1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nov 7,1991

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by leebigez, Mar 7, 2010.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Just finished watching the HBO special about Bird v Magic. Once again hbo knocked it out the park and will continue to be the best when it comes to real life,in your face stuff. As i was watching and got to the part about magic holding the press conference announcing he has HIV, i was warped back in the time machine of emotions. I remember the pain going through my body and the shock and the disbelief of what i just heard.

I was at SWT, now known as Texas State University in Jowers just shooting around before practice. Really, i was just a hoop junkie and was hooping with the president of the university just like he was just a normal dude. Coach Woolridge got the team together and said there is something really important on tv. I couldn't believe coach would break up the game over some news about nothing. He turned the tv on and Magic started talking and thats when the news broke. Couldn't believe it and thought it was a hoax or something. So I ask, where were you on that day?

2. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I was around 4 years old, can't say a way a big fan of anything besides Ninja Turtles back then :D.

3. YaosDirtyStache

Damn man, you are old as hell! JK but not really.

Magic to me will always be a classy guy, HIV and all. He played the game with such skill that its hard to view him as anything but one of the best ever.
    He is walking game changer, both in basketball and the ability to inject himself with money, the only cure for HIV

4. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

I was around 1 or 2 years old just learning how to walk and say mommy and daddy, lol. :)

5. leebigez

Yeah, I'm getting up there quickly. My daughter was born october of that year and i was a soph in college. Now i look up and she's in college and i just had another baby girl,wtf was i thinking?:grin: It really was one of those frozen moments in time.

6. ashiin

ashiin Member

I was only 9 months old! I wish I watched basketball during that era, must have been intense.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Can't remember exactly what I was doing but what a moment it was for the NBA. Magic's demeanor when announcing it and the way he carried himself afterwards were incredible.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I watched it last night also. Great documentary.

9. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I was a baby, 1 yr old to be precise..... :eek:

--RB

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Leeb,

I used to hoop with Hardisty too.......he is on my resume tape.

LOL.

DD

11. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

I was in 8th Grade. I remember seeing it on our old floor model tv. I was too young at the time to appreciate the historical significance at the time. Just like a lot of the young Kobe and LBJ fans today, Jordan was my favorite player at the time and nobody else in the league mattered. But looking back, it was definitely one of those "where were you" moments.

12. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

I just had sold my last restaurant and retired because of health reasons I was 44 years old.

I loved to watch Magic back then. I always wished Magic and Dream were on the same team, would have been awesome!

Still retired and hanging around, Rockets and Texans keep my mine occupied. ;)

13. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

The years just fly bye the older you get. Sounds like your little head was doing the thinking :grin: on the last one!

14. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I saw the HBO special yesterday as well. Pretty awesome documentary and really well done. I was too young to understand what happened when Magic announced he had HIV but the documentary certainly did a good job of hitting it home when it came to his story.

15. Kenny536

Kenny536 Member

I was just starting to go through menopause, nature is a b****

16. Tiger23

Tiger23 Member

lol yea i was 6 and TMNT blocked everything else out.. 'go ninja go ninja go!' lol

17. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember exactly where I was when I found out. I was a tech theater kid, it was Nov. of my freshman year in high school. I was walking off the stage after having fixed some lights, and someone said, "Hey, Magic just retired b/c he has AIDS."

I was crushed. That was when my "innocence" was lost.

18. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

Wasn't born yet.

19. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Somewhere in Houston, crying and pooping in me diapers.

20. leebigez

Supple was cool as hell,lol. Old bald white guy hooping wth the young bucks at noon,lol. It was hard playing really hard against him. It was crazy, but he was just a man.