1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYPO] Bari Weiss resigns from New York Times, slams Twitter as being their ‘ultimate editor’

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jul 14, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I still never heard of her, the fact that she was on the NYT editorial board means she has some influence so I don't know what I am supposed to take from this.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://jonathanturley.org/2020/07/...-editor-leaves-under-fire-for-opposing-views/

“A Digital Thunderdome”: Another Times Editor Leaves Under Fire For Opposing Views
    by jonathanturley

[​IMG]

We have been discussing the shocking abandonment of journalistic principles by the New York Times in its recent apology for publishing a column by a United States Senator and forcing out an editor who had the audacity to publish an opposing view of the current protests. The newspaper effectively declared echo-journalism to be its new mission. Now another opinion writer and editor, Bari Weiss, has resigned after what she called an “illiberal environment” where she has been harassed and abused by other reporters without any intervention from the management. In a scathing resignation letter, Weiss called the Times a “Digital Thunderdome.”

In the Cotton controversy, various writers falsely claimed that the senator’s column contained false and unconstitutional statements. Simply the act of publishing the column led to the removal of the editor. Yet, one of those writers recently spread a clearly false conspiracy theory about police with no such outcry.

After the removal of the editor and cringing apology of the newspaper, Weiss said that the environment at the newspaper became openly intolerant and hostile for anyone deemed insufficiently obedient to the new orthodoxy at the newspaper. She wrote in her resignation letter that “showing up for work as a centrist at an American newspaper should not require bravery.” She claims to have been called a “nazi” and “rascist” for holding opposing views: “a new consensus has emerged in the press, but perhaps especially at this paper: that truth isn’t a process of collective discovery, but an orthodoxy already known to an enlightened few whose job is to inform everyone else.”

She said that she is not alone in such treatment under the new order and that “the truth is that intellectual curiosity—let alone risk-taking—is now a liability at The Times.” She stated:
    The last few weeks have seen the rapid acceleration of attack on free speech and the free press. The most chilling aspect of this period is that the attacks has come from universities and the press itself. Faculty and reporters have remained silent as their colleagues have been abused. Many are fearful that they will also be labeled as racist. These attacks have succeeded in chilling speech. Indeed, Weiss describes how management encouraged her in private but remained conspicuously silent in public. She stated “Even now, I am confident that most people at The Times do not hold these views. Yet they are cowed by those who do.” It is an account that is all too familiar for those of us in academia. However, the collapse of the New York Times — long the iconic paper of record in the United States — has been the most chilling development in this glacial period.

I have previously said that the actions of the New York Times on the Cotton column would stand alone in journalistic infamy. It is not surprising that the New York Times has allowed an environment of intolerance and abuse to expand in the vacuum left by by its earlier abandonment of core principles. None of this matters to most readers or reporters. Readers now have a newspaper that will not challenge their assumptions or their positions. Reporters will be allowed to continue to write so long as they do not challenge the orthodoxy of the new order. It is a pattern that we have seen played out repeatedly in history and it has never ended well.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Basically. Americans are more interested in the new Ford Bronco than “whoever that guy Barry Weiss is”

ROXTXIA, RayRay10, Ubiquitin and 2 others like this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I agree that things have gotten out of hand but why the hell would Fang ask that guy, that question?

Read the room dude.

Sometimes there is an overreaction and I hope that it levels out.

#24 jiggyfly, Jul 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

This is an excellent article.

Read and learn @os_trigonum.

Sweet Lou 4 2, RayRay10 and Ubiquitin like this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There are ppl that deny NYT is biased? They ran Hillary email this email that for 500 days straight in 2016. I think it has something to do with either internal bias OR maybe more likely, capitalism.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

As they should be.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So because her fellow employees didn't like her and made fun of her, she quit even though she was still allowed to publish articles? That's not what a hostile workplace means by the way. It means a place where you are consistently discriminated against because of your gender, race, age, etc.

Seems to me this is more opportunistic of her to leave in a dramatic fashion to generate some good PR. Seriously, if your co-workers mock your ideas that's life. It's up to you to garner the respect of your peers.

RayRay10, Ubiquitin and jiggyfly like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Or she got a better job offer.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Supposedly she has a book coming out.

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

The left eats its own

B@ffled likes this.
  12. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Quality comment here folks...

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Bari Weiss slots in alongside people like Tim Pool, Jordan Peterson, Andy Ngo, Milo Yiannopoulos, Dave Rubin, and even Joe Rogan as media figures who should not be nearly as famous as they are (if not famous at all) if not for illiberal or otherwise unscrupulous behavior by large left leaning people or institutions. These people are largely mediocre and unremarkable, but keep getting propelled forward due to this counterweight.

Andre0087, RayRay10 and Ubiquitin like this.
  14. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Contrarians get views and views pay for the newsroom. The internet both liberated and killed journalism.

Craigslist killed 20th century journalism.

21st century journalism is like 19th century. Fly by night sources, hyper partisan, and absolutely no fact checking.

jiggyfly, Nook, mdrowe00 and 2 others like this.
  15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I don't think these people are Contrarians. I don't think they're dishonest or grifters either. I think they're just folks who got a raw deal by some group of liberals and so have been catapulted into fame when for the most part they're just kinda boring unremarkable people. They are living examples of the Streisand effect.

Nook, RayRay10 and Ubiquitin like this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Fang's direct question was cut off, but the tweet said he asked people's feelings about the movement, so I don't think it was a loaded question. The dude who answered it even defended Fang in the article.

jiggyfly, Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw Bari Weiss a few times in Bill Maher. Thought she had good stuff to say and I suspect she’ll be back whenever Maher gets started again. I’m not going to get worked up about this though. She’s an opinion writer and she’s shocked that the Op/Ed page has a bias? I would be more concerned if she was a reporter and the NYT was suppressing her reporting. Even with whatever biases they may have they were still publishing her stories which is much more than many many other writers expect.

RayRay10 and dobro1229 like this.
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Basically a “premium post” if I’ve ever read one.

Andre0087 and RayRay10 like this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hasn’t Milo Yanniopolis admitted he’s essentially a professional troll?

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member