1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYPO] Bari Weiss resigns from New York Times, slams Twitter as being their ‘ultimate editor’

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So instead of fighting through it she quits? If you feel you are in the right, why not try to work to change that? Why not write about intolerance of ideas at work as an opinion piece? It just seems very strange to resign and then publish a resignation letter with a lot of smoke but no fire.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I don't understand why you think she needs to prove anything she said. It was a F.U., I quit letter. She peaced out of there with a finger in the air.

3. Nook

Nook Member

On one hand...... if you are a bigot, don't be surprised when people call you a bigot.

On the other hand, there clearly is less room for alternate opinions to be voiced...... everything is either MAGA or WOKE.

I find it hard to believe that there are no longer any moderates........

We also have to stop the constant "outrage" on the left and the "alternate facts" on the right.

No, most Americans are not strict Marxists and there are no "alternate fact"; all of the right wing conspiracy theories are BS and dangerous.

fchowd0311, RayRay10 and Rashmon like this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How do you know she has received hostile reactions in her workplace?

How do you know she is not overreacting?

What about her doing these same things while trying to get teachers fired while in college.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Did we just become best friends?

Reno 911 for the win.

Kim, RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  6. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I just discovered Trailer Park Boys. It's Reno all over again for me.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Have never watched it but there is no way they have that pool of talent.

#87 jiggyfly, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    B@ffled and RayRay10 like this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There's a "normal" for every generation though. Take Blackface, it was cringy and wrong when I grew up but nothing like the reaction of what's happening now where even people doing satire are being cancelled. There are some episodes of popular tv shows in the 90s that were gay or trans unfriendly. Silence of the Lambs is a masterpiece but not sure if they can do Buffalo Bill the same way if there ever was a poorly conceived remake.

This was resolved back then by dialogue or bowing to an unspoken hierarchy (while waiting for the elders to die off). Now neither is accepted and I can see how some Cons are thinking the youngins are cutting the line and breaking common sense.

I personally don't see social justice for historically disadvantaged minorities as part of the "cutting the line". I think it should be addressed now. OTOH, my generational perception doesn't really feel like elevating trans awareness as the "must fix" crisis of our time. Other people may feel differently.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Ironic.... for reasons you will never understand.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Another reason people should know why Bari Weiss is full of **** and is concern trolling about cancel culture is the fact that she was the face of a movent and investigation to try to cancel 2 Columbia proffessors for anti-semtism and the investigation found no grounds to fire them.

Cancel my opponents but how dare you cancel people I like.

Nook and jiggyfly like this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

let's keep trying to character assassinate Bari Weiss!!! BOO BARI WEISS!!!!

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As opposed to character assassinating everybody at the NY Times which is cool?

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How is cancel culture addressing anything?

Why are the woke folks automatically right on how to these things?

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Exactly.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm not sure how you can take right or wrong from that reply. I think the best people can do is discuss it without pretense to try to understand why the other group feels that way.

There's a sudden impatience that results in cancel culture which undercuts that. I'm thinking it's because everyone and their pets now have a platform to find other like minded people to organize so now minorites of all sizes can collectively demand the most. Which is fair but not really the most reasonable result in a discussion or abstract negotiation.

Ofc it works both ways. Extreme and passive voices on the other side are doing the same thing.

All this ignoring and shunning is not helping much in the long run, it just becomes a power grab by mob majorities.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Sorry if I took that wrong, my bad.

We actually agree.

jcf, RayRay10 and Invisible Fan like this.
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

She is making a claim that she was called a racist on Twitter as well as demeaned. Where are these tweets? Everyone is getting so upset on her behalf about her being "bullied" but it's a spurious accusation - one that fits into her narrative. The fact that she claims this was going on with Twitter yet there isn't a single tweet she could point to is a bit eyebrow raising, don't you think?

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You seem quite to take up the cause of Bari Weiss without any evidence of her accusations. Do you hate the NY Times?

RayRay10, Ottomaton and jiggyfly like this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's right. make this thread about me.

[​IMG]

B@ffled and RayRay10 like this.
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Now you're just being an attention Jan.

RayRay10 likes this.