1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama's lame duck State of the Union Speech: will anyone watch or care?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jan 18, 2015.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Tuesday is Obama's speech. The people of America have already had their referendum on Obama's performance, and that resulted in massive House and Senate gains for the republicans. So this will be a lame duck speech.

Not sure what all he'll talk about, but I'm sure it will have a healthy dose of class warfare (1%ers are BAD!! Let's punish those job creators!) / income redistribution, some plays on emotion (some illegal immigrants on display for sympathy points), and probably a touch of campaigning for Hillary. Yawn.

Discuss.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Isn't his approval rating getting higher and higher? Definitely higher than Bush II at this stage of their respective presidencies? Bush at this exact same point of their respective presidencies was at 37% while Obama currently is at 46%. Obviously the American public has a drastically different perception of Obama's presidency than you do. 46% is actually quite high in today's age of 24/7 news cycles where a "latte salute" warrants as much criticism as blundering on a war with false pretense. What's your explanation Texxx? Let me guess... Dem minorities receiving dem free obama phones?

#2 fchowd0311, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you mean the referendums in 2008 and 2012, when President Obama won more votes than any candidate in American history, or the 2014 election in which the fewest Americans since the Great Depression bothered to vote at all?

4. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Civil rights have advanced a generation, meaningful healthcare reform was finally delivered, the surveillance state has been exposed for what it is.

Warren has picked up quote a following because income distribution has once again become a key issue. The rotten banking-political handshake has been exposed for what it is.

Perfect grooming for a less than acceptable Hillary, who is, as we must remember, only the lesser of two evils.

I think, all in all, liberals are quite content on what was achieved, and still discontent enough to push on what matters. The perfect mix to take America where she needs to go.

5. bigtexxx

Oh wait, I thought civil rights hadn't advanced -- that's what the people of Ferguson and Al Sharpton told me.

Meaningful healthcare reform? HA! More like a pitiful, half-baked compromise that required extraordinary congressional actions to ram through on a straight party vote.

1 person likes this.
  6. Northside Storm

36 states now allow for same-sex marriage, and soon it may well be 50 + 1, and a constitutional right given the Supreme Court's latest move.

America is a slow dinosaur when it comes to complex policy initiatives. That that much was done is already a sign of progress, and a need to keep pushing: again, the perfect mix to advance America to where she needs to be.

7. bigtexxx

hahahaha follow the bouncing ball of Northside Storm's logic! When pushed into a corner, bring up gay marriage! Pretty sure Obama doesn't control the Supreme Court, either, champ. Not sure if that point made it into the Canadian education curriculum...

8. Northside Storm

Pretty sure he appointed two of justices that have been instrumental in Windsor v. United States, including Kagan who absolutely NAILED Clement on animus in Congress.

Thanks to Kagan bringing up that point--

and he was right.

http://columbialawreview.org/windsor-animus_pollvogt/

Pretty sure he also appointed the heads of executive agencies who ensured the smoothest transition possible, and that there is a correlation between his support for same-sex marriage, and the nation's.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/169640/sex-marriage-support-reaches-new-high.aspx

I'm sorry that you tried to take a generational victory for civil rights and use it to smear Obama's presidency. Just so we're clear, this is what I'm talking about. If you want to dispute these facts, feel free to be on-topic and do so.

9. bigtexxx

*giggles*

why are you even talking about gay marriage? Because you lost your way on the topic at hand?

10. Northside Storm

We are talking about gay marriage because that's what I define as a civil rights victory, a huge plus for the Obama Admin, and you're unable to deny that. You're the one who derailed your own thread. I've made my views on what this "lame-duck" SOTU means for change in America quite clear: "the perfect grooming for Hillary, the perfect mix for liberals", and highlighted what factors have led to that situation. That you have bones for one of them and not the other is a bit out of my control.

We could talk about the two massive failings of the Obama Admin.: the continuance of the surveillance state and the failure of meaningful bank reform I highlighted. But I don't think you'd be an interesting person to talk with when it comes to those two, and that's confirmed by the fact that you didn't even pick up on those threads (I find them much more interesting, and I eagerly await to see if Obama's "lame duck" status still enables him to get things done with those two issues.)

1 person likes this.
  11. Northside Storm

I also wanted to rebump this thread, because I wanted to wait until great ratings came in on this SOTU--given your history of stock market, inflation, and oil market predictions, I'm betting on the "texxx not right" side. ;)

12. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I will certainly watch in the hope that Obama endorses natural gas and oil exports. This would be another strong counter to the Republicans supposed pro-business orientation. However, I suspect it is too hotly an issue for even the neoliberals to address.

13. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Chances are fewer people than last year will watch it.

14. Northside Storm

Probably, but it'd be hilarious if not.

In any case the question will anyone watch or care? leaves a lot of room to play with :)

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

16. Remii

Remii Member

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I checked the schedule and there isn't a Rockets game that night, so hell yes! Thanks for reminding me of the occasion, texxx.

18. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

[​IMG]

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the SOTU has always been a hideous spectacle that reeks of royalty and privilege (perhaps the only thing that tops it is the White House Correspondent's Dinner)

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/396566/presidents-speech-charles-c-w-cooke

20. rudan

rudan Member

More than likely he will not quit being a douche bag during the state of the union. Will now watch :(