1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now that the Rockets are officially out of the playoffs...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by count_dough-ku, Apr 13, 2003.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I thought I'd offer up these numbers to those of you who still insist that all this team needs is another year with this same cast of streetballers and clueless coaches to turn things around.

The Rockets have now missed the postseason for four straight years. Here's a list of the teams with equal or longer playoff droughts that Houston can now proudly associate themselves with:

Golden State(9-year drought)
    Denver(8-year drought)
    Memphis(8-year drought)
    LA Clippers(6-year drought)
    Washington(6-year drought)
    Chicago(5-year drought)
    Cleveland(5-year drought)
    Atlanta(4-year drought)

This is how low the Rockets have sunk. They're now in the class of franchises like the Clippers, Cavaliers, and Wizards. And hell, at least some of these teams like Denver and Cleveland have a good excuse for sucking since they've basically thrown in the towel and jumped headfirst into the LeBron James sweepstakes.

So what's my point in all of this? To show that Les Alexander and all of the loyal diehard Rockets fans need to take an objective look at the situation this offseason(which BTW, begins Thursday morning) and decide if this sort of mediocrity is going to be tolerated for yet another year or if we aspire to be among the elite teams in the league and are willing to make the major changes necessary to reach that goal.

P.S. One other thing worth mentioning is that all of the teams listed above have made coaching changes since the beginning of last season. It's time the Rockets joined them.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Play Boki and Maddox major minutes please.

DD

3. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Mobley just said on TV 12 that we dont need to break up the team, everyone loves us! The imagination of some players is playing tricks on them! Also said that there was realy no difference playing under Larry Smith after Rudy T.

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

What's that saying about denial and a river somewhere? Mobley knows his ass is gonna be the first one traded this offseason, so he's just grasping at straws.

5. Yun

Yun Member

My goodness! I cannot tolerated another year like this!

MAJOR Changes must be made!!!

6. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

You can't get much worse than a lottery team with NO lottery pick.

7. Likemike33

Likemike33 Member

Big reason for the Rockets failure, the play of Moochie and Eddie.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is a very derpressing statement.

9. lalala902102001

Cat, Eddie, and Rice are probably the only players on the roster that have some values and maybe tradable. That is not enough value to bring in someone who can really help. The only real change that we can make is a change to the coaching staff or the management.

Let me play devil's advocate here: Let's bring in Jeff Van Gundy to coach and Jerry Krause to run the show (yeah, I am MAD).

10. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

I hope Cuttino reads this when I say that.......

I HATE YOU

and....

#1 ON MY LIST THIS OFFSEASON IS FOR YOUR ASS TO BE TRADED

11. Raven

Raven Member

Best comment so far this year.

Raven

12. Playercentral

Playercentral Member

Uh NOT

The lack of Practice Yao had with the team in the offseason.
    Rudy Changing the Offense to accomodate Yao somewhat.
    Steve with his turnovers.
    Cat with his ball hogging

I think mentally the organization was drained trying to obtain Yao from China.
    Only player who did show he wanted to play was Cato.
    You know in a way I am excited to see how Cato will be next season...we could have ourselves another Ben Wallace.

New Uni's, New Arena, hey we have something still to be excited about.

I will say this,If Yao has to go to China every year to play more ball during offseason he will never be the solid player we want.
    Other players rest their body and relax. China is gonna beat him in the ground.

And these other players playing these pickup games during offseason does not count.

13. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

It's depressing watching your favorite basketball team not making it to the playoffs because of the same situations then before and keeping our hopes up before the season started and not knowing it was going to end in a heartbreaker with a couple games left in the season....This sucks.. not only did we not make the playoffs but now i'm thinking we lost confidence in some of our players and a lack of improvement (such as Nachbar and Eddie). The Rockets are all talk and less walk. I'm seriously hoping we can change things with the new arena and new uniforms to change their attitudes and raise their confidence level. This year I enjoyed the improvements of Kelvin Cato (Hard on the boards in the minutes that he has), Hawkins (nice defense that should be required in a playoff team), Francis (the games that he decided to put his teammates first as a real point guard), and Posey (doing the dirty work and recieving points by simply moving around). I got more stuff to say but it's just depressing.

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

It may have been better if he did workout during the summer with the team. Instead, the first 20+ games were "welcoming" games to get used to the Rockets and their play.

15. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i read somewhere that no coach in the history of the nba has ever lasted thru 4 straight non-playoff seasons. or was it 4 straight seasons w/ a loosing record?

trade francis!!!

16. drapg

drapg Member

Probably the latter. I believe Lenny Wilkens had at least 4 straight nonplayoff seasons at the beginning of his coaching career.

17. rocketsmetalspd

I can't believe it another year with no playoffs. I hope major changes are in order. Les will not and should not take this anymore. I am sure someting will get done since he will have a new arena to fill. GO ROCKETS!!!!

18. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I don't know his full history but someone like Gene Shue has to be in there somewhere.

He was the definitive mediocre coach.

19. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

This just sucks. We have to watch a bunch of teams that we can beat when both teams bring their "A" game. Unfortunately, the Rox always brought their "D" game. Freaking morons!!!! AGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!! I am enraged with anger!!!!!!!

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

never mind my last post, they were all made with in a min of each other!

Damn...Damn....

Rockets, They do really need to do something. I know Les doesnt want to spend more money than he has too, but we do need a vet of somekind, one to help guide this team to the post season.