1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Angels @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 9, 2017.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

You dont know that.

If we did it right, it would cost us players that we cant protect in Rule 5 and/or are blocked from advancing anyway. Maybe one guy that does not fit that description to headline the deal.

2. Major

Major Member

They are actually saving the bullpen from depletion to some extent by calling up and using random dudes like Diaz and Guduan - the more innings they eat, the better.

Just for a bit of a reality check here - in the last 10 games, the Yankees have gained 1 game on us. NONE of the other 13 teams in the AL have gained a single game on us. Besides, if you believe this team is that good that it can go far in the playoffs, we should be able to hold our lead reasonably well through some rough times and then extend it again when we're healthy. If we're not able to do that, we're probably not that good going into the playoffs anyway.

I'm all for another starter, but I wouldn't waste time trading for another BoR guy - we have plenty of those. The ones that come cheap are just as likely to tax our bullpen as Paulino, Martes, etc. If I were the Astros, I'd just call up 2 AAA starting pitchers and tandem them for a game, no matter how good or bad they do. Send them back down and then bring up 2 more guys. Saves the bullpen, gives people some low-stress MLB experience, doesn't waste any prospects, etc. And you never know when you might find a gem that can help down the stretch.

kaleidosky likes this.
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

That is fair. But it sounds like your trading games for saving the pen.

I am more worried about the next 30 than the last 10. My premise does assume the Bor guy we get would do better than Martes, Paulino, ect... If he didnt, then I agree with you.

4. HTM

HTM Member

Any official word Musgrove is going tonight?

Edit: I see ESPN has him starting... I'll take it..

We get Darvish? We always get the front of their rotation?

5. Major

Major Member

Yes, absolutely true on my end.

Let's say our lead over the next month falls from 12 games to 4 games, which would be an epic collapse on our part plus a pretty strong run by someone else in our division (none of whom have shown that) - that's basically an absolute worst case scenario here. And maybe if we got a BoR starter today, they would win a couple of extra so it would have been 6. If we can't hold a 4-6 game lead to close out the last 2.5 months of the season, are our chances of winning in the playoffs really that good? It means we're pretty mediocre for the last 4 months of the year. (this assumes Keuchel is back and healthy in a month - if he's not, we've got bigger problems)

My point is that if the team is as good as we think they are, then they should able to handle a rough June while getting healthy. And it can build character. :D

Besides, we still have the secret weapon of getting better by moving Springer out of the leadoff spot later in the year to make the lineup better. :p

kaleidosky likes this.
  6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Ok...I guess there's a chance that losing a couple of games now drops the Astros in seeding, which would change their matchup--the only way it impacts their ability to go far in the playoffs.

But you don't know that it drops them in seeding any more than I know it doesn't. I think it's far less likely that a few games now impacts October given that the Astros have a cushion, a good team, and are likely to have a very good rest-of-season.

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Your thinking is a little like yesterdays game. Were up 6-3. One could say that that lead should hold putting Feliz and Hoyt in there. If it doesnt, then we surely can add runs in the later innings as we have been very good at doing. If neither happens, then we are not as good as we think we are :)

Got to save our secret weapon for when our opponent leasts expects it :cool:

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Your right. Neither of us can KNOW. But here is the thing. I think this could be an historic year. What we do right now (or dont do) could well impact how things turn out. I would much rather sacrifice a couple prospects and save a couple games now, then later, if we were to fall short, look back and wonder why we didn't do everything we could to save games earlier in the season. Several of you seem so confident that games lost now wont matter later. You could turn out to be right. But I for one dont want to roll the dice. Not this season.

9. Major

Major Member

If we're so bad the rest of the way that we choke a 12 game lead, this year isn't likely going to be very historic. That doesn't seem likely to change if we save a couple of games with a BoR starter and only lose a 9 or 10 game lead and barely make the playoffs.

kaleidosky likes this.