1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nowitzki-Garnett 1:0

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by AroundTheWorld, Apr 21, 2002.

Tags:
  1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I just watched the Mavs-Wolves game on TV...what a great matchup of Nowitzki vs. Garnett...Garnett rebounded great, but I think Nowitzki is more of a big-game player. I know it was just the first game, but it looks like Garnett will have to wait at least another year to make it past the first round of the playoffs.

Another thing, I am convinced that the Mavs would beat the Kings in the next round. Nowitzki gets better in the playoffs, Webber does not. And although the Kings have a really deep team, I think the Mavs are even deeper.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Nowitzki is money pure and simple. His defense is subpar but he offense makes up for it. Garnett looked lost at times and he still doesn't possess that 'killer instinct' look that many top tier guys have. That 'i'm comin out here to dominate' look.

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

i love the game of Nowitzki. he has ball handling skills any big man want to have. he is a great s point shooter i love his game, Kevin is a great player, i think the second best Forward in the nba.

4. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Who is, in your opinion, the best? If you say Dirk, I'd have a hard time agreeing. Dirk might be the best offensive forward in the game, especially in terms of his versatility. But he is still lacking on the defensive end, and also with his post game. He's great off the dribble, and has a full perimeter game from short, mid to long range. But back to the basket? Not yet.

Look out league.....when Dirk does develop a staple post move, jump hook, or something of the like, he'll be flat out deadly.

5. haven

haven Member

Eh? There's a huge difference between Nowitski and Garnett:

Dirk has far, far less pressure. And the defense can't cue in on him to the same degree. It must be nice playing on the deepest team in basketball...

6. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Garnett disappears in the playoffs like Webber. Garnett needs to take the ball to the freaking rack more.

7. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

It didn't help that KG didn't have loads of help around him. The Wolves were in this game the whole time without Brandon and Jackson. Joe Smith also played few minutes...not sure why.

I think Garnett is still the better player in this matchup. Dirk is a great offensive player, but average defender and rebounder for someone his size.

I predict the Wolves in 5, BTW.

If the Mav's barely beat the Wolves without Brandon, Jackson, and Smith(Most of the game), I don't see them pulling out a whole series.

8. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Or, Dirk could put up 40 ppg on a subpar team? Besides, Minnesota isn't that bad.

Defensively, KG kills Dirk, no question. Offensively, I could give a **** if he had a post game or not; Dirk can score and that's the only thing that matters.

9. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Duncan. But maybe he is more a Center so in that case it would be Garnett.
    Garnett is a great defender, and a great team player. But Dirk is great when the game is on the line. I think Garnett is better now but Nowitzki will be beter next year. Garnett needs to be a factor with the game on the line, and Nowitzki needs to play some more D. But i don't think he is a bad defender, But Garnett is the best defending Forward(if you think Wallace is A Center, and i do). Nowitzki is just such a offensive weapon. he is a great shooter and can do everything. but GArnett also can do everything. But Nowitzki is a better scorer. They are about even i think

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Okay, make that 2:0 :).

11. vj23k

I disagree.

Mavs-Wolves 2:0

Garnett-Dirk 1-1

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Interesting tidbit from ESPN:

Big Names, Big Games
    For just the 5th time since 1975, two opposing players each went for at least 30 points and at least 15 rebounds in the same game. Dirk Nowitzki and Kevin Garnett pulled it off Wednesday night, the second straight playoff season in which Nowitzki has been part of such a game and the first time he was on the winning team. Charles Barkley is the only other player over that span to have been on both sides of such a duel.

Winning/Losing Players Totals

'02 D. Nowitzki 31-15
    K. Garnett 31-18
    '01 T. Duncan 32-20
    D. Nowitzki 42-18
    '96 D. Robinson 40-21
    C. Barkley 30-20
    '94 C. Barkley 34-15
    H. Olajuwon 31-17
    '75 E. Hayes 30-16
    B. McAdoo 34-19

Now if that doesn't tell you what a special player Nowitzki is (by the way, he had 30/15 already in the first game), then I don't really know what would... just look at the other names in that list... :)

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Dirk is awesome. He'll win a championship someday -- my prediction.

haven, you seem to use the 'defense can't cue in on him' argument only when it's convenient.

14. vj23k

No argument, Nowitzki is a very special player. I just think that if KG had that kind of supporting cast, there would be no chance for anyone else to win a title for at least the next 5-6 years.

KG takes a team with Brandon, Billups, Smith, Wally as the main players to the 5th seed.

Think what he could do with Nash, Finley, Lafrentz, Van Exel, Griffin, and Mark Cuban.

15. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

Did you guys see that conversation between Magic Johnson and Danny Ainge after the game?? That was getting intense lol, i thought danny had some good points. If you saw it what did u think of it?

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What did they say?

17. TexasG

TexasG Member

Magic was pretty much ragging on KG. He was saying that KG has to demand the ball during crunch time, and take over the game (KG only took 1 shot in the last 4 minutes of game 1). Magic also said that if KG wants to be included in the same class as Kobe, and McGrady he needs to step up and be more selfish with the ball. Ainge was basically pointing to his numbers (19 points 21 boards in game 1, and 31 points 18 boards in game 2) and saying "what else can he do".

I actually agree with both. On one hand KG does need to be more selfish late in games if he ever wants to get out of the first round. There were times during game 1 where he was one on one with a Dallas defender, and instead of taking them to the hole (which he can) he would pass to a teammate. As I said earlier he also only took 1 shot in the last 4 minutes of game 1.

On the other hand, look at his numbers in both games. It's hard to argue with those numbers. Plus anyone that can make Wally an All Star is doing something right because if Wally was on the Cavs he'd be nothing more than Wesley Persons.

I also agree that if KG were on the Mavs instead of Dirk he would absolutely dominate. Dirk would be great no matter where he played.

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I think Magic know a lot more about winning than little Danny. BTW is Danny still paying Bird for those titles that Larry won for him?

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I don't know how you can say that it is 1-1? Dirk was having an off night shooting the ball but but found a way to get hot in the 4th when KG dissapeared again. What did Magic say during half time? Most NBA players can score in the first three quarters but only the elite can score in the 4th quarter of a play off game.

Something else about KG...he has never won a play off series in 5 tries and this year will be his sixth defeat. Dirk and the Mavs won their first play off series last year against the Jazz before the addition of Nick and Reaf.

The score is definitely 2-0 in Dirks favor.

BTW KG has only scored more than 26 pts in a play off game once...last night. Dirk is avging over 30 a game this year. Give me Dirk over KG.

20. vj23k

See, now this is exactly what haven and I were saying.

First, teams win games, not players. If Garnett was allowed the daylight that Dirk is given, the Wolves would be right up there with the Lakers.

The Mavs played the Jazz didn't they...? This year's Mav's are undeniably better than last year's Jazz.

After seeing Dirk go one-on-one on on a few possessions in a row, John Thompson(I believe) even said something to the effect of, "Why can't Garnett do that."

Any time Garnett touches the ball, any variety of three Mavericks swarm him...and this is a nightly occurence. Almost no one plays Garnett one-on-one.

For the most part, Dirk gets to play one-on-one.

How can I not say that it is 1-1? In the last game KG outrebounded, outblocked, outpassed, and outshot Dirk. Dirk led in one category...steals.