1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obamacare Status Report

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Jan 23, 2014.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Right is probably the wrong word. Justified maybe? The law does say what the claim says it says so a literal translation is correct, justified, whatever word you want to use?

I've read part of the majority opinion thus far.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Plausible? A literal translation is plausible, if you wrench the text out of context and view it in isolation, and ignore contradictory text in other places - but even hardcore textualism doesn't sanction this approach at risk of its own credibility. I'll let Scalia's (stupid) book on originalism make this point:

"fair reading” [of a statute requires] “an ability to comprehend the purpose of the text, which is a vital part of its context”

(of course, as Posner points out, they contradict themselves and all over the place in the book, so what good is this really?)

At the end it doesn't matter - This decision is DOA at the en banc level - then we will have both the 4th Cir. and D.C. Cir. (and the D.Cts) rejecting a silly interpretation of the statute.

The grounds for SCt intervention point will be very tenuous.

#742 SamFisher, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  3. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure we can all celebrate such good news.

1 person likes this.
  4. bongman

bongman Member

I admire your optimism. Even if Obama puts an end to world hunger, wars, poverty, etc, there will still be a lot of naysayers :grin:

5. g1184

g1184 Member

oh noess! costs didn't skyrocket!