1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Andrew Yang for President 2020 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Roxfreak724, Feb 18, 2019.

1. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Yeah, I don't believe this at all. Trucking is not going to become automated. Wait til some company gets sued out of existence when a robot truck crashes and kills people. The trucking companies won't do it.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Man, your takes are so bad I feel like your trolling.

So based of your statement, I presume you don’t work nor have you ever worked in your entire life, nor does anybody else on this forum, nor anybody in the USA that doesn’t make at least 2.2 million dollars per year.

Why make such a statement?

3. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Re: Trolling.... I have a very different view than certain posters here ascribe to. The MSM and much of society sells us a narrative. To be sure, I don't mind undermining the "pretty lies."

UBI is one of those "pretty lies."

Yes, I work of course; that's the reason I'm not on here as much as some other people. That's why I can't slavishly follow the news like some here do.

If you work hard and use your head, study your market, have something to sell that people want -- you will succeed. It's just that a lot of people don't want to do those things.

Thus, they talk about "UBI", "income inequality", etc etc.

dachuda86 likes this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

So I'm guessing you do realize how incredibly bad your statement is - that only a fraction of the top percent work, correct?

You're just extremely out of touch with the direction of our economy and showcase it about every time you post. If you are doing well financially, have a good paying job and things are working out well due to your hard work and dedication, then I'm happy for you, I mean that.

That still doesn't mean your personal situation is reflective on America's working class, that still doesn't reflect the direction our economy is headed for the vast majority of the working class in America. It's not because people aren't working hard, it's not because people don't study, or use their head, opportunities for well-paying jobs in America are dwindling due to automation and technological advancement, cost of living and education is rising rapidly, the rich (fraction of a percent) are just absorbing all near all newly generated wealth without it ever getting back into the hands of the working class.

5. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

I'm not sure if I wholly support UBI but I think Andrew presents problems that really necessitate a thorough discussion of UBI.

First and foremost is the ongoing disruption caused by automation. The example you bring up of gas jockeys losing their job fails to encapsulate the speed and breadth of the displacement that ongoing computer advancements will bring to the economy. These are not changes that will take place slowly over many generations (or even 30-40 years), they are changes that are restructuring the economy in a time frame of 10-20 years. That's f**king fast.

If you want to believe that these changes have not already been taking place and will not accelerate further to the kind of destructive rate that Andrew is talking about then so be it. However, pretty much all economic forecast regarding automation disagree with you. It will kill much more than "some" jobs, but the real problem is the speed at which those jobs will die, not the number. Also, I don't know who said anything about 50% unemployment, that would be absurd. However, 50-70% of truck jobs lost by 2030 will result in the displacement of about 2 million truck drivers, who will have limited alternatives in an increasingly dynamic economy.

Lastly, your macroeconomic evaluation of UBI carries certain critical assumptions that I tend to disagree with:
    1. The idea that giving $1000 to everyone increases prices and leaves no one better off assumes that the economy is currently operating at potential output. Proponents of UBI and other stimulus plans argue that the economy has not been operating at potential output for some time. Essentially, they believe that the economy has reserved production capability that is being unrealized due to a shortage of demand.
    2. Lower-income households have a higher marginal propensity to spend than higher income individuals. For the intermediate term (think 6-10 years), UBI is forecasted to stimulate local economies that largely depend on the spending of middle to lower income families to survive.
    3. Debt will continue to grow (if current income tax schedules are maintained) with or without UBI, but the increased tax revenue yielded from UBI will actually result in a lower debt increase over the next 6-10 years. Debt is an issue that, if people really want to solve, will be solved by increasing income taxes across the board (Which Republicans hate doing and always seem to forget about when passing their unsustainable tax cuts.)

Again, this is a necessary, nuanced discussion. If this whole issue was something that could be addressed with a simple old colloquialism of "too many dollars chasing too few goods" we wouldn't need to discuss it and everyone would move on with their lives. The sign that we are discussing it recognizes the legitimate, ongoing economic anxiety that has dominated both domestic and international politics for the last decade.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I watched the entire podcast, I think the reason he has everybody getting "the dividend" is so he can break it off from the mindset that it's "welfare" for political reasons. Only 9% of the working class makes over 100k per year. so for 91% of the working class 12k per year be a significant amount of money that would decentivize people for making certain benchmarks of money if you were to make a cut off at any particular income amount within 100k. It also cuts the need for management expenses of having to determine peoples incomes. I get the argument for a cut off after a clear comfortable income (say 50-70k a year range per person), I guess that wouldn't be UBI anymore but more so a reverse tax like the one Milton Friedman layed out.

Your numbers aren't exactly what he said but he didn't explain it properly and actually has holes in his numbers now that I double checked

1.2 trillion in current welfare $
    800 billion in VAT
    400 billion for tax receipts
    200 in health care, prison, homeless savings

That's 2.6 trillion, the additional trillion he mentioned isn't entirely additional but included the 400 billion for tax receipts, 200 in health care/prison savings. So he didn't specify the missing 400 billion bridge to 1.8 trillion. I'll have to find another statement on what his exact plan is number by number, it does worry me that he didn't explain it better.

I think you mentioned in a later post, and we likely agree, you're open to UBI if it can be layed out properly in a way that makes sense. Yang may, or may not be able to that.

Why does a standard VAT tax make sense for basically all other developed (and many undeveloped) countries, but not the US?

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You simply do not know what the hell you are talking about. It's amazing to read what some people can write just because they can. It's just lol to be honest.

"believe" lol

Senator likes this.
  8. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Well, I appreciate your well wishes, and I'll concede this: you make a thoughtful, intelligent post.

Though, I have to say that I'm not sure what you mean by "only a fraction of the top percent work, correct?" Are you meaning to say that the top 10% wealthiest don't work 9-5 jobs? Or have "jobs" at all?

If this is what you mean, I would say: well, of course they don't. Neither would you or I (or anyone here) if they were in the top 10%. We'd enjoy our lives more. Perhaps unlike you, I don't begrudge them this. If I am understanding you correctly.

I'm sure there are some people that work hard that can't get ahead. But almost always (notice I didn't say always), there's some unfortunate decision they have made in their life: they did it to themselves. Sometimes, they continue to do it to themselves, over and over. There's all kinds of dysfunctional behaviors. Bad relationships. Bad spending choices. Bad choices (or at least non-productive choices) of how they spend their leisure time. I see this over and over, among friends and acquaintances; and in the news in general.

Nor does this make them necessarily bad people. But I see people being their own worst enemies all the time, and that impacts their economic lives. Here's an example: how does spend one's Friday, Saturday or Sunday night? At the club? Or seeking and thinking of ways to make more income? If a person is in a tight economic spot, I would say they need to be focusing all their time on ways to get ahead economically.

Yes, a bad thing can happen to a good person. Unfortunately, it happens all the time. A good person can find themselves in a tight economic spot, for sure. But a good person, with only decent intelligence and decent work ethic (they don't have to be superman), doesn't stay in a bad economic situation year after year. Thus my opposition to something like UBI.

Of course, UBI is a bad idea for other reasons, namely that if you give everybody $1k a month, all that happens is that prices rise and no one is better off.

And so, we all make generalizations based on our life experiences. The above are mine.

And, I do wish you well, as well. ;)

9. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Just a quick reply. I appreciate the detailed, thoughtful post. You make several intelligent arguments, and I shall study and consider them.

Though, I'm not sure I agree with some or even much of it, at a quick glance. I can't see trucking jobs being replaced. That's way too dangerous to be left to computers. The insurance costs alone would make it prohibitive, I think.

The 50% figure I have seen elsewhere. I don't deny things are changing rapidly.

But what has enabled man to become the "apex predator" or the top of the food chain etc? His ability to adapt. We've always had to adapt. From the industrial revolution on (maybe before that too).

Are we saying that people cannot, or simply will not adapt to a new economic landscape?

#89 BruceAndre, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  10. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

So, help me out. Instead of tossing borderline insults, please tell me: How I am wrong?

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

We will eventually have automated fleets. However the idea that it will all be fully automated in 10 years is utterly ridiculous. We are still a few years off before we even consider going mainstream automation, and that is just for long hauls. There is still plenty of jobs for local freight deliveries.

When it comes to UBI, i am not sure why the echo chamber is using truckers as their pet example.

I dont mind UBI in a serious discussion. Im not a fan of the chicken little mentality.

BruceAndre likes this.
  12. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Humanity, as a species, has adapted to unbelievably varied circumstances across the millennia. Together, we have battled (and continue to battle) the dangers of mother nature, the horrors of infectious disease, and the challenges of living in such varied climates.

But we have had billions (yes, billions) of casualties along the way. Though every successive generation of humans has gotten stronger, very much in part due to their predecessors, we have lost countless while marching on. To ignore that fact and simply celebrate the status we enjoy as humans today is to discount the immeasurable pain our species has had to suffer to get to this point.

Humans as a species possess a persistent, indomitable spirit. But individually, we are actually quite vulnerable and fragile. We can adapt over the course of generations, but not over just decades. That premise is what informs my support of policies that will buffer what I believe to be a rapid, destructive economic transition.

Life expectancy in the US has already been going down in recent years, due in large part to the increase in suicides and opioid abuse that are very much tied to economic realities. That will continue to accelerate in direct correlation with increases in economic insecurity. Now, I am not insinuating that UBI will somehow magically fix these problems, but they will buy us time (while saving at least a few lives) to create the necessary systemic changes to our education and health systems required to set the stage for a dynamic economic future.

Of course, humans who have grown in this unpredictable economy and those born from here on out will be prepared to adapt. But the 40-60 year olds who have only known the economic security of a reliable job? They will be the casualties this time around.

If you are ok without acting and accepting the impending human suffering as the price of unbuffered automation, so be it. The consequences will be unpredictable, but they will be dire. I believe it would be morally and economically beneficient to mitigate the suffering of my fellow man.

Also, in regards to your belief of trucking jobs being replaced, it's really more of the existing economic incentives in place that encourage automation. The reality is that not many people, even the truckers themselves, want to be truck drivers. There is currently a shortage of truck drivers, thus the average pay and benefits for a truck driver are very good (median income for a Walmart truck driver is $73,000). When the drivers are making that much per year, and also can only work 14/24 hours per day max, the added liability costs of autonomous trucks are negligible. Business people are smart, and their investment in this technology will reflect a sound cost-benefit analysis. Plus, autonomous trucks will only travel the long freeways between cities. You will still need a few drivers to drive the trucks into the city and to their final destination, which will significantly reduce the liability risks you mentioned.

13. biff17

biff17 Member

yeah I think he is trolling but I am starting to believe he is really that ignorant.

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

UBI can't work because it creates an inflation feedback loop in theory, tell me how in practice this won't be the case and then people will have a serious discussion about it. It is not sound economic policy.

BruceAndre likes this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don't think your understanding me correctly.

I posted -

You replied -

I replied

If you read what you replied to my post, you will see that you basically said a fraction of the wealthiest one percent in the country are the portion that actually works. Which is insinuating that the rest of the population doesn't actually work. That was a seriously ridiculous statement to make, perhaps you didn't realize what you were saying or replying to?

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I have never heard of UBI For All outside of Yang. His nonsense is not even worth discussing.

I am more supportive of a UBI as a supplement provided there are legit programs that turn people into productive members in society.

As I mentioned before, there are basic needs every human should be given. Money is not one of them. If a person does not wish to be productive and expects society to take care of them, then we should create communties that give them a small room for shelter, a community kitchen with food and basic medical needs.

BruceAndre likes this.
  17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Nothing is just given. To expect money for not wanting to be a worker in society is silly and selfish. This idea that society must provide for all is utopian nonesense and a nice way to dodge the harsh reality of the world we have always lived in.

Even welfare today is taken, not given. People have collectively, through governmental and political force, taken that money from others.

BruceAndre likes this.
  18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Couple points here -

1) Population increases aren't necessarily good for us , one thing that's set us apart from most other countries is our population density being relatively low and having lots of resources spread among a smaller number of people.

2) Population increases are desired / needed by the gubmint to support our debt load. Without increased population we simply cannot service the debt going forward - its at unsustainable levels per capita.

We're really doing future generations a terrible disservice on both fronts - debt and population density.

BruceAndre likes this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

My solution is a bit different …. look at the NBA CBA and how it distributes profits between the players and owners. I like something similar on a national level - share the wealth with those who help make it instead of CEO's making 300-400x the average joe.

This is definitely NOT factual. Its common knowledge that these migrant workers send remittances back to their country of origin.

I worked with many immigrants at a large Houston manufacturer - legal and illegal - those who were here on visa , to a man all took significant amounts of money back to their countries of origin as did their illegal counterparts who returned.

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

See my other post, how do you think they send money anywhere? That's right, using local financial services of some kind. Also, I'm 1st generation American, extended family still lives in Mexico. Trust me, money sent back isn't nearly as much as you think. These folks have to live and make a life on meager wages, they do that by spending all their money.