1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Odds Yordan Alvarez gets called up in June?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CinematicFusion, May 16, 2019.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

40-man isn't an issue. They can just move McCullers to the 60-day or (finally) DFA AJ Reed. Right now, I think they might send Mayfield down on Friday and bring Alvarez up...at least if they're comfortable enough with Straw playing SS.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Straw is scheduled to start at SS today.

No Worries and leroy like this.
  3. vince

vince Member

Geesh, what happened to Reed? The guy was raking the first 2 season in the Astros organization! Now his numbers are blah.... Can’t some guys figure it out, that being in shape improves their chances of making a name in the Big Leagues!

Reed and White were on the cusp of making it as regulars, beating the odds, but neither seems to put the work as to get in better shape.

Seeing Alvarez at DH is going to be a welcomed sight! I figure he is darting up the prospect list, he’d have to be in the top 20 by now; if he was a better defender he’d be in the top 10 without a doubt.

Htown Legend likes this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Every team ends up with more Reed's/White's than they do with prospects who stick.

It is frustrating that most of the non highly-drafted position players who've bene promoted thus far haven't panned out... but you still have to acknowledge the value of acquisitions such as Marisnick, Chrinos, Brantley, even Reddick. Sometimes you do have to pay or trade to get players... but when you get max value for their contracts, its just as important as developing somebody who's home-grown.

There's also still a glimmer of hope left for Fisher/Kemp... the "Cardinal way" still can happen.

everyday eddie and snowconeman22 like this.
  5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

That is why they need to trade these prospects when they are hot. There are a lot depreciating assets.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

You very well may trade the Jose Altuve's and George Springers with that mindset.

Luhnow's team is spectacular, but they aren't omniscient. They don't know for sure when a prospect will stick.

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

what you see is what you get with kemp. i'd have lumped fisher in with white and reed before this stint. hopefully he's building trade value right now.

as an aside on reed, yes he's failed miserably in every chance he's gotten, but always felt like white has gotten way more rope than him, likely for immediately (briefly) playing well upon his first couple callups. guess that's how the cookie crumbles.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I don't think Altuve was ever considered a super prospect due to his size, but he just kept hitting. There will always be prospects. Baseball isn't like basketball or even football, having mike trout isn't going to make you a winner. The astros maybe have 2-3 year window right now so it doesn't make sense to hoard prospects.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't think they were all too happy on how Reed handled himself, professionally, on his first stint... and it only got worse on subsequent call-ups. People forget he was every bit the super-2 delayed, "hot prospect" type callup that Alvarez is and Tucker was.

At least Fisher possesses a skill (speed) that can be valuable in post-season games. Being a lefty bat also gives him a possible PH-role. Kemp has versatility... while not at a super-sub level, he's not going to embarrass you out there or look as if he doesn't belong on a big league roster. While he may not play all his initial years with Houston, I can see him easily carving out an 8-10 year career with a multitude of teams.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  10. cardpire

cardpire Member

agreed. wasn't a knock on kemp. definitely has a role in the bigs...just don't think there's any degree of hidden upside still to be untapped.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Reed has never hit MLB pitching as well as White has this year. This is White's worst year.

No Worries likes this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

How close are Diaz and Altuve? If they are close then Mayfield and White are gone for them. Alvarez or Tucker would have to be for Fisher, Kemp or Straw. If they keep stroking I don't think we see Alvarez until a trade is made. I really don't think they want to give up Kemp for nothing.

13. leroy

https://www.mlb.com/news/jose-altuve-george-springer-and-aledmys-diaz-to-get-rehab-assignments

Summary...

Altuve took BP the last 2 days and has showed signs that his leg is stronger and took infield practice. Ran on Monday and will again today. Will go on rehab assignement. Sounds like he'll be back in 1-2 weeks.

Diaz took infield practice and BP yesterday. Ran on Monday. Will go on rehab assignment.

Springer ran (sprinted) on Monday and will take BP today. Will go on rehab assignment.

McHugh has been playing catch but not yet throwing off a mound. Possible he'll do it before they leave Seattle or when they get home on Friday.

Stassi went to West Palm Beach and will catch Joe Smith's live BP session this weekend.

King1 likes this.
  14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Is ita given that Stubbs goes down when Stasi is ready?

15. leroy

Considering Stubbs has options and Stassi doesn't...yeah, I'd think so.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

While Reed was a hot prospect, I don't recall Reed quite being as highly valued as Tucker. If Tucker is a bust, he will be the biggest bust under Luhnow. Bigger than Appel and Aiken, IMO, as he added a lot of expected value in upper levels of the minors. Reed is probably the biggest bust so far depending on how you value picks vs. AAA success. Martes may pass him, but Martes still has a glimmer of hope.

17. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Springer already going on rehab? Wasn’t his injury going to take 4-6 weeks or am I misremembering

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Supposedly it wasn’t as bad as initially thought. That being said, hamstrings are almost always tricky to get over.

mikol13 likes this.
  19. T for 3

T for 3 Member

How is Appel not the biggest? Number one overall, who was taken instead of Kris Bryant?! The guy didn't even have success at the minor league level, did he?

20. leroy

Not already. He will when he's ready to. He self-proclaimed to be at 90%. BP and running today will likely determine when. I'd bet he doesn't go on one until next week. Could be a huge couple of days for Round Rock...possibly having Altuve and Springer in the lineup at the same time.