1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Times] Bad by Design, Rockets Gamble on Payoff Later

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Jul 28, 2012.

Tags:
  1. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

I don't think you really say too much bad about the way Houston evaluates talent. Daryl Morey and crew just have never really been in a good position to use their "assets" to bring in the talent. (ie a high lotto pick, or an abundance of cap room)

I think he IS starting to understand how difficult it can be to take a team from mediocrity to great. It's close to impossible. The only way to go from mediocre to great is if you started off at TERRIBLE.

In order to take a team from mediocre to great you have to either a) have your young players develop into all-star caliber players, or b) purge the team and use the high picks and cap room to get what you need.

After choosing "a" for so long, Daryl Morey and co. have finally decided to choose "b". Its really all he's got at this point.

2. albuster

albuster Member

This. Great post.

3. ClKent

ClKent Member

I personally think its a great strategy. Although a little late. Better late than never to me.

Also, so what if those young guys turn into nothing. There is next years draft and a high pick. I really feel there is 1 in 3 chance at least one of Lamb, D-Mo, Jones will turn into something pretty good.

4. LScolaDominates

The Rockets overachieved BECAUSE they had good talent evaluation. When did Scola become "established"? Lowry? Or were you referring to someone else?

5. jocar

jocar Member

Damned NASA, we will never see then end of... "Houston, you have a problem"

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He's not even Guy Pearce, or Paul Pierce. I doubt he's being envisioned as such by anybody who matters.

They're junking their whole team, which includes losing guys like scola, for nothing, to either be in the lotto or get Dwight Howard with no guarantee of re-sign.

But you're thinking that they're not willing gamble enough?

What else do you want them to put on the table, naming rights to the Toyota Center and prima nocte on the RPD's?

7. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Morey needs to stop talking to the media. If our rookies read this article they`lll think `Great, I`m just an asset being prepped for Dwight Howard/Bynum/etc.`

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

True, but so far you can't really argue that the teams taking those risks are contenders. Neither the Knicks, Nets, or Clippers are built to make an extended run through the playoffs. Sure they will make it in, but they aren't better than Boston, Miami, Chicago, OKC, San Antonio, or the Lakers.

If Morey's stated goal is to make us contenders, then he has been right to not give up the farm for Melo, Amare, DWill, or CP3....as crazy as that sounds.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nothing really new but move if necessary.

10. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

With the (roster) situation the Rockets are in (next year's) free agency sure looks like a trap.

I truly believe the Rockets would be better off looking to take on bad contracts with quality picks or players attached to it.

Normally you obviously want to look at all three avenues (draft, FA, trade), but with the situation the Rockets find themselves in (a young, rebuilding team), I really think they should focus solely on the draft and trade.
    Of course you want to stay opportunistic, but I think the Rockets would fool themselves if they think they can attract any kind of elite player in the next one or two years via free agency.

1 person likes this.
  11. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

This all depends how our 4 rookies develop and how well Asik and Lin fit in with rest of the team. And other teams will also be very well set up in a year.