1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[#NoCollusion] Should Trump go after the media and Democrats?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Mar 25, 2019.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I too find that I can not help people get annoyed while I am being annoying.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can only hope that @NewRoxFan will come to my defense

#102 Os Trigonum, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    TheresTheDagger and cml750 like this.
  3. biff17

biff17 Member

I don't have an issue with reading and watching alternative viewpoints, I listen to Rush, Medved and Hannity on my commute and I way h Fox and Newsmax from time to time just to see what other people are talking about.

I agree you can post what you want but at least don't run from your true motivations are.

dmoneybangbang and Os Trigonum like this.
  4. biff17

biff17 Member

This.

Exactly this.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

fair enough. although in this case my "true motivations" (if even I can discern them) include a sense of altruism in providing the full text of an opinion piece in the WSJ that is probably paywalled for most posters here. Honestly, that is my motivation--that, and thinking that some people would welcome reading such a piece (and people here meaning people on both sides).

I do this in the GARM as well . . . you can check and verify that. There's not always something pernicious in my posting habits. I'll try to warn you if and ever there is, however. ;) some sort of trigger warning perhaps

jcf likes this.
  6. biff17

biff17 Member

Atruism?

You have got to be joking.

And we all know what your true motivation is and your post on D&D make that abundantly clear.

i am not the one that needs a trigger warning you where the one accusing me of some kind of personal reproach.

7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

well, thanks for calling me a liar I guess.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I personally find zero value is added to the bbs by reading the opinions of non-posters. I can't argue with non-posters. If it's just for my edification, I can google. However, apparently there are other posters who like the posting on non-posters' opinions, e.g.:

So, do whatever. Apparently you have customers. I'm learning to just keep on scrolling when I see an Os editorial. I'm mostly annoyed about the recurring argument of "Why do you post this way?" vs "Why do you complain about the way I post?" Surely all the regulars should get it by now?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

Well stop hiding behind some faux “moderate Democrat altruism”. Seems universal that people don’t like phoney, deceptive folks. Pretty simple.

Be you and be honest about it girlfriend.

biff17 likes this.
  10. biff17

biff17 Member

Your welcome.

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

fify

12. dmoneybangbang

Seriously.... people aren’t fooled by that type of behavior.

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I'm impressed and flattered by the level of interest in my posting habits. Probably deserves its own thread

dachuda86, TheresTheDagger and cml750 like this.
  14. biff17

biff17 Member

Thanks

You're doing God's work.

15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

from your mouth to His ears

16. dmoneybangbang

But you didn’t respond directly to my flattery, I need feedback. Too much flattery?

17. biff17

biff17 Member

The saddest part is that you think you are clever and getting away with something.

SMH.

18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

the saddest thing is you think you can read my mind

cml750 likes this.
  19. biff17

biff17 Member

Gonna keep up that shtick huh?

Sad

20. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

for the record, I agree with the argument in this WSJ opinion piece: this was a catastrophic media failure. @biff17 @NewRoxFan @No Worries @FranchiseBlade

And contra @B-Bob who in another thread asked (and this is a very, very good question), "what else would you expect the media to have done?" To which I would reply and argue that there is a SIGNIFICANT difference between "reporting" the news and . . . well, whatever this was: hyping the news? spinning the news? faking the news? fueling the derangement syndrome?

but I digress. full text altruistically provided for the paywall-impaired:

A Catastrophic Media Failure
    America’s blue-chip journalists botched the Russia story from its birth to its final breath Sunday.
    By
    Sean Davis
    March 25, 2019 7:10 p.m. ET

Robert Mueller’s investigation is over, but questions still abound. Not about collusion, Russian interference or obstruction of justice, but about the leading lights of journalism who managed to get the story so wrong, and for so long.

It wasn’t merely an error here or there. America’s blue-chip journalists botched the entire story, from its birth during the presidential campaign to its final breath Sunday—and they never stopped congratulating themselves for it. Last year the New York Times and Washington Post shared a Pulitzer Prize “for deeply sourced, relentlessly reported coverage in the public interest that dramatically furthered the nation’s understanding of Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election and its connections to the Trump campaign, the President-elect’s transition team and his eventual administration.” A 2017 Time magazine cover depicted the White House getting a “makeover” to transform it into the Kremlin.

