1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Offical] Astros vs. Red Sox ALCS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 10, 2018.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

some pretty high standards you have. they just beat the defending champs 4 times in a row including all 3 at home.

2. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

How would sign stealing work with no one on base?

3. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

This team is built for the next two years, unless ownership starts throwing out Yanks/Sox/Dodger money at eating bad contracts for prospects and signing elite FAs then we're done by 2020.

Its stupid hard to be a 00s Cardinals or 90s Braves and pull prospects out of your ass for 15 years.

WhoDatStrosfan likes this.
  4. Biggio Was His Name-O

Maybe I am wrong but these dudes are hyper competitive, did you see JV arguing with Hinch to stay in? I just find it hard to believe that these guys are thinking oh well we won last year. At least I hope not.

lw17 likes this.
  5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Better team won. Moving on...

6. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

We'll see. I've been impressed how they have built a champion and back to back 100 plus winning seasons. The organization looks like they will do what it takes to keep this team in contention now that the rebuild is over and be smart about it too.

plates300 and WhoDatStrosfan like this.
  7. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I'm sorry we weren't healthier coming in to the series.

8. Stros66

Stros66 Member

JBJ MVP, who bat 238 great pitching Astros.

everyday eddie likes this.
  9. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Never been more confident in a Houston sports team going forward.

We'll be back. Great motivation for next season.

10. conquistador#11

I'll always remember that fan video from the 2017 world series shot by doyers fan. Lady and kid were tearing up as the last out was recorded, another doyers fan walked by singing, 'the sun will come out tomorrow'. the sun will indeed come out. Puig, lick all the bats you want. Beat Boston.

11. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

True it felt like playing the Warriors in way such that when we had the lead it felt like we were just barely hanging on.

WhoDatStrosfan likes this.
  12. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Honestly, I'm not even mad. This team ran into an absolute buzzsaw of whatever the hell you want to call it.

Best bullpen in the AL? Cant find the strike zone to save their lives.

Outstanding defensive catcher behind the plate? Cant catch easy pitches at the worst possible time.

One of the most consistent hitters in baseball is hobbled by a knee injury and the best hitting Shortstop in the league cant find his swing.

Your team's MVP this year has a .731 OBP in the postseason after 6 games so they move him up to lead off and he cant buy a base after that.

That doesnt even include the insane "fan interference" call, the horrendous ball call that led to a HR on the next pitch, or the fact that Jackie Bradley Jr. had 2 home runs and only 5 RBIs since September 1st, but then exploded for 9 RBIs in three games this series.

Its baffling how this world works.

13. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

I do not think they were thinking that. All I'm saying that it's hard to naturally be as hungry for a championship when you just won one.

14. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

This has nothing to do with hunger. This has everything to do with the combination of the Red Sox being really good and the Astros being really banged up.

everyday eddie and Malaya like this.
  15. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

It would be awesome to repeat as champion but it is impossible to win every year. It happens.

Marteen likes this.
  16. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Didn’t like the Red Sox matchup. Put me in the camp that thought Cora’s defection was an overlooked loss. Felt like he was the glue guy when things got rocky. Apparently he’s a mind games guy too with the oddly timed accusations and suspicions. He knows our hitters’ and starting rotation’s tendencies firsthand. Plus Cora’s a good manager.

At the same time, Altuve was playing games when he was hurt enough to be on the DL. Correa has been playing at 80% since the midway point of the regular season. The umpires sucked in crucial moments that impacted multiple games in the ALCS. The stars were not aligned this year.

The core needs to get healthy. The Astros have a great team with an abundance of quality prospects and a great GM. Can’t wait to get back to it.

lw17 and everyday eddie like this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was good while it lasted but that was it. This seasons been bittersweet. Many expected the Stros to have a World Series let down but they came back stronger. When Altuve and Correa were hurt and the Stros were getting swept by the Mariners many thought it was over. The Stros fought back but just couldn’t close the deal at the end.

18. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Damn this hurts. Go Brewers.

lw17, everyday eddie and kaleidosky like this.
  19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Correa better have a great season next year...OR ELSE!!! o_O

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I don't feel Boston dominated. A few balls falling three or four inches in another direction and we are only down 2-3. I felt Boston got every break. Kimbrel almost gave up 3 or 4 HR s.