1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama Aides Weigh Bid to Tie the G.O.P. to the Tea Party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by OddsOn, Sep 20, 2010.

1. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Further evidence that the NYTimes isn't worty of being used to wipe your arse with....

Is this the best the dems have? Oooooh watch out, its the "Tea Party Candidate"..LOL NEWSFLASH.......the Tea Party is American people standing up for what is wrong in our country.

So when the hippies were smoking pot, calling for free sex, killing babies through abortion and touting anti-american slander against the government and our troops; all of that is ok........but the Tea Party blossoms out of true American grit from working class people who are against big government, over spending and taxation and unsecured borders and they are extremists who need to be deamonized.......LOL so funny to see the true lefty mindest come out and you don't even realize it.

Obama Aides Weigh Bid to Tie the G.O.P. to the Tea Party

WASHINGTON — President Obama’s political advisers, looking for ways to help Democrats and alter the course of the midterm elections in the final weeks, are considering a range of ideas, including national advertisements, to cast the Republican Party as all but taken over by Tea Party extremists, people involved in the discussion said.

White House and Congressional Democratic strategists are trying to energize dispirited Democratic voters over the coming six weeks, in hopes of limiting the party’s losses and keeping control of the House and Senate. The strategists see openings to exploit after a string of Tea Party successes split Republicans in a number of states, culminating last week with developments that scrambled Senate races in Delaware and Alaska.

“We need to get out the message that it’s now really dangerous to re-empower the Republican Party,” said one Democratic strategist who has spoken with White House advisers but requested anonymity to discuss private strategy talks.

Democrats are divided. The party’s House and Senate campaign committees are resistant, not wanting to do anything that smacks of nationalizing the midterm elections when high unemployment and the drop in Mr. Obama’s popularity have made the climate so hostile to Democrats. Endangered Congressional candidates want any available money to go to their localized campaigns.

Late Sunday night, White House advisers denied that a national ad campaign was being planned. “There’s been no discussion of such a thing at the White House” or the Democratic National Committee, said David Axelrod, Mr. Obama’s senior adviser.

Proponents say a national ad campaign, most likely on cable television, would complement those individual campaigns and give Democrats a chance to redefine the stakes. The Democratic strategist said voters did not now see much threat to them from a Republican takeover of Congress, even though some Tea Party-backed candidates and other Republicans have taken positions that many voters consider extreme, like shutting down the government to get their way, privatizing Social Security and Medicare and ending unemployment insurance.

So far, Mr. Obama has largely limited his campaigning to fundraisers and small events. That will change soon as he plays a bigger role to rally the flagging faithful, officials said.

To mobilize younger voters who supported him in 2008, Mr. Obama will hold four big campaign-style rallies, the first Sept. 28 at the University of Wisconsin in Madison, with satellite transmission to campuses in other states. The later rallies will be in Ohio, Philadelphia and Las Vegas. He also will send e-mail and record robocalls to spur voters, and conduct a national “town hall” Webcast in October.

“These events are about activating the Obama grass roots to help organizationally in terms of volunteers” for get-out-the-vote efforts, said Dan Pfeiffer, the White House communications director. “We’re not going to get all the 2008 Obama voters out. We may not get most of them. But in close races, it can be decisive.”

Mr. Obama will also step up his efforts to draw contrasts between the parties, in particular by pounding away on his call for extending the expiring Bush-era tax cuts, except for “millionaires and billionaires.” Republicans want the tax cuts extended for people of all income levels, not just incomes below $200,000 for individuals and $250,000 for families, as the president has proposed.

Republican strategists remain confident of the party’s prospects for big gains in November, even as they acknowledge that they are unlikely to win the Senate race in Delaware after the victory in the Republican primary there of Christine O’Donnell, a Tea Party-backed candidate with a long record of controversial statements, over Representative Michael N. Castle, a moderate and popular former two-term governor.

Also last week, Alaska’s Senate race was upended when Senator Lisa Murkowski, who lost the Republican nomination to a Tea Party adherent, Joe Miller, mounted a write-in candidacy against him, saying, “Alaska is not fair game for outside extremists.”

“While we may have a handful of nominees out of the mainstream, the American people have come to the conclusion this administration and this Congress are out of the mainstream,” said John Weaver, a Republican consultant.

In 1994, Democrats were in power and similarly took hope when Republican primaries yielded candidates deemed too far right for the general election. Yet the wave against Democrats that year was strong enough to carry those newcomers into office and put Republicans in control of Congress for the first time in 40 years.

Except for Ms. O’Donnell in Delaware, Republican nominees that Democrats like to showcase as extremists — including in Senate races in Nevada, Colorado, Kentucky and even blue-state Connecticut — are even with their Democratic rivals in polls or ahead.