All based on a theory—that the president of the United States was a Russian asset—produced by a retired foreign spy whose work was funded by the Democratic National Committee and Hillary Clinton’s campaign. An unbiased observer would have taken the theory’s partisan provenance as a red flag, but most political journalists saw nothing but green lights. No unverified rumor was too salacious and no anonymous tip was too outlandish to print. From CNN to the Times and the Post, from esteemed and experienced reporters to opinion writers and bloggers, everyone wanted a share of the Trump-treason beat. What good is the 21st-century Watergate if you don’t at least make an effort to cast yourself as the fearless journalist risking it all who got that one big tip that brought down a president?

Not only did the press fail to destroy Donald Trump’s presidency; it provided voluminous evidence for his repeated charge of “fake news.”

Take CNN. The network reported in December 2017 that Donald Trump Jr. received special email access to stolen documents before their public release by WikiLeaks—an accusation that, if true, could have proved the president’s inner circle was colluding with Russian hackers intent on taking down Mrs. Clinton. But it turned out “the most trusted name in news” misreported the dates on the unsolicited emails to the president’s son. They had been sent to him days afterWikiLeaks had published the pilfered documents. CNN still hasn’t explained why it failed to do basic due diligence on such an important story.

Another CNN foul-up came in June 2017, the month after President Trump fired James Comey as director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Mr. Trump said Mr. Comey had assured him three times that he wasn’t under FBI investigation. The network reported Mr. Comey would directly refute the president’s claim under oath. In reality, Mr. Comey’s own memos explicitly confirmed Mr. Trump’s statement.

A December 2016 Washington Post story “incorrectly said that Russian hackers had penetrated the U.S. electric grid,” as a later editor’s note acknowledged. “Authorities say there is no indication of that so far.” Slate falsely claimed in October 2016 that Mr. Trump’s computers were secretly sharing information with a Russian bank as part of a scheme to avoid detection.

Each new claim, true or not, became fodder for political pundits. Sure, there may be no actual smoking gun or verified information or anything even approximating evidence, but if you take all the disparate pieces and put them on the same corkboard, stand back at just the right distance, and squint really hard, you can almost make out a barrel and a plume of smoke.

Enter Jonathan Chait of New York magazine, author of the classic 2003 article “Why I Hate George W. Bush.” (“I hate the way he walks. . . . I hate the way he talks. . . . I even hate the things that everybody seems to like about him.”) Last July, before Mr. Trump met Mr. Putin in Helsinki, Mr. Chait penned a nearly 8,000-word piece titled “Will Trump Be Meeting With His Counterpart—or His Handler?” Mr. Chait’s speculation—that “Trump has been a Russian asset since 1987”—was worthy of the late Lyndon LaRouche.

In a January 2019 Twitter thread, meanwhile, New York Times columnist Paul Krugman asserted that “the failure to connect the dots on Trump-Russia” was one of the “big failures of 2016 campaign coverage.” He added: “There is no sin quite as offensive as challenging conventional wisdom early, and then being proved right.”

Many in Washington and around the country believed Mr. Mueller’s investigation would put the entire issue to rest. If there was collusion, he’d find it. If there was obstruction of justice, he’d prosecute it. Whatever he found, the nation would accept it and move on. “The best thing for our country is that Trump is innocent and that Mueller tells us he’s found nothing,” Garrett Graff of Wired tweeted Thursday, the day before Mr. Mueller submitted his report to Attorney General William Barr. “Mueller got everything he wanted,” Mr. Graff wrote Friday. “Never blocked by DOJ in pursuing something he requested. That’s big.”

But the next day, Mr. Graff excoriated Nikki Haley for agreeing: “No, everyone does not have to acknowledge that Trump didn’t interfere with Mueller,” Mr. Graff tweeted Saturday at the former United Nations ambassador. By Monday Mr. Graff was insisting that “a million questions” about Trump-Russia collusion remain.

Likewise, on Monday the irrepressible Mr. Chait insisted the president could still be guilty: “People who want to demonstrate their innocence make displays of cooperation with investigators,” he wrote. “His flamboyant refusal to cooperate deprives Trump of any claim to having been cleared.”

So much for accepting Robert Mueller’s conclusions and recommendations. If your objective is to bring down Mr. Trump, nothing Mr. Mueller or anyone else finds—or fails to find—makes a difference. Mr. Trump didn’t collude with Russia, but he did defeat Mrs. Clinton. From their behavior it is evident that many in the media view that as sufficient to establish his guilt. For them, the Trump-Russia investigation was never about protecting democracy or securing elections—never mind telling the truth, which is supposed to be their job.

Mr. Davis is a co-founder of the Federalist.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-catastrophic-media-failure-11553555444?mod=hp_opin_pos1

jcf likes this.