1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nuclear North Korea - missile capable of hitting Wa

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Jan 19, 2017.

1. conquistador#11

Kim is not going to attack. no u.s.a no n.b.a . How will kim spend his days of leisure? Like us the oldies in the garm, watching vhs tapes of 1990s basketball when men were men.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I may be confused... is the instability of a Kim-led North Korea cause for concern that the U.S. needs to grow its military spending, or is Kim and NK's threat from developing their longer range ICBMs "no big deal" ?

3. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Ha! Ok, those are funny! Gotta luv a good office space meme! And this has 2!

4. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Neither, really. Maybe the first one. Again, it isn't the threat of a first strike that is a concern, it is what the threat of having them does to any of our options against N.K. Same reason Iran wants them, fwiw. Simply having them projects power, and changes the dynamics in the area considerably.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It would seem to me that nuclear capability is more important to North Korea for protecting them against a Chinese incursion than an American one. The US was already deterred from invading North Korea by China's nuclear capability. So long as they are a client state in good standing with China, we can't really touch them. However, if they get sideways with China, they're screwed. China still has tools (like cutting off the food aid North Korea gets), but North Korea being able to launch nukes at Chinese cities would make it harder for China to do regime change in North Korea if they ever decided they needed one. Which makes Chinese inaction puzzling to me.

7. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Some people are more interested in posting the latest glib witticism on Twitter than they are any technical articles on the subject of NK's nuclear and missile capabilities. Probably too many "words" and "pictures" for such people.

8. hlcc

hlcc Member

China is responsible for supplying most of North Korea's energy needs & it's financial assistance is helping the country get by. If China cut of support, the North Korean regime will most likely collapse. Some people like to interpret this as China having immense leverage over North Korea. On the other hand, a collapsing North Korea regime would mean unsecured nuclear weapons & nuclear materials just right next door (most of North Korea's nuclear reactors are next to the Chinese border) and an even larger, more desperate & likely armed refugee wave than the current Syria crisis (most of North Korea's major cities are closer to the Chinese border than the South Korea border & the DMZ is heavily mined) . No country in their right state of mind would want something like that happening right next door. There are very real limits to what kind of pressure China can put on North Korea before things backfire, right now a collapsing North Korean regime is a much bigger headache to China than a nuclear armed one.

I think its counterproductive to call the Kim dynasty crazy or irrational. They have been exceptionally brutal, cruel & immoral, but they have acted rationally. After seeing how we brought down or severely weakened Saddam, Qaddafi, Assad, Mohammed Omar etc, it'll be irrational for the Kim dynasty NOT to want to develop nuclear weapons. To them, it's basically the best way to ensure their survival. I'm not trying to say that we are responsible for them wanting to develop nuclear weapons, but it's not exactly a secret that we are openly hostile toward the North Korea regime & toppled dictators & their families don't tend to have happy endings.

I'm not really worried about a nuclear armed North Korea. With their limited capability, their nukes are only useful as deterrents not offensive first strike weapons.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

South Korea has food. North Korea has a very large army. This might not end well.

10. Cohete Rojo

Nuke the bastards.
    Reunify Korea - correct what the Japanese did.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

And the population of Seoul dies in 45 minutes as almost all War projection models predict.

Glad you thought that one through like nobody else has. There are also thousands of US troops right there on the border who will be right in the line of fire. Nice to see folks like you so cavalier with their lives.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

These people are called ... Trump Voters.

13. Cohete Rojo

Kim is like Saddam: despite all the tough talk they never deliver, and in the end they get what they deserve.

14. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

15. WNBA

WNBA Member

seriously, is your IQ larger than 10? I guess anything making sense is puzzling to you.

16. Cohete Rojo

North Korea is now stooping down to CNN's level.

Had me fooled for a minute.

#96 Cohete Rojo, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    B-Bob likes this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

You should be fooled because it's a parody account.

Garbage in, garbage out.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Foolish to said the least.

Kim has delivered on what he said about nuclear and missile.

Saddam doesn't have WMD. Kim does.

Saddam isn't rational. Kim might be brutal, but is quite rational.

Any sign of attack, Kim will unleash whatever he has in an attempt to thaw it. It's his survival after all and he wouldn't mind killing his way to his own death.

19. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

China doesn't want regime change there, or at least they don't want to force it. China is very concerned about millions of N.K. refugees flooding their borders (which, given their perpetual near starvation state, I'm surprised isn't already occurring). Japan, though, I think is a more likely deterrent target. Or just Seoul, which they can reach with just artillery. They have set themselves up to being fairly immune from any military action against them..from anyone, really.

20. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yep!

Yep!

Me either, other than it limiting our options against them. I am worried about them shipping their technology to others, which they have also maintained they have a right to do.

The reality is that it is really hard to prevent someone from acquiring nuclear weapons if they really want them...and even harder to get them to stop once they have them. At some point, you need to plan around how to deal with them afterwards. The only thing I see getting them to stop, is getting China to make them stop---and the only thing I see doing that is Japan getting nukes, or possibly Taiwan (you know China would flip over that). How far are we willing to push China to get them to act?