And even as the White House maps the final campaign push, advisers are distracted by the expected exit of the chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel, to run for mayor of Chicago. Mr. Emanuel, who as a member of Congress helped engineer the Democratic takeover of the House in 2006, is among his party’s foremost strategists when it comes to Congressional elections.

Peter M. Rouse, one of Mr. Obama’s closest advisers, has assumed additional responsibilities. But Mr. Rouse, who is intensely private, does not want the high-profile job of chief of staff; instead he is helping Mr. Obama vet names. Leading candidates are said to be Thomas E. Donilon, the deputy national security adviser, and Robert Bauer, the White House counsel.

On top of the personnel distractions at the White House, the strategy discussions with Congressional Democrats come after 21 months of legislative and political battles that have strained relations between the two camps.

Democrats on Capitol Hill say that Obama aides, including Mr. Axelrod, and Jim Messina, the deputy chief of staff, do not consult with them enough and are more concerned with positioning Mr. Obama for his 2012 reelection race than with re-electing Democrats now.

At the Democratic National Committee, aides already have started work on a database to link the most controversial statements of the Tea Party-backed candidates to possible Republican presidential aspirants.

The database will point out, for example, that Sarah Palin and Mitt Romney are supporting the Republican candidate for Senate in Nevada, Sharron Angle, who once said that victims of rape should make “what was really a lemon situation into lemonade,” and Ms. O’Donnell, who has said that having women in the service academies “cripples the readiness of our defense.”

The tactic of linking potential Republican rivals to such statements was already in evidence last week. After Ms. O’Donnell’s victory, a party spokesman told reporters, “The fact that Mitt Romney and Sarah Palin would put their name behind a candidate that believes women who serve our country ‘cripple the readiness of our defense’ make them unfit to be commander-in-chief.”

#1 OddsOn, Sep 20, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

what? :confused:

3. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I am also standing up for what our country.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Soylent Green is American people standing up for what our country.

5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It's a Grand Old Tea Party run by Dick Armey, Palin, etc.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

wingnut paranoia at its finest

7. thadeus

Yeah, well you can say 'wingnut' all you want but that just means you don't stand up for what our country!

1 person likes this.
  8. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

You should try some LSD

might give you a new perspective

9. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

do you expect people to take your post seriously after casting liberals as promiscuous pot-smoking babykillers? things aren't so black-and-white. a great man once said, "love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you."

newsflash: everyone here thinks you're a troll. learn a thing or two from the intellectual conservatives on the board (hint: "intellectual" is *not* a dirty word!) and think a bit more before you immediately start slinging pseudo-patriotic turds.

1 person likes this.
  10. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Based on my observations, most of the Tea Party are unthinking shills for rich people. The rest are rich people.

1 person likes this.
  11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm home sick today and this post made me laugh. I now feel better.

The thadeus heals.

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Thanks for making me think of this classic old tale...

[​IMG]

"And I went up there, I said, "Shrink, I want to kill. I mean, I wanna, I
    wanna kill. Kill. I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and
    guts and veins in my teeth. Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill,
    KILL, KILL." And I started jumpin up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL," and
    he started jumpin up and down with me and we was both jumping up and down
    yelling, "KILL, KILL." And the sargent came over, pinned a medal on me,
    sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy."

Didn't feel too good about it."

13. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

You guys should really get out more....I fixed the typo but the crap in the article seemed to escape you as usual.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You didn't even bother to string together a coherent thought in your initial post. I mean we all know you are a fool, but but in this instance it’s difficult to even sort through the jumble of incoherence in your pretend attempt at commentary.

Let’s look at the structure of your post. First you start off with what looks like some sort of ham-fisted attempt to bash the NYT for improper reportage, which would have been about as original as dirt. But then you immediately abandon that and launch into a separate paean to the Tea Party (which implicitly recognizes the accuracy of the Times' story, incidentally) and then couple it with standard invective about pot smoking hippies and them being “deamonized" .

It’s a train wreck that keeps on wrecking. Please learn to devise a thesis, then marshal evidence in support thereof. Your middle school teacher is invariably crying right now, and this is truly sad.

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

lulz

fixed

16. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Given the responses, it didn't seem to escape anyone... :grin:

17. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Oh I read the article and even though the WH has denied any of the allegations, I think it would be a fine idea myself.

BTW the Times has corrected the headlines and quotes. You should really link the corrected article if you value any credibility.

18. thadeus

Yes ... yes they are.

19. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I doubt it will be an effective strategy to attack the Tea Party. The white house has been doing this indirectly already with little to no success. It just doesn't work as a political strategy to call a fairly big portion of Americans racist bigots (I am guessing this will be their strategy because this has been the Democrats game plan so far).

20. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

I'm guessing you meant to say standing 'against' what is wrong or standing for what is 'right'....