1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obamacare Status Report

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Jan 23, 2014.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

This 2.5 million equivalent jobs lost is going to hurt come midterm elections. Used to, Obama and Sebelius could just say, "oh we had website failures"....now we're seeing that the program itself is horribly flawed. Something most of us saw long ago, but this will be convincing evidence for all but the most hardened of the "because Obama drones".

2. bucket

bucket Member

Reading comprehension fail; try harder.

That study you're referring to says the change comes from the labor supply side. This is Econ 101 stuff. Workers are better off and are free to substitute some liesure for consumption.

3. bigtexxx

Ignorant comment.

These workers now have an incentive to work less (healthcare incentive). That was not the objective of the healthcare plan.

Some of the "because Obama drones" will try to spin anything, even the loss of 2.5 million equivalent jobs.

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I find it hard to believe that there will be a large number of people who will stop working in order to receive free or discounted healthcare. As if healthcare is the only neccesity that having a job provides.

5. SacTown

SacTown Member

The fact that healthcare is provided at all through an employer is where the problem begins.

6. bigtexxx

so you know more about it than the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office?

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. Major

Major Member

You got it backwards - they won't be leaving because of free healthcare. They'll be leaving because they no longer need the job to get healthcare. There are a LOT (apparently, about 2.5 million) people who only take jobs because they or a family member need insurance and are otherwise uninsurable in the individual market (due to cost or outright rejection). Those people don't want or need jobs otherwise and now have the freedom to do whatever it is they want to do - whether that's retiring or starting their own business or whatever else. This has been a very real problem with group vs individual care for a long time and is one of the biggest reasons conservatives used to be against employer-based health care until it became politically inconvenient.

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I don't. I know people making over 200k who couldn't retire because they couldn't get insurance otherwise. If you have cancer or heart disease good luck getting coverage. Insurance companies are not in the business of losing money.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You know multiple people making over 200K a year, who want to retire, are under 65, and have tried (but cannot purchase) insurance due to heart disease?

[​IMG]

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

My income is the total spending which will be r****ded by an equivalent loss of 2.5 million jobs. Tax revenues will be lost for paying back the massive deficits we are building up.

These jobs people are dumping might easily be outsourced, not raising wages as high as expected.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I know of two such cases.

13. Major

Major Member

Take out the 200k per year and change the illness and my mom fits this. My dad's worked the last few years despite being eligible for retirement because my mom couldn't get coverage otherwise. People often point to the high-risk pools but they have other issues/complications.

Have you considered that if someone leaves a job, the company would hire someone else to fill it? :confused: And that some of those 2.5 million people that leave will go do other productive things like start businesses?

Here's an article from September:

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-seek-relief-new-health-exchanges-f8C11277058

As millions of Americans wait to see how the federal health exchanges shake out, some who’ve been hanging onto their jobs just for the insurance say Obamacare gives them a new reason to bid their old employers goodbye.

One Arizona couple, Claudia and Joseph Schulz, just quit their jobs, in fact, and launched a husband-and-wife real estate team, largely because they can sign up this week for health insurance not tethered to any position.

“That was the fear before. We felt too much on our own,” says Claudia Schulz, 33, of Phoenix. “Now, if we’re able to make our dream come true of owning our own business, or at least giving it a shot, it’s worth it.”

Starting a business or retiring early will suddenly become an option under the new exchanges, experts say, especially for the many employees who have felt trapped by so-called “job lock” -- being stuck in a position because of the benefits, usually health insurance, it provides.

“The Affordable Care Act completely changes the playing field,” says Paul Fronstin, director of the health research programs at the Employee Benefit Research Institute. “You don’t need your employer any more for health benefits.”

It may be particularly attractive for older workers -- those in their late 50s and early 60s still too young for Medicare -- who will find they can get affordable insurance despite health problems. That will free them from the trap of needing to work, but being too sick to stay on the job, experts say.

Entrepreneurs of all ages will be able to choose careers “based on the job where they’re going to be most productive,” says Laurel Lucia, a policy analyst at the Center for Labor Research and Education at the University of California, Berkeley.

This isn't new, crazy stuff. It's been known for a long time and, again, has been a cornerstone of conservative thoughts on health care until it's become politically inconvenient and they now have to oppose it because of Obama.

14. bigtexxx

now the liberals are trotting out anecdotes. yikes...

spin, spin, spin!

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm cool with it. A big policy change like this is bound to create some big shifts. I know conservatives fear change and all, but everything's going to be okay.

16. bigtexxx

5,000,000 Americans lose their healthcare after Obama lied they could keep it if they liked it

2,500,000 equivalent jobs lost

great work

17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I'm in my early 30's and had a good group plan with my prior employer. I went to all the check ups and was diagnosed with high cholesterol. All the doctors said I didn't need any medication and just need a lifestyle improvement over the next decade bc I'm still young and everything else checked out fine.

Never took meds; never went to the doctor other than checkups which ended up recommending that I exercise more.

After I left my job and moved back to Texas for my business, I applied to several insurers. I got rejected everywhere...and I work in insurance, smh. If I never went to the doctors and had 0 checkups, it would have been easier for me to get insurance. I was being punished for potential down-the-line cost.

So for a couple of years, I paid for high risk pool coverage...$500 per month, smh. I never used it. Only did it in case of emergency, like hospitalization, bc I didn't want to lose all my assets over something silly like appendicitis.

Now, I'm in a group plan (started pre Obamacare) and it's great again. If my situation changes, at least Obamacare shouldn't be $500 a month. FU health insurance companies. I've paid in over $12,000 into your system and received 0 in services other than routine checkups, that ended up in me paying more $$$ into your system. Since then, I've had clients who went from group care to contract work (more $$$) who ended up in the same situation as me. Nowadays, it's better for people like me. I don't know how effective this will be in the long run for the country, but I freaken hated the system before.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Wow, you really don't understand this do you?

Go back and read the thread, it is not jobs being lost due to lack of demand -> it is a voluntary reduction in supply of # of hours worked. A job being "lost" is when demand causes it to disappear.

If we're at a situation with somewhat less than full employment when theat happens, and demand for that job is the same, somebody will either fill the gap, or somebody will presumably work fewer hours and demand higher wages- it will have no effect on tax revenues for the "massive deficits we are building up" (by which I mean you presumably mean the "massive deficits that have been shrinking substantially since FY 2009").

Flailing about and making a vauge allusion to outsourcing is silly - you're presuming here that supply is what drives demand. It's not, and never was. Unless of course, you're going hardcore Say's law on us here - which makes you a fool.

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

#119 solid, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank goodness one person on this board understood the CBO report and the work reduction. Nobody will lose their job unless they were only holding on to keep health insurance. Now if they want to be stay at home parents and work part time they can keep their insurance. That's where the reduction in work hours will be. It won't be from people getting fired.

Why didn't people really read the CBO report, or at least double check what they thought it said?

Texxx is just trolling and doesn't really care that he's completely wrong about the facts. I'm not sure about the others.

#120 FranchiseBlade, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014