1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Office of Strategic Influence (Office of Propaganda)

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by rockHEAD, Feb 19, 2002.

1. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Pentagon Readies Efforts to Sway Sentiment Abroad

WASHINGTON, Feb. 18 - The Pentagon is developing plans to provide news items, possibly even false ones, to foreign media organizations as part of a new effort to influence public sentiment and policy makers in both friendly and unfriendly countries, military officials said.

The plans, which have not received final approval from the Bush administration, have stirred opposition among some Pentagon officials who say they might undermine the credibility of information that is openly distributed by the Defense Department's public affairs officers.

The military has long engaged in information warfare against hostile nations for instance, by dropping leaflets and broadcasting messages into Afghanistan when it was still under Taliban rule.

But it recently created the Office of Strategic Influence, which is proposing to broaden that mission into allied nations in the Middle East, Asia and even Western Europe.

The office would assume a role traditionally led by civilian agencies, mainly the State Department.

The small but well-financed Pentagon office, which was established shortly after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, was a response to concerns in the administration that the United States was losing public support overseas for its war on terrorism, particularly in Islamic countries.

Little information is available about the Office of Strategic Influence, and even many senior Pentagon officials and Congressional military aides say they know almost nothing about its purpose and plans. Its multimillion dollar budget, drawn from a $10 billion emergency supplement to the Pentagon budget authorized by Congress in October, has not been disclosed.

Headed by Brig. Gen. Simon P. Worden of the Air Force, the new office has begun circulating classified proposals calling for aggressive campaigns that use not only the foreign media and the Internet, but also covert operations.

The new office "rolls up all the instruments within D.O.D. to influence foreign audiences," its assistant for operations, Thomas A. Timmes, a former Army colonel and psychological operations officer, said at a recent conference, referring to the Department of Defense. "D.O.D. has not traditionally done these things."

One of the office's proposals calls for planting news items with foreign media organizations through outside concerns that might not have obvious ties to the Pentagon, officials familiar with the proposal said.

--

good info... click the link for the complete article

--

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

this frightens me...particularly the concept of publishing false news items...this reminds me of "1984"...I don't like it.

3. treeman

treeman Member

Good. About time.

MadMax:

What are we supposed to do, not counter the endless streams of anti-US propaganda that our enemies are constantly spewing? This is just a recognition that we can no longer ignore it.

I wouldn't worry about the "false information" bit; I don't think the intention is to feed the Euros (or our public, for that matter) false news stories; the intention is to ise disinformation and information warfare strategies against our enemies' populations. Such has been the way of warfare since the dawn of history.

4. Major

Major Member

<B>The Pentagon is developing plans to provide news items, possibly even false ones, to foreign media organizations as part of a new effort to influence public sentiment and policy makers in both friendly and unfriendly countries, military officials said.</B>

And we wonder why other countries' people and governments don't trust us...

5. treeman

treeman Member

Major:

What other countries - even so-called "allies" consistently spread/publish/report lies about us all the time. We are not allowed to do the same?

At least this is in the context of information warfare in wartime. Everyone else does it regularly during peacetime, and for much less admirable reasons.

6. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Then counter with the truth. It should be on our side.

7. MadMax

i don't like it...it will go on with or without my approval...but i don't like it.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So, if every other country was jumping off a bridge, would you do it too?

9. MadMax

yeah, mom!! i know!!! :)

10. treeman

treeman Member

Puedlfor:

99% of the time we can.

All this is saying is that at times we'll really be "here", but we'll tell everyone we're "over there", that type of thing. Feeding the enemy misinformation is nothing new - it's been done in pretty much every war in history. You're reading too much into it.

RM95:

Great analogy. Comparing suicide with wartime defense...

This is called fighting back.

11. Major

Major Member

<B>What other countries - even so-called "allies" consistently spread/publish/report lies about us all the time. We are not allowed to do the same? </B>

I thought we were a little better than that. Like Puedlfor said, use the truth.

<B>I wouldn't worry about the "false information" bit; I don't think the intention is to feed the Euros (or our public, for that matter) false news stories; </B>

<I>The Pentagon is developing plans to provide <B>news items</B>, possibly even false ones, to foreign media organizations as part of <B>a new effort to influence public sentiment and policy makers</B> in both friendly and unfriendly countries</I>

This is not military disinformation, which as you said, has always been going on. This is fake news to sway public opinion... It reminds me of the whole Israeli / Palestinian news problem.

12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

The Pentagon is developing plans to provide news items, possibly even false ones, to foreign media organizations

I guess this is based on their success with providing such news items to the American media organizations.

Or would you believe that they would feed the truth to Americans, but lies to foreigners? With the internet how effective would that be?

To tell you the truth, I don't think it really represents any change from the status quo.

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

You don't do something the wrong way just because everyone else is. At some point, we have to adhere to a higher moral principle or we are just sinking to their level and trouncing upon everything we believe in.

Plus, isn't that like saying, "Well, we really do suck, so we'll tell you lies as a way to convince you we are good even though we aren't." ???

Don't we have to have faith in who we are and that our principles will be embraced? If we are so uncertain of ourselves, why even bother saying anything?

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Your parents never used that one treeman?

My point was that just because other countries are doing doesn't mean that we should resort to their level. For one thing, I don't think it will work, and will ultimately backfire in causing more and more people to hate us, especially those in "friendly" countries. I'm thinking that those who are already unfriendly to us aren't going to change their minds anytime soon.

15. treeman

treeman Member

Major:

And I said, 99% of the time, we can.

Well, I think you're reading too much into it, and conveniently ignoring the "possibly" part. 99% of it should be accurate, because the truth is on our side. It is usually not that hard to counter/expose a false news item or message if the facts don't support it...

I suspect that if they actually do intend to put forth false news items, they will be very, very careful about it, and I would expect such activity to be very rare. It's just damn near impossible to get away with in the age of modern communications, and with armies of nosy reporters crawling around every crack and crevice of the planet.

You're reading too much into it.

16. treeman

treeman Member

One more minor point:

As it already is, pretty much all of the world already thinks that every news clip that comes from an American source is already false, so if anything, I wouldn't expect this to be too effective regardless of whether or not the particular news item is true or not.

Conspiracy theories are very popular in many corners (aren't they, glynch?). They already think it's false anyway...

The main goal of this organization should be to work harder on actually getting the truth out there, and working on the credibility of the source, as that is the real problem. If it does not do that, then it will not be effective.

And if it actually does start putting out false news clips like there's no tomorrow (as everyone here appears to think), then I will join you all in s*itting upon it. I will reserve judgment on it, though, until we see what it actually does.

Why is everyone here always so quick to assume the worst about American intentions and activities in wartime? It really baffles me...

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

To me, treeman, one time is too many times. I don't care if they use this strategy sparingly or all the time, I don't think they should do it at all.

18. treeman

treeman Member

Well, I admire your moral fortitude, Rm95. Glad you're not calling the shots in this war. ;)

19. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

Wow, I couldn't have said it better myself. We act as the watchdog of the world with our sense of moral and social superiority, yet if the truth does not set us free then what makes us any better than these regimes.

What makes the US strong is that the power rests in the hands of the people and that there is a system of checks and balances. The freedom of speech is there to criticize the government and promote any change for the better or worse, because the will of the people is what rules supreme.

Yet if we get into the business, and i'm not naive enough to believe it hasn't been going on for decades, we lose our own
    principles. And if we don't stand for truth and justice then we are doing a disservice to our forefathers who fled those same sort of regimes and created America.

20. haven

haven Member

We're already considered the modern perfidious Albion... now we're confirming the truth of such allegations!

Let it never be said again: "no, we're the honest ones... they're the liars."