1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obamacare Status Report

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Jan 23, 2014.

1. SacTown

SacTown Member

WOW. And this is where the problem starts. Doctors and Hospitals ripping people off.

2. SacTown

SacTown Member

Well I tried to sign myself and my wife up tonight. I went in with an open mind. Just some background, we don't have insurance at the moment, both self employed & I'm an Obama supporter (not that it matters but just to show I'm having an open mind about it and not attacking the program). Up to this point whenever we needed medical we just paid cash. We always negotiated very good deals with doctors/hospitals by paying cash. Neither of us smoke, have any health problems or are on any prescription drugs at all. We get yearly check ups and pay cash and that's about it. Both young, but over 25. The only thing we would need insurace for is if something catastrophic happend or if we decided to have a child. Other than that we don't need doctors or prescription drugs.

I made it through the process, it actually wasn't too bad. As a programmer I could have designed it better but all in all not too bad and then at the end it said the systems were down and couldn't verify us. Then later I got 5 emails from healthcare.gov saying the same thing. Then an hour later I got an email saying the system is back up. So I logged back in and after another 30 min sort of re verifying everything and resaving, it went through and the options were presented. Most all from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida.

**** edit it appears the site is acting up, I was only presented with 3 plans, all from Florida Blue, cheapest was $707, then the site froze and now I can't do anything. I'm going to hold off judgement until this is resolved because something isn't right ******

#62 SacTown, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  3. SacTown

SacTown Member

Mc Mark have you actually used the healthcare.gov website? Did you sign up through it? If so, were you presented with reasonable premiums? Or does your employer pay for your medical?

4. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Did you go through healthcare.gov?

I just went to the site, put in a family of 2 25 year olds in Florida (I chose Broward County) making 100,000 a year, and was presented with plans as low as $165 a month for a $12,500 deductible. The amount you are being quoted sounds quite a bit too high.

5. SacTown

SacTown Member

Yeah, I'm using healthcare.gov. Miami-Dade county not that it should matter... I was also only presented with 3 options. One for 865, 790, and 707.00

How did you go through the process of putting in dummy data? Doesn't it have to verify your identity, income, etc.? It took me almost an hour to put everything in and it verifed who I was...

6. SacTown

SacTown Member

Are you sure you are doing it right now? If I saw a plan for $165 for both me and my wife, I'd be estatic. I just tried to submit my application again and I'm getting this error. Looks like it's down:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/awesome_scr...236935&Signature=TEK+pS7daauSWSrnpvPdonEbr2Y=

#66 SacTown, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  7. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Some people work for a living while others just vote for a living... think about it.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

LOL.

Trite Facebook quotes are so you.

9. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I just went to the button on the splash page that says "see plans before I apply". It still listed quite a few plans, all much less than $700.

10. giddyup

11. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

My employer pays 100% of my famly's coverage. There's been no change at all. But the law was never meant for people like me.

12. giddyup

When you say there has been no change, do you mean in the premium or the premium arrangement?

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

14. giddyup

The author of the piece "Jeffrey A. Singer practices general surgery in Phoenix and is an adjunct scholar at the Cato Institute."

If you have a discrepancy to cite, cite it by all means, but cease with your usual mud-slinging.

Oh, and I want to add that I'm pretty sure that everything I've ever seen you "represent" here has been posted on FaceBook! Yeah, it's that big....

15. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. SacTown

SacTown Member

So the healthcare.gov site was working well for me today. I was able to successfully enroll in a plan through Human for around $395 per month for both myself and my wife. We also got a decent dental plan for $30 per month.

I'm very happy with the process. It was like a one stop shopping place for all coverage and we were able to compare plans and select the best one for us.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

How did that compare to your previous plan?

Is it subsidized?

18. Major

Major Member

I'm not sure this really tells us anything if its just measuring visits. If someone now comes in earlier when they have a small pain instead of when they are having a heart attack, you may be using less total resources because of the insurance (I have no idea if this was the case in this study).

Ultimately, they need to learn to shift from emergency room to primary care, but for people who've never had insurance before and probably only have experience with emergency rooms, that's something that will hopefully come over time.

19. SacTown

SacTown Member

Previous plan? We didn't have a previous plan, neither of us ever go to the doctor nor are on any prescription medication.

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/05/u...s-estimates-of-health-care-enrollment.html?hp

Interesting article. I don't understand why NYTimes titled the article in that manner, but it seems that ACA will enable workers not to have to keep a full time job if they choose not too. I am guessing this has to do with those people who only keep working a full-time job to be able to afford their health insurance.

Thoughts?