1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Offical] Astros vs. Red Sox ALCS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 10, 2018.

1. fiersdownbelow

A.J. Hinch is a cuck.

lw17 and RasaqBoi like this.
  2. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

That's fair to say.

3. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Is it really an excuse to say some of our top guys were playing hurt? Like Altuve, Correa, McCullers, Morton etc.

'18 Boston is a great team for sure though. But I can't help but feel if at least Altuve and CC were in good shape, it's a different series with a different offense.

4. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Good excuse. Mvp guy out.

But again I’ll blame Hinch on these rotations. We played to chill and Cora played to die.

lw17, WhoDatStrosfan and htwnbandit like this.
  5. daherro^_^

daherro^_^ Member

All the cards just fell perfectly for Boston. You always need luck if you want to win something. We were absolutely banged up and will be back stronger next year. Bregman will be MVP next year.

Surfguy, BigM, ApolloRLB and 3 others like this.
  6. daherro^_^

daherro^_^ Member

Anyone at the game tonight know what Springer’s walk up song was? **** was a banger

7. Mashing

Mashing Member

I take umbrage with the people bagging on Bregman. He was better than JD and Betts in this series offensively (defensively it's probably a wash with Betts--the both made incredible plays). Betts was just bad on offense.

RocketJedi likes this.
  8. Malaya

Malaya Member

It was the new guys (not part of championship team last year) that suddenly struggled this series-- Cole, Maldy, Osuna, Pressly, Smith. We relied on them in the regular season and they were outstanding. Then across the board they played out of form. If they had performed the same way as they played before Oct, we would have a different result.

Playoff experience. You have to taste defeat before you can win. Core of the Astros tasted defeat in 2015 which made them stronger in 2017. These will make our new guys hungry and more ready for next year. Watch them bounce back stronger.

9. HTM

HTM Member

Yea, I never want to see Maldanado again.

10. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I’m so shocked.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Exactly, that gives me some hope for some of these guys.

If you remember the 'Stros struggled before that championship run the year you mentioned. I don't remember the EXACT details and plays because F it it was awhile ago but that Royals series I remember so many blunders and 'choke' plays.

I think some of these players, Cole, Pressly, Osuna, maybe they just needed this experience to handle these high pressure situations better. At least I sure hope so.

I mean we beat up on the Red Sox just last year. The Stros were a bit cocky this year too, maybe this will remind them to stay humble and hungry.

When the 2019 season starts I'll be just as optimistic as this season.

CrushCity likes this.
  12. lw17

lw17 Member

LMAO........The guy just looks so detached. I love watching Mike D Antoni because he yells and tries inspiring some of the Rox. Shows some emotion, and losing bothers him. I'm on the fence about Hinch.

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Umpiring is another excuse.

The self-inflected defensive wounds were another killer.

Then...... Bradley and Devers. LMAO.

Boston is great, but they got nearly every break.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Baseball happened. This isn’t complicated. We were inches away from multiple more favorable outcomes. Last year those fell for us, this year they didn’t. We could play another 7 game series with Boston using the same teams and win 4 in a row. It’s just the nature of the sport. The beautiful thing about the Astros is that they are built to be competitive for multiple seasons. We will be right back in the postseason next year and hopefully some things fall our way. Our foundational pieces are fantastic.

Houstunna, Hey Now!, Surfguy and 3 others like this.
  15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

No team has repeated this century for a reason, it's extremely hard to do.

The natural randomness of baseball, combined with injuries to 2 of our 3 best players, and a really damn good Boston team. I'm certainly disappointed, but if you are up in arms feeling like this is some inexcusable disaster, you really don't know much about baseball.

They beat us, the call on the HR is certainly aggravating, but we still had plenty of chances. Baseball is a sport of lucky breaks, sometimes you get more, sometimes the opponent does.

conquistador#11, jim1961 and Marteen like this.
  16. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I still can’t believe we lost 3 straight at home.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Great season. 103 wins. Sucks that we came up short in the ALCS, of course. I'll be looking forward to see what moves they make in the offseason, and I'll be pumped for Opening Day!!!

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I said this last year; I'll repeat it again this year because it's important: When you're good, 70-75% of the baseball you play is against inferior opponents. Alex Bregman is better than 70-75%(+) of the pitchers he faces; Dallas Keuchel is better than 70-75% of the hitters he faces, etc. That's not to minimize any accomplishments; it's just a fact.

In the playoffs, that advantage evaporates, more and more the further you go. And players who, over the course of a long season, are better than most, can find themselves upside down - they get exposed a little bit. That's why these series often come down down to lucky bounces, an inch here, an inch there, unsung heroes, health, bad calls, etc. These tiny margins of error can loom larger because, talent-wise, the playing field is significantly evened.

I didn't think the Astros were a better team than the Dodgers last year; they just got more of those aforementioned breaks. And I don't think the Red Sox are a better team than the Astros this year; they just got more of the breaks, too.

19. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

No touching...
    Check out @Cut4’s Tweet:

esketit and conquistador#11 like this.
  20. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I really hope Milwaukee makes it and beats the Red Sox. Dodgers fans at the office have me wanting to throw them out of the window today. They should win a championship in my lifetime first before talking