1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Novak D-League watch

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by Hayesfan, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Just thought I would share (since I get d-league email updates) how Steve did in the first preseason game for the Vipers.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/Vipers_Down_Jam-244975-1375.html
    They open their regular season on Friday night against the Austin Toros

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

awesome! i should check steve out when they play in anaheim

3. rocketsmetalspd

I plan to check out Steve this season. Last the night the CBA Basketball for the Valley the Silverados played Yakama and Moochie Norris plays for that team. I believe they will play again tomorrow.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Great thread. I hope to see regular updates here. Boxscores would also be nice.

5. Hayesfan

I should be able to post them here when they start the regular season. They didn't have a box score from the pre season game.

You should go see him play YoYo! Make sure you wear that jersey! ;)

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I second that ... thanks for passing along the update, Hayesfan. I can't seem to find a box on the game to see how Novak shot.

7. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

Yeah, way to go Steve.

Novak is Tmac in the NBDL. :p

8. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

Thanks for the update. I was thinking about checking out his stats all day but work has been crazy busy.

9. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

I played against Muoneke in high school! Always thought he'd be a player in NBA...

Well, still in the D league.

Props to Novak. It's good that he's seeing a lot of floor time instead of rotting on the bench here.

10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Here's an article on Novak being w/ the Vipers:

http://www.themonitor.com/sports/vipers_6636___article.html/novak_nba.html

Novak adjusts to RGV
    The Rockets’ Steve Novak doesn’t plan on being a headache

By Todd Mavreles | toddm@themonitor.com
    November 14, 2007 - 9:11PM

PHARR — When one hears about an NBA player being assigned to the NBA Development League, the knee-jerk reaction is to think he’s none to happy about the demotion and likely will be a difficult teammate.

Steve Novak’s only been with the Vipers a few days, but it’s obvious he’s breaking that stereotype of the spoiled NBA player.

Novak has been welcomed with open arms by the Vipers since being sent to the team by the Houston Rockets on Sunday and arriving Monday in the midst of training camp.

“I don’t think any of us is trying to measure ourselves against him because he was in the league. We embrace him like he was one of us,” forward Trent Strickland said. “I think the main thing was that he embraced us and he didn’t act like he was too good for us because he was sent down here. He’s a cool guy.”

After Tuesday’s practice at the Summit Sports Club, the 6-foot-10, 220-pound Novak lifted weights before running 15 minutes of half court sprints and slide drills. His mission is to improve his strength and defense while with the Vipers.

“We have a really good (coaching) staff (with the Rockets) and they really were able to keep me in good shape and really hit the weights hard,” Novak said. “But you can’t replace playing in five-on-five games like I’m going to be doing here. I think that will be very valuable for me to be able to be here.”

Novak hadn’t played in any games for the Rockets after appearing in 35 contests as a rookie last season, when the Marquette University product averaged 1.5 points in 5.5 minutes per game.

The D-League allows two roster exemptions for players assigned from an NBA team. Novak’s addition brings the Vipers’ roster to 12 players. They’ll have to cut one player after their Nov. 20 exhibition game at Bakersfield.

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Good to see Gabe Muoneke playing ball somewhere. I thought he was going to break into the NBA and find a home at some point but I guess that isn't going to happen.

12. Hayesfan

13. stingray88

stingray88 Member

I live about 45 minutes from where the vipers play. Maybe i'll go check out a game or two.

14. Tornadoofsoul6

Hmm..I wonder if we can pick up that CJ Watson guy as an expirement. He seems to put up great numbers.

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Good to see Novak accepting the assignment well. Concern was more if he'd be like "uuugh I'm the D-League :rolleyes:" about it, more than if the RGV people accepted him. But of course its nice they see him as a cool guy.. And seems he's actually gonna use it to DEVELOP aspects of his game, which is all you can ask for.

(Following Novak's much more exciting than following the Rockets team of late)

16. rocketsmetalspd

Vipers won their first game of the season by defeating the Austin Toros 104-97. Novak did not play due to an injury.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://www.themonitor.com/sports/vipers_6828___article.html/season_novak.html

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

19. Matador

Matador Member

Novak is playing tonight vs. Bakersfield

5 minutes left in the game.

Steve has 12 points on 5 of 14 shooting (2 of 6 3 pointers), 3 rebs, 0 assists.

20. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

First, thanks a lot for the Steve Novak news.

Second, sorry for derailing this thread, does anyone know how're Jackie Butler and Mike Harris doing lately?