1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now the Brian Gaine Firing Makes Sense...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Hope you're right. Cal seems unusually quiet and meek.

2. Mr. Clutch

Well I mean that I don't think this will team will be that good, and after the next 2 drafts and being in cap hell they'll be bad and need to rebuild. Just my prediction on what's coming. 2022 they'll have a first round pick so they might need to tank in 2021 for the top pick.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Everyone but O'Brien's fault.

It's Rick Smith's fault
    It's Brian Gaine's fault
    It's George Godsey's fault
    This guy's fault, that guy's fault
    Always a scapegoat
    Never the man himself.

"I've always been involved in personnel decisions since the day I walked in, no more no less," O'Brien said. "I've always been involved in personnel decisions every year I've been here."

Major and Mr. Clutch like this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He has manipulated the narrative so well.

If things are going poorly it's the "Personnel guy" fault and we need a new one that is "aligned" with OB. When things are going well we hear about how much they love each other.

if all of these moves work out it will be OB. If they fail it will be because they don't have a GM. LOL

vinsensual, J.R., Major and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mr. Clutch

Yep. If they have a bad year it's because they couldn't get Caserio.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Greater urgency doesn't always equal competence lol.

And didn't we hear all about ALIGNMENT all off-season? O'Brien and Gaine were in alignment. They were in agreement, up until they weren't. I think the disagreement was with Clowney and not with the offensive line. Gaine probably wanted to keep Clowney and O'Brien was done with him. Cal probably had to pick between Clowney and O'Brien and the coach will always win that battle with a non-QB.

WRT the offensive line, I think O'Brien liked the options he was given. Tytus checked all the O'Brien boxes. O'Brien falls falls in love with his senior bowl stand outs. He came out and gushed about him. He also came out and gushed about Kalil. And no he didn't have to. There are other players he didn't name as starters. Cal (probably someone in the org advising) probably stepped in and demanded better. This is not a deal you make so close to the beginning of the season without some power struggle going on. If it was all about Gaine being gone, Tunsil would have been here a couple months ago.

kgw and Mr. Clutch like this.
  7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Gotta GM better

J.R. likes this.
  8. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

Do you guys think they will run it on 1st down? Is that the strat again this year?

9. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I'd say it's about 50/50

10. Mr. Clutch

Yes.

11. Major

Major Member

That may or may not be. But even if he finally is, he's burning down the house right before he leaves it, so it sucks for the next coach. Allowing a coach that's on the hot seat to risk the long-term assets of a franchise is malpractice. Of course the coach will throw away the future to save his job in the present - it's the rational thing to do.

12. payaso

payaso Member

For this season, the moment that Number 4 can't get up after a blind-side hit is the moment RAC should coach out the rest of the year.
    Let's be realistic - unless you're Belichick, your control-oriented jerkness will swing the team in a bad way. Law of averages...

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The next coach is going to inherent Watson, Hopkins, Tunsil, Watt and, as of right now, roughly $100MM in cap space..... The new coach will be fine.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Dabo!!!

15. Major

Major Member

Lots of teams can say they have 4-5 good players and can make cap space. The great ones have deep rosters, generally filled with cheap, good players found through the draft.

For whatever reason with the Texans, you tend to see these things 2-3 years later than other people after you've gone through endless justifications and rationalizations of the franchise's decisions. In a few years, you'll be right here with everyone else realizing how much damage BoB did during his tenure, culminating specifically in this past week.

16. AstrosRockets1818

Sign me up.

coachbadlee and payaso like this.
  17. Hey Now!

Do teams generally release hot seat information?...

McNair may have actively supported hiring Casserio, who does seem very bright and competent. But once that blew up in his face (which, I'm sure, pissed him off), and he decided to forego hiring any GM - well, to me - that certainly makes it easier to clean house, doesn't it? Think about it: the last thing McNair probably wants to do is fire a *second* GM in a 12-month span (which is what he'd have to do if '19 goes into a ditch). That's bad business. So you dump the entire '19 season on BO'B and tell him to sink or swim.

Right. How does any of this 1) contradict what I theorized; 2) lead strictly to O'Brien simply not wanting him?

Right or wrong, I think BO'B decided what Clowney could bring in a trade (LT) was more valuable than Clowney - but, failing any trade, was OK to let Clowney play on the tag. But then they bungled the Miami deal, & it pissed Clowney off and the relationship soured from there.

If you listen to his press conference yesterday, and how BO'B tiptoes around some of the questioning, it seems obvious - to me, nayway - that the dynamics of their relationship and plans for '19 changed very recently.

18. Hey Now!

In!

19. Mr. Clutch

50-60 million of that capspace will go to Deshaun and Tunsil.

Then you still need to fill free agent vacancies at both corners, LB (Mercilus), DL (reader, dunn). Guys like Kelemente, Fuller, Cunningham and Mancz (2021) shortly after that. Guys like martin and seantrel become free agents in 2020 too, and while they arent good, they can be worse. I mean that's your starting RT and C.

And RB and TE are holes too.

So yes we have capspace, but partly because so many guys become free agents, and the ones that are good will get raises.

Usually what teams do is let some guys go to stay under the cap and try to replenish through the draft. That just got a lot tougher.

It just seems like the current regime doesn't think any of that matters.

#39 Mr. Clutch, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    justtxyank likes this.
  20. csj

csj Member

One bit of speculating that the forum has missed the opportunity on, though you're getting close here, is the "what if" where Caserio is traded for accepting New England's terms. Most people recognize that the Clowney and Tunsil trades were costly. Wonder if giving up a first for Caserio pays for itself in a better result now. Of course, we can speculate that the Clowney trade doesn't even happen then, you can literally say anything about roads not taken.

rfrocket likes this.