy line up to theirs. Some of their most powerful hitters are strikeout machines such as Stanton.

14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

3 or 4 times:p

mick fry likes this.
  15. bobrek

Probably the most times he has ever visited a single pitcher. If he could just park himself behind the mound when Valdez pitches, he may turn him into a Cy Young candidate. :)

raining threes and mick fry like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

He may not have hits to show for it, but I have been pleasantly surprised. He isn’t over matched. He makes contact, has a nice compact approach at the plate... his glove is good, he is fast out of the box and good on the base path. He has all the tools to be a very productive player.

He also is young in his baseball career. He has very little experience playing the game at a high level. Plus his AA manager recently said he is a hard worker and perfectionist that loves the game.

raining threes likes this.
  17. mick fry

mick fry Member

Is it illegal to have an earpiece? Strom could be with him every pitch. :eek:

18. mick fry

mick fry Member

He’s proven his arm strength with the foul ball down the line that he corralled then gunned to first I think it was yesterday.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  19. bobrek

Valdez looks like a guy who needs to be looked at in the eye and responds to a good, profane chewing out.

20. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Wasn't that Altuve?