1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nothing's even lukewarm

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by reallyBaked, Jul 24, 2003.

1. reallyBaked

reallyBaked Member

I guess we're fightin this one out with what we've got...

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bb/2009575

Trade winds calm

Astros general manager Gerry Hunsicker said he was not close to acquiring the pitching help he craves.

"Nothing's even lukewarm," Hunsicker said Wednesday night from Lexington, Ky., where he was watching the Astros' Class A Legends.

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I'm happy with what we have. Unless Gerry can find a pitcher who he's sure is going to create an immediate impact, there's really no point in making a trade. Most of the pitchers' names that have been thrown around aren't significantly better than Redding.

3. Buck Turgidson

A lot of things can change in a week.

4. BALLhog 247 365

very typical of hunsicker...he says that every year, and with one hour left to the trade deadline he pulls one.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

honestly...at this point, i'm ok with no trade. i'm more concerned about what we'd be trading away than I am with what we'd get. this team seems to be getting better...i'm not sure i'd make many changes if it involved giving up any regular players.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

They could really use a right handed hitting outfielder with some pop. Unfortunately, Jason Lane is on the DL for the 2nd time with his abdominal problem. They need to cut loose Brian Hunter and find somebody who can consistently pinch hit right handed. If Ensberg is in the game, that leaves Blum, Zaun, Bruntlett or Hunter to bat right handed. It is not good when the best of that bunch (right handed) is Bruntlett.

7. MadMax

i don't disagree...but i wouldn't worry if that's our biggest concern.

who is out there that fits that bill?

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

For their budget, probably nobody. Where is Matt Mieske when you need him? :)

9. MadMax

can you have two p*rn moustaches in a lineup?? i think there's a rule against that. if not, there should be.

10. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Maybe a tad bit better than lukewarm...

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bb/2014015

Deal a possibility

Astros general manager Gerry Hunsicker, who has had his senior major-league scouts in search of pitching for more than two weeks, isn't ruling out making a deal in the near future.

"We got some things going," he said. "We've got some conversations alive."

The pitching options available haven't been very impressive lately, but Hunsicker admits some of the names coming on the radar screen are becoming more intriguing.

"Things can change quickly closer to the deadline," Hunsicker said.

11. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

They had a scout at Yankee Stadium watching Weaver pitch. I wonder what, if any, new names have come about.

12. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Probably none.

13. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Well they definitely need to pick up a pitcher for the stretch run. The bullpen has been saving the team's bacon for a while now and its time for the starting pitching to step it up.

Even with how well the Astros starting pitching has been picking up lately, I still feel a little uneven about Villone, Rodriguez and Redding pitching.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

We've had the best starting rotation in the NL since Memorial Day...over two months.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Ausmus, Weaver's fpormer catcher, believes JW will flourish away from NYYs.

NY paper linked rey Sanchez with 'stros and Mariners. Who Rey? Take that Rey of sunshine to the Pacific Northwest!

16. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Rey Sanchez is a washed up short stop... he's not coming here, makes no sense

17. JPM0016

ESPN INSIDER Rumor Central is reporting the astros have interest in expos pitcher Livan Hernandez. Makes sense, from our standpoint, this guy is regarded as an "innings eater"

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

And Jimy is a starter eater.

19. JPM0016

I'm glad he yanks the starters before they dig themselves into huge holes. The astros no way would have had 50 wins at the allstar break had he not done that.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Nothing lukeworm? Dan Micelli is a 'stro. The Series is ours!