1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obamacare Status Report

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Pay the tax, you're out the money without the benefits of insurance
    Get with the program, you're out the money with insurance

And analyse the costs/benefits. Sure your needing healthcare is a pretty rare possibility, but if you did, say fall off a skateboard and hit your head, the debt you would incur, $40K in a heartbeat, would haunt you the rest of your life; or you might not get the treatment you need and be left with a disability, for the rest of your life.

And it might be nice to use your preventive care benefits to get a check-up every year to make sure you are not developing health issues (look at the obituary page, young people die of diseases every day) and establish a baseline to monitor your health throughout your life.

It's just a good logical, practical life choice.

2. VanityHalfBlack

So I filled out the application 3 days ago, apparently there was discrepancies, called in to talk to a representative now they want me to photocopy and mail in my I.D and naturalization information. I guess filling out the application electronically wasn't good enough, lol..

3. VanityHalfBlack

Dubious, dropping the knowledge, gotta educate these young bucks.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Don't do it. Young people don't need health care. You'll be fine.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thank you -- that's actually very important to one of my best friends who could not get insurance before. She's a brain cancer and breast cancer survivor who was paying for what little health care she could get (e.g. check up scans -- hello?) out of pocket, at American ridiculous rates too.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

And this is why ObamaCare has failed so far. Its the liberal ideology of "build it and they will come". Its for the greater good, so one can't resist partaking in this great disaster of legislation.

Should I pay the $95.00 or pay $1500 for the crappy bronze plan. Which by the way, I could find much better insurance than the bronze plan at half the cost before Obamacare.

If a young person couldn't pay for insurance before, its not going to change forcing a tax upon them.

7. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Good read.

8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

love these pro Obamacare arguments

'accept your fate'

'you can't stop it'

'deal with it'

resistance is futile.

You all make this legislation sound like a real winner.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Come on man, you're better than that.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I think the proper response politically is to say to Republicans that if you don't fix things while you're in office, someone else might fix them at some point and you may not like how they get fixed so use your power wisely. ;)

In general though, if you don't like Obamacare let's find ways to improve it or present something clearly better. It's obvious this is a need and it's been a long time coming. If it's better than Obamacare then Democrats, progressives, and liberals will support it.

11. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Exactly! The GOP had 25 years of majority control of congress and never once offered any plan for healthcare reform. ACA is now law. You don't like it? Suggest (responsible, sensible) ways to improve it.

12. mc mark

Taken together, the news for the right is, well, pretty horrible. Enrollment totals are growing steadily; Medicaid is expanding access to millions; the rate of uninsured is dropping; consumers who thought they’d hate the ACA now see the law as a “godsend”; healthcare.gov is stable and passing its security tests “with flying colors”; the insurance industry is cautiously optimistic; and the list of Republican governors who claim to hate “Obamacare” but continue to embrace Medicaid expansion continues to grow.

Heck, Mitch McConnell has even been reduced to running ads touting his efforts to bring health care to people in need.

To the profound disappointment of conservatives everywhere, it appears the scheduled ACA implosion is on indefinite hold.

Don’t call it a comeback

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

#53 bigtexxx, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  14. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

facts? link? source?

anything?

you would have been better off spinning this as a young person who didn't enroll ended up having to go to an ER instead of seeing his doctor.

but, yeah, ER doctors don't "remove themselves" from obamacare as they are ER doctors.

St Barnabas hospital in the Bronx is one of the worst run in the city with wait times of up to 5.5 hours

New York is 46th in the nation in ER wait room times.

Tragic.

#54 across110thstreet, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  15. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...r-wait-bronx-emergency-room-article-1.1591629

Could be that he didn't get his rash checked out earlier because he didn't have insurance, thus waited until the last minute and decided to go to the ER. An 8 hour wait at ER is just ridiculous. Surely, the hospital could be understaffed but it could also be that uninsured patients are using the ER as their primary care. Either way, a sad situation.

16. mc mark

And the good news just keeps coming in...

Republican repeal conundrum gets more complicated by the day

Health insurance enrollments are moving along swimmingly, says Wellpoint, the parent company of Blue Cross and Blue Shield, with plans sold all over the country. In fact, they say, they are well ahead of expectations and think they'll get a million new enrollments this year.

“We are encouraged by the sizable growth opportunities,” said Wellpoint chief executive Joe Swedish in an hour-long conference call with Wall Street analysts and investors.

Though it’s early in analyzing the data from new applications of for coverage, Wellpoint executives said “80 percent were not previously insured by Wellpoint,” executives said on the call this morning.

It’s unclear whether they are newly insured or came from another plan, but executives said they were pleased the company was benefiting from new customers.

More than 80 percent of these new enrollments, Wellpoint says, came through the health insurance exchanges and the large majority of those—two-thirds—were eligible for subsidies. That's a heck of a lot of people having the positive experience of buying affordable health insurance. Win-win. Wellpoint gets a boatload of new paying customers, and most those paying customers get a break on premiums.

Who loses? Republicans who have to face the reality that Obamacare isn't going to collapse and that all these newly insured people are going to get used to having decent, affordable health insurance really fast.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

This sounds like a problem with the current system. Lets not cover people. If they can't pay for insurance just go die. Doctor shortage is a function of the AMA. Plenty of doctors in India. They could make a lot more money here if we just let them come here.

18. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

People aren't paying their bills.

People clearly like the idea of being covered by health insurance, but either can't afford it or are losing their enthusiasm for it when having to actually pay for it. There are a lot of possible arguments to make either way here, so I find it an interesting source for debate:

(1) They can't afford it! We should raise taxes on the wealthy to fund universal healthcare so these people can get the help they need.

(2) They don't want it! See? They shouldn't be forced/coerced into something they don't want.

(3) Too bad! If you can't afford medical insurance, then you shouldn't be insured. Simple as that.

I'm generally liberal, so obviously I'd tend towards 1, but I'm sure there are lots of people that would think 2 or 3... and I can see their point of view, I just disagree with it. I disagree with #2 because those who choose to be uninsured, eventually cost taxpayers more money anyway when they have to inevitably go to the hospital with some acute injury/sickness. I disagree with #3 because I'm not a cold-hearted b*stard and feel healthcare is a human right in a modern, ethical, first world society.

19. mc mark

Doesn't sound like insurers are too worried about those who haven't paid their first premium. Probably will work itself out.

from your article.

Insurers are generally pleased with the payment rates, though they are grousing about having to weed out the deadbeats, said Paul Tiede, an executive vice president at SunGard, which works with insurers on billing. There's been a huge uptick in payments in recent weeks.

"Money is flowing in the door," Tiede said.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I got a pretty good policy through the exchange.

That said, the law needs a lot of work